Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Grass B Gone around roses

Posted by redsox Z6 KY (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 9:04

We have a small bed with Peace and Chicago Peace. Also in this bed is a butterfly bush, liriope, peonies, coreopsis, veronica, daylilies etc. Some of these were inherited with the house but in any case, in this bed we get tall grass late in the season. I take this to be bermuda grass?

I would like to use Grass B Gone to get rid of the grass but is it safe to use around the roses? I was thinking of covering the roses with grocery store plastic bags while spraying.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Grass B Gone around roses

Grass B Gone (Fluazifop-p-butyl, aka "floozie-flop") should be OK (Weed B Gone is not OK), but I would make sure not to get it on the roses. If you could paint it on instead of spraying, that would be best.

o

Would it be a problem for the liriope or is that actually a grass

o

Debbie, I have used grass b gone numerous times around my roses without covering them and it did not harm them.
I just take a piece of cardboard and place it between the rose and the grass I am spraying just to be safe. I'm sure there may be some overspray doing it this way but I haven't seen any damage at all.

Joe, lirope is not a grass, it is a member of the lily family.

Carol

o

Great, I'll use the cardboard or a bag to be careful. We have sprayed it around the liriope before with no problems.

o

I've used it around my roses and haven't noticed any harm to my roses. I do try to avoid as much as possible to not directly spray the rose bushes.

o

I've sprayed it directly on the roses and never seen the slightest bit of damage - after all, we pay extra for this stuff so that we don't have to do the whole cardboard / baggie thing, right? I only paint on when using glycophosphate (Roundup).

o

I've sprayed Grass B Gone directly on my roses and haven't seen any ill effects. I pretty much only use it for grass growing right in the rose where I can't use Roundup because the Grass B Gone doesn't work terribly well for me. I usually have to spray the grass twice before it starts to die.

o

Grass B gone takes a while-the grass has to be actively growing for it to work but it will not hurt the roses. If the grass is producing seed heads that is too late. I have Quack grass that gets into the root systems around my gallicas and I will use GBG when I have too..it can take several weeks before I see good results but patience is the name of the game...

patricia

o

The chemical in Grass B Gon is labeled as safe for 'over the top' application on roses, and most other broadleafs. 'Over the top' means that you can spray it right over the entire bed without harm to your roses. I don't go quite that far . . . I spray around the roses, but I don't worry if it gets on them. It's a selective herbicide that only kills plants in the grass family -- like the chemical in weed and feed only kills broadleaf weeds and leaves your lawn unharmed.

I keep a bottle of GBG handy to get the Bermuda that creeps into my front borders under the brick edge. (I buy it in the concentrate form now, sold as Ornamec.) As soon as the grass shows up, I shoot it with GBG. It works very well.

Connie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here