Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rross_gw

Fragrant roses for afternoon sun?

rross
10 years ago

I'm creating a new garden that will have full afternoon sun all year round and no morning sun at all. From what I've read, this isn't ideal for roses but I would like to include a few. I've currently got Angel Face, Ebb Tide and Souvenir de la Malmaison in pots in morning sun. Do you think any of them would survive in the new space where Summer temps would average in the 30s (Celsius) in the humid summer and around 16 degrees in the winter here in Sydney? I think we're zone 10.

If you don't think so, could you recommend any fragrant roses that like afternoon sun?
Thanks.

Comments (9)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

In the dry heat of my garden, Angel Face stands up quite well, but Jude the Obscure's blooms do fade some and dry up quickly. The most heat tolerant rose I have, and it does get hot here, is Julia Child. Frederic Mistral does quite well, too. Both JC and FM never quit blooming for me, either. As far as Austins that do well in the heat for me, Golden Celebration is the best, but Princess Alexandra of Kent is good, though her blooms blow easily, but then she is always blooming, as is Golden Celebration. Munstead Wood looks like it will be a good one so far, and Evelyn does fairly well, too. Ebb Tide fades terribly in the heat--I have three in two locations and they all look equally faded during the hot summer whether they have a western or southern exposure. I prefer Twilight Zone for its deep purple holding power. TZ is the offspring of ET, and there is a lot of resemblance between the two roses. Easy Does is a work horse so far in the heat, though it's still a baby. It's always in bloom. All the Austins I've mentioned are fragrant, and Frederic Mistral has an outstanding fragrance. Diane

• rross
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I think I might try Julia Child (Soul Mate here) for a start.

• bart_2010
    10 years ago

Does anyone know if most ramblers would do well in only-afternoon sun, please? bart

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Papa Meilland and Perfume Delight will still be fragrant in afternoon sun. Fragrant Cloud is good too. I agree about FM but that is a very large rose for a Hybrid Tea so be forewarned.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Yes, Frederic is big and wide, but so are all the roses I mentioned, except Angel Face. In hot, sunny locations, most Austin roses grow large, and my two Julia Child roses are about 6'X6'. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Oops, I forgot that Ebb Tide is not large, either. Diane

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I really donâÂÂt have much gardening space with morning sun only, so all my roses get either all day sun or afternoon sun. With the exception of some of the lavenders, most do very well in the hot sun here (our average summers are mid to upper nineties with very high humidity). I donâÂÂt grow any Austins, thoughâ¦I think a lot of them prefer some afternoon shade in my climate. . Fragrant Cloud and Dolly Parton are both exceptionally fragrant and seem to adore the heat and sun. Others that come to mind as very fragrant and very heat/sun tolerant in my garden are Julia Child (I keep mine pruned to about 5 X 4 and she doesn't seem to mind), White Licorice, Firefighter, Royal Amethyst, Double Delight and Perfume Delight. And hereâÂÂs Grand Dame thriving in all day sun. SheâÂÂs VERY fragrant (old rose scent) and has the old fashioned nodding bloom formâ¦she really is grand!

• blocke19
    10 years ago

I have a similar bed and those that do best in it are Frederic Mistral, Pope John Paul II, SDLM, McCartney rose and Golden Celebration. Frederic is now 6x6! and covered in blooms