Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starfire

Posted by idaf Z7 AL (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 8:03

I have searched the web for a picture of Starfire.I only found one clump shot that could have been anything. Just wonder if someone would please share your garden close-up of Starfire. This is the old 1957 rose.
Thanks, Ida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starfire

This is one of the better pictures I have of my plant of Starfire, grandiflora, AARS 1959.

Starfire-3

It has been doing better this year. If you can keep it sprayed and healthy, it does reasonably well. It is a good garden rose, but one thing I notice is that the flower stems are on the short side for show table purposes. It has what is known as "decorative" form as opposed to the "exhibition" form, but that doesn't mean it won't look good in the garden. I hope this helps.

o

• Posted by idaf Z7 AL (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 11, 09 at 7:33

Thanks for the pic of Starfire. That is a very good pic, but I'm still not totally convinced that is the rose I am searching for. Does your Starfire shade lighter toward the center or is it mainly one color? The description describes it as being crimson, but then the description has been around a while.
Thanks again! Ida

o

There is only one Starfire listed in the Modern Roses XI that I have. There is a MR XII out, but I don't have it. My Starfire is pretty much uniformly colored. The camera and the light show it as shading, but it really doesn't do that.

o

I had Starfire years ago when I gardened in S.CA. Don't remember much about it other than it had a nice color.
Anyway there is a picture of it in Sterling Macoboy's book Modern & old Garden Roses. Also check HelpMeFind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here