Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justmoll2583_gw

Thornless Climbing Roses

justmoll2583
10 years ago

my husband and I are interested in planting some climbing roses to climb up around our porch in front of our house. The area gets full Sun. However, we do have three young children who like to play outside so we are preferring to find thornless climbing roses as possible. Do they exist? If so, does anyone know of any that would grow up and down 6 and what kind might they be? Thank you!

Comments (6)

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    10 years ago

Hi justmoll2583,

Yes, they exist :) One of them is Zephirine Drouhin.

Attached is its image from Jackson&Perkins and the links. On J&P they mentioned that it is mildew resistant and its has good reviews from users. However, on helptofind it said that it's susceptible to blackspot and mildew. I guess it is depend on where you plant it in your garden.

I bought mine last year but it already had mildew from a local nursery and the sale person said it has been treated for mildew and the mildew will be gone soon. After waiting for one week, it still has mildew and the place where I plan to plant it doesn't have a lot of sun so I returned it. If you get full sun then it may work really well for you.

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/product.aspx?p=39970&CAPCID=9798220377&cadevice=c&gclid=CMLGo9P4r7kCFY9eQgodzW4Amg&CA_6C15C=120019350000012161

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2572

• joshtx
    10 years ago

It may worth the while to look up Austin's 'Crown Princess Margareta.'

• User
    10 years ago

I have both DZ and CPM. Both of my DZs are 3-year old, grown as stand-alone bushes instead of climbers. Not too much of repeat to speak off. I am hoping to get some repeat as the bushes mature. (Another Bourbon I have, Louise Ordier, did not repeat for its first two years in my garden, but is having its third bloom cycles of the season right now. So I am hoping ZD will do better next season.) I don't spray and both bushes still have about 90% of foliage. I heard various reports on its lack of resistance to blackspot, but it has not been my experience so far (fingers crossed). CPM does have a few thorns although you can say it is almost thornless.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

My favorites in my area are Zeffy (I really want her sport 'Martha'), Renae and Purezza. Renae and Zeffy are the smoothest and extremely 'safe' if you don't want to get snagged.

You'd have to ask around about hardiness because I'm warmer than you.

Renae blooms very frequently with a great fragrance, too. She's my go-to thornless climber because she's so easy and floriferous. Her color is a pink-white (here) that blends with everything.

Zeffy is perfect for me, except she doesn't rebloom very often. I still love her.

Purezza is a Lady Banks rose that reblooms. She's one of my favorite roses -- in pure, gorgeous white -- but you'd have to find out her hardiness limits. She doesn't rebloom anywhere near as often as Renae, but she has that banksia charm going on with clusters and clusters of small blooms.

I haven't ever had Reine des Violettes, but that is another thornless rose I'd love to try.

I have and adore a rose called Weeping China Doll, but she seems to like being a huge weepy mound and I don't know how much maintenance training up would be. She's a fabulous rose if you can grow her. Always in bloom, she's my backbone for bright pink color throughout the summer. I have her spilling out onto my tiny front bistro patio, and she is so thornless that it doesn't bother anything to do that.

I'm sorry if most of my favorites are for warmer zones! If you can't find out if they are hardy enough, I'd be happy to send cuttings so you can root them up and experiment :) Just drop me a line (spring is better unless you have a warm enough place to do cuttings in winter).

Check out the hybrid musks, too. I know that I've read that some are thornless and lovely as climbers, because I need to get those one day myself :)

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

Barfield White Climber

Here is a link that might be useful: BWC

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Was Barfield White Climber found in Florida?

ZD produced two sports, Kathleen Harrop, which is a silvery pink and Martha. KH is quite nice, a lovely color. Martha I have not seen, I understand it is more a salmon color. I love ZD, but the color is a bit in your face. Some people can't stand it. ZD should be possible in zone 6, especially with a south or east exposure.