Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Roses that never bloomed this year

bellarosa
9 years ago

As I look back at the roses in my yard, I think it was a good year for my roses. One rose though that I'm not sure why it never bloomed is my Eden rose. It did produce a few long glossy canes, but it never, ever bloomed. I did feed it once with Magic Mils. The roses around her bloomed - Laguna and Amadeus. BTW, my Eden was planted this year in early Spring. Eden is also in full sun. Any ideas why she wouldn't have bloomed this year?

Comments (20)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Since it's so new and climbers take a lot of time to establish I wouldn't worry about it yet. It should bloom next spring. If it doesn't then I might be more concerned.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

What Seil said.

Kate

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

My new climbers I planted this year only bloomed once and then concentrated on growing and climbing.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I've grown Eden on two different occasions, and if I remember correctly, it didn't put out much of a bloom (if at all) until its 3rd year.

Many climbers take 3-5 years to really settle in and start full blooming.

Kate

• User
    9 years ago

Climbers Bloom more from the Lateral shoots off the main cane. There is a good Paul Zimmerman you tube video.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Sleeps, creeps, leaps.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your advice. My Eden grew to about 3 feet and has glossy leaves. I'll be patient. I'm sure she's worth the wait.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Yes, Eden is worth the wait.

Eden
    {{gwi:233097}}

Kate

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Your Eden is exquisite!

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

Mine still hasn't bloomed after being cut to the ground by the brutal winter! Her roots let her grow fast with great foliage, but I'm bummed she didn't have it in her to bloom this year. I am just happy she made it, though. Lots of mine didn't!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Meredith, I have several roses, including non-climbers, that as a result of the brutal winter, had to be cut to the ground and haven't bloomed (or very little) this summer although the foliage growth has been vigorous and healthy. I'm not sure why brutal winters would keep them from blooming, but that seems to be a common problem.

Kate

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

I have had Eden for 15years or more, it has been moved twice and froze to the ground this past winter; every time this happens no blooms. It is a wonderful rose, but it resents moves and severe pruning. Your rose will be lovely next year but you may have to protect it if there is another bad winter.
    roseberri

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate, wow, that's beautiful. I can only hope that my little Eden will grow up to be as tall and as beautiful as yours. LOL.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Thank you, roseberri, for that info. That was my experience with my first Eden some years ago, but I wasn't sure how common that experience was. My present Eden is only in its second year--hope it gets its first blooms next year.

And thank you, bella, for the compliment to my previous Eden . I hope my present one also grows as tall and beautiful as the first one did. : )

Kate

9 years ago

Oh, good! Thank y'all for the info. I was getting scared that Eden could somehow be rootstock now, even though I can see where the old graft is, lol.

My Cl Maman Cochet didn't bloom until now, and she was the only other one who hadn't bloomed after the awful winter. She has a great flush now, so she resents losing her canes but not as much as Eden, apparently :)

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

Glad to be of any help, so many of you have helped me figure my plants out in the past! And Kate that Eden of yours is just lovely! I hope everyone gets nice blooms next year!
    roseberri

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

Worst case scenario:
    the new canes are from the Dr. Huey rootstock and the only blooms that will happen will be next spring and they'll be red.
    For this reason, do all you can to protect the 2014 canes through this winter.

9 years ago

Ann, yep :) I have some Huey that a neighbor gave to me as a beautiful red rose and made me plant where she could see it bloom, lol, so I have compared leaves. I'm thinking not Huey, but it's close enough that I may be protecting Huey canes all winter. That's OK. The neighbors love him :D

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Worst case scenario is that it dies back every winter past its comfort zone and never blooms. Eden isn't a rose for zone pushing. Dr. Huey will at least put on some kind of display.