Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nastarana

Opinions of 'Nantucket'

nastarana
10 years ago

or its' sport parent 'Chante'?

Palatine Roses is offering 'Nantucket' this year. I never heard of it before. the pix on HMF show a nicely shaped rose with pretty soft colors, blending something like the way colors shade in a tea rose. Palatine is listing it as hardy from 5b to 9b.

Comments (14)

• windeaux
    10 years ago

I'm very glad to learn that 'Nantucket' is available at Palatine. Pickering listed it for many years, but discontinued it in 2011.

I'm a great fan of this rose. The health of its foliage is better than average in my garden. It's a relatively tall plant, produces well and has good repeat -- but with the usual reduction in bloom size when temps soar here. I'm especially fond of the color of the blooms -- neither really pink nor coral, but a unique shade in between that "carries" really well without being garish.

Altho is was discovered in an Ohio nursery, 'Nantucket' should, I feel, be considered a Kordes rose since 'Chantre' (its sport parent) is a product of that German nursery. 'Nantucket' is among the very few sports that came to be more widely grown than its parent. I'm not sure why that came to be, because I've read very good reports on 'Chantre'. Perhaps 'Nantucket' prevailed simply because of its wonderful color.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I ordered one. HMF shows less of the blended color in some photos. It might be like my Lady Jane and wait for cool temps to display the blended look. If I get anything like that photo, I'll be so happy. I have been impressed with all my Kordes roses from Palatine.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Well, I don't know what Palatine is selling as NANTUCKET, but it doesn't look anything like their photo or description. It's not apricot or apricot blend. It's a pure solid salmon-coral-pink color much like SONIA and CHERISH. Grows tall and has lovely shaped blooms. Not one of my favorites, mainly because of the solid color. I like blends better. But the form is really great on it and repeat is decent.

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, Beth. It kind of sounds (and looks) as though Palatine is selling 'Chantré', or a 'Nantucket' reversion to 'Chantré'.

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Duplicate post, AGAIN. What gives around here these days? Glitches aplenty . . .

This post was edited by jaxondel on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 22:42

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

This picture is unlike the one in the Palatine catalog, but it's a beauty. I think I will like whatever it turns out to be. I wonder if the rose from Palatine really is old Nantucket .

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo from HMF

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Kordes is FAMOUS for reusing names, because they can get more mileage out of the trademarking fees for the name that they've already paid for the earlier version of a rose by the same name.

And Palatine usually gets Kordes latest releases directly from Europe.

Just saying . . .

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Gets very tall in my garden. Good disease resistance.

• lynnette
    10 years ago

On the way over . Has a good fragrance.

• nastarana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is just one scrumptious rose, Lynette. I already ordered my three from Palatine this year, and I doubt I can manage another three, especially since Palatine only charged my account for half the cost and I will have to make sure I have funds in the same account to cover the remainder three weeks before the shipping date which is not till next spring.

Maybe some online chatter will convince an American nursery to pick this one up.

• windeaux
    10 years ago

Kstrong -- A point of clarification: Kordes has never used the name Nantucket. If they're using it now for a new introduction, they're employing a name conferred by a U.S. grower on a rose discovered in a U.S. nursery.

I become as aggravated as anyone by Kordes's re-use and even re-re-use of names, but I doubt they would opt to use the name of an American island to name a new rose. Another Chantre, prehaps, but a Kordes Nantucket? Nah, I don't think so.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Maybe the name changed to sell it here. Heaven on Earth was Avril Elizabeth home somewhere else.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Jax, that would be interesting if they did have CHANTRE instead! Looks like a lovely rose from the photos on HMF You guys who bought it will have to keep us all posted as to what the blooms end up looking like!

Here's a shot of my NANTUCKET
    {{gwi:323974}}

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Palatine has always promoted Kordes roses, but they're not making any association between Kordes and the rose they're offering as 'Nantucket'. In their online catalog, Palatine identifies Kern as the "breeder". Kern was the Ohio nurseryman who discovered the sport.

Palatine's description of the color blend sure doesn't match the photos or support some of the comments that have been posted here.