Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teka2rjleffel

Help with rose, photo

teka2rjleffel
10 years ago

The rose (Crepescule) is huge. It fills the entire area. It got so big that I started wrapping it back around. It is maybe 15' at this time. It is healthy, but that baby just will not bloom. The bed is fed with organics, compost, fish fertilizer, during the winter alfalfa tea, but it hasn't had that in months. It mainly is compost. This rose is 5 years old. Thoughts on how to prod it to bloom?
{{gwi:323884}}

Comments (14)

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

That is really strange. Mine bloomed from the get-go, even in its one gallon pot before planting. However, I had climbing C. Brunner that didn't bloom for three years. I shovel pruned it before I knew many climbers don't bloom for at least three years.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You can trust that it really is Crépuscule? You might check what organics you're using to insure they're not primarily nitrogen with too little phosphorus. The plant obviously receives enough nitrogen or it wouldn't have grown so vigorously in those five years. What is the sun exposure, how many hours daily? You may need to include an inorganic source of phosphorus next spring to "give it the idea." KIm

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had one bloom while it was still in the pot and it looked right. It is in full sun. I've given it bone meal. I may have to do something inorganic. Thanks FloridaRoses and Kim.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest not enough sun but you say it's in full sun so I'm puzzled. You could try a bloom building fertilizer but they often work at the expense of the plant.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

I would try a tablespoon of something like Miracle Grow in a gallon of water every two weeks. In our sand, that won't be harmful. That ought to give it a kick in the seat of the pants. I use a 20-20-20 I get from a local company that is relatively inexpensive compared to MG. I have done this successfully with roses that didn't seem to be thriving here. I have done it as often as once a week for a short period of time.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I can't believe that this is an issue of nutrition. If a repeating rose is growing, it ought to be blooming, normally in the first year, much less the fifth. I suspect the rose was mislabeled or else it has mutated. Maybe it is a once-bloomer that isn't getting enough chill.

And there is really no evidence that extra phosphorus promotes bloom.

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe it was mislabeled. I got it from an old rose nursery. I know nurseries mix things up like we all do.I looked up this rose on help me find. It doesn't say thornless, but mine is or pretty close at least not a lot of mean ones. It is easy to handle and it is very flexible. It is extremely healthy. Nothing seems to bother it. Anyone who owns it, is that the case with yours?

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another thought. My neighbor has a huge ficus tree (serious water hogs). Roses should do well in this bed but don't. Other plants with lower water requirements seem fine there. The tree doesn't shade this bed, but I've heard that ficus tree roots will go into 2nd story plumbing for water. I don't know if that's true, I do know very little grows along the back fence that the tree is near. No matter how much I water plants are dry there.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Could you post closeups of leaf (with something to scale it) and reverse and stems?

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Even if it was mislabeled, it should bloom next Spring (nurseries do not stock roses that never bloom). I had a Belle Portugaise that did not bloom unitl its fifth Spring, and it has bloomed happily ever since.

If it was mine, I would follow floridarose's advice and see what happens in the Spring. Then take lots of pics and post on here!

Jackie

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Yes, Ficus ANYTHING, creeping, trees, etc., are all water hogs and terribly, extremely invasive. But, if your plant is growing and healthy, I seriously doubt the theft of water from it from any other roots is the non blooming issue. Water stress shows more quickly by forced mildew and lack of growth, neither of which your plant seems to express from your descriptions of it. Kim

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

The foliage on mine is apple green and it is pretty much thornless. New canes are pretty flexible, but the main canes on mine are almost tree-like, very thick.

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I would describe it as apple green. None of mine are terribly thick yet, but new growth is very flexible. Thanks for the advice regarding the water Kim. Michael I will grab a leaf or two in the morning and post them, thanks. Jackie that is encouraging. I shouldn't have to wait long. Roses do much better here in the winter, so when it cools down it may bloom in it's 5th year.

• teka2rjleffel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My hands are fairly small, size 5 ring.
    {{gwi:323885}}
    {{gwi:323886}}