Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariou_gw

Small white or cream shrub rose

mariou
14 years ago

Can anyone kindly recommend a white or yellow shrub rose that stays small- around 3'x3'? I read about Glamis Castle but there seem to be complaints that the flowers nod on weak stems. My favorite form is the cupped shape of David Austins, but I can be flexible ;-) Fragrance, is a plus, of course, but not mandatory ;-)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• michaelg
    14 years ago

A couple of oldish roses-- Kronprinzessin Viktoria, sport of Souvenir de la Malmaison, and the polyantha Katerina (Katharina) Zeimet, both white.

KpV has good sized, cuttable, very double, fragrant flowers, near continuous bloom. Prefers warm or hot summers. Will have some winter damage around 5 F.

KZ has small, semidouble, very fragrant, pure white flowers. Disease resistant and hardy; glossy dark green foliage. Needs deadheading for good repeat. 2h x 3w.

Both of these are relatively untroubled by thrips and Botrytis petal blight, compared to other white roses.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

If you give us a general idea of where you live, that would give more help.

A newer rose is Bolero (Bolero 2000), which is has the form that you desire, and is fragrant. It is reported to be disease resistant here, but reports across the country have varied.

You might also look up the polyantha White Pet (also called "Little White Pet" in some places). The bloom is smaller (1 to 1.5 inches), but when it is in full flush, it looks almost like a little poodle (with less mess!). I grow it no spray, and it looks good for most of the year.

• pauline-vi-8
    14 years ago

Not really a shrub, but a terrific floribunda. CREAM ABUNDANCE!

{{gwi:324304}}

{{gwi:223031}}

• jim_w_ny
    14 years ago

One of my currently favorite roses is Tantau's Rokoko. The color at first glance seems to be white but when switching to looking at a white rose it is definitely not white. A color that stands out, cream or buff. The form is also outstanding. A true semi-double with ruffled petals. Long lasting.

I don't know how big it will be as mine are new. Books say 4-5' and bushy.

It is quite a rarity in this country actually only available, at last count, from 3 Canadian nurseries.

• scardan123
    14 years ago

Irene watts is another lovely rose you might like! very carefree too.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:324301}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

'Little White Pet' has been wonderful. I don't know how cold-hardy it is. 'Bolero' is lovely as well, and very fragrant. That 'Cream Abundance' looks absolutely gorgeous, too. Sigh, so many good roses, so little room for them all...

• msjam2
    14 years ago

Mary Magdalene, her fragrance is very much like Tamora, BUT to my nose, she's fragrant anytime of the day unlike Tamora.
    {{gwi:222832}}
    {{gwi:222833}}

• windeaux
    14 years ago

. . . if Scardan's suggestion, "Irene Watts" (aka 'Pink Gruss an Aachen') isn't quite the color you're seeking, check out its sport parent, 'Gruss an Aachen' -- a lovely, creamy white with sometimes a faint tinge of pink.

• rayrose
    14 years ago

Try the floribunda Saratoga.

• cjrosaphile
    14 years ago

I can tell you a rose to avoid. This past season, I got Out of the Night which is related (sport?) of Out of Yesteryear. And it has been a mess. Balling in the heat, balling in the rain. Have never really even seen what its bloom look like unballed.

Pope John Paul II has not gotten very large for me. It does not have the Austin flat bloom, but it has a lot of petals as well. Austin doesn't seem to have a very good white that I have seen. My mother in law grew Glamis Castle and it did horribly. The bloom was more rounded and did not open flat. Am still looking for a wonderful smaller flat and fragrance white rose. I'll be paying attention to this thread. Good luck, CJ

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

A couple that are new to me that are absolutely WONDERFUL so far are the polyantha "Lullaby" and the floribunda "Louisa Stone". Lullaby is one of those roses that makes you happy every time you walk by it. I don't spray, and both have been perfectly clean. I've had the same experience as CJ with Out of the Night--it's gone now.

Lullaby:

{{gwi:324308}}

Louisa Stone:
    {{gwi:324310}}

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

I am TOTALLY with pauline: CREAM ABUNDANCE!!!

{{gwi:285317}}

I can't believe I don't have a full-bush shot! Sorry. Mine is an amazing size for a second-year band from Heirloom.

• cweathersby
    14 years ago

Bolero.
    Small plant, large cupped white blooms, exceedingly fragrant, and completely 100% disease resistant.
    I stopped spraying last year and since then have decided that this is the perfect rose.

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

Northern Accents Ole Rose...stays a very compact 3' X 3'.

Blooms in cluster flushes. Has a slight pink blush.

{{gwi:252248}}

• teka2rjleffel
    14 years ago

Pauline and Greenhaven, Cream Abundance is gorgeous as are your photos. I love the touch of peach at the center.
    MAJAM, I'm glad to see someone else touting Mary Magdeline besides me. I love that rose and your's looks so pretty in that mixed bed.
    Nancy

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

would Bolero look good next to Gemini?

• jaxondel
    14 years ago

Well, white roses tend to look good next to about anything.

• kittymoonbeam
    14 years ago

White Pet is tidy and blooms well for me. A taller bush that I love is French Lace, which is nearly white for me in the summer when it's warm. Grussie's a favorite- would never want a garden without that rose in it.