Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Palatine roses

bellarosa
9 years ago

Just curious what roses folks are purchasing from Palatine Roses. The pictures on their website are stunning - as they should be! I haven't decided yet on my order. I'd like a hardy deep yellow climber. Any suggestions?

Comments (11)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Looks to me like you have two excellent choices at Palatine for a good and hardy deep yellow climber.

Roberta Bondar--deep yellow with large blooms, good height for a climber --about 10-12 ft, and it is supposedly disease-resistant (which I take to be BS resistant).

Kordes Golden Gate--might be in some ways an even better climber, but it is only medium yellow, with older blooms becoming more creamlike, and the blooms medium to large-sized. It has won all sorts of awards and is supposedly even more disease-resistant/bs-resistant than the previous climber. It is a couple feet taller than the previous climber, but that is still a good height for a climber.

Myself, I always go for the one listed as most disease-resistant (Golden Gate, in this case), but if color (deep yellow) is your main criteria, then Roberta probably is the better choice--and it is supposed to be pretty good on disease-resistance.

They have a couple other lighter yellow climbers too, but I didn't think the color was what you were looking for.

Kate

• buford
    9 years ago

I bought a bunch of HTs. Some are replacement for roses I had or have that aren't doing well. I want to try some roses on other root stocks.

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Golden Showers is a long time favorite and very hardy.

• lorrihz
    9 years ago

I went to the Palatine Rose site and saw something lovely....the Ascot rose. Has anyone grown this rose? I am interested in knowing if it has a significant fragrance. Also, the same for Martine Guillot. How would you rate them?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

On the Index page, go down to the Search Box and type in Ascot. You should get several good responses, including some gorgeous pictures. Several gardeners have been showing off and discussing their Ascots for the past few years.

Ascot is beautiful, but (if I remember correctly) taller than I would need in my garden.

Do you know helpmefind.com ? You can search for more information about just about every rose in the commercial market currently.

Kate

• lorrihz
    9 years ago

Also, on this note, I live in Las Vegas and the vast majority of the roses in my new garden are on their own roots. I did purchase several from a Canadian grower that were grafted on Multiflora. I put those is really, really deep, hoping they would row some of their own roots, since it is a little hot here for Multiflora. I have not dug down to see if it is working, but the roses are growing strongly. Moses grafted on Dr Huey here almost always have persistent suckers.

The Prom Queen (found) rose I got on amazon for a Christmas gift is a monster. It was a little stick this spring, and now it has 5 foot canes and a 1.5 inch-thick trunk. It blooms almost continually, though I wish it had a little more scent.

• Karolina11
    9 years ago

I have Roberta Bondar and the color is wonderful - a deep yellow unlike a lot of the light yellows. Mine is also from Palatine and boy is it vigorous, easily 12ft right now and it was planted in late winter. It does tend to shoot straight up quickly before I was able to get some of the larger canes tied to the side of the trellis but it is now shooting out to the side so I expect it to look wonderful next year.

I also have Ascot. The blooms are wonderful and a great color. Unfortunately it seemed to be the japanese beatles' favorite and has yet to have a large fall show.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Lorrihz, I have two Ascot roses from Palatine, that will be starting their fourth season this spring. I like them very much. Their blooms are lovely, and the roses are almost always in bloom. They are very large (pretty close to eight feet tall), and in your warm climate, I assume they would grow just as large as mine or larger. Here's a photo of Ascot. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Not a very good photo, but the closest I can come to showing more of Ascot. Diane

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I always wanted Roberta Bondar since I have read good reviews of it.

Diane/Nanadoll, what do you feed your roses. All of your roses are picture perfect. Do you have any "regular" roses in your garden at all?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Haha--we don't take pics of "regular roses" around here, and if a mistake is made and we do, those pics go in a buried vault, never to see the light of day. I'll dig up one to show you.
    I use all kinds of fertilizer. My favorite are the "Tones"--Rose Tone, Plant Tone, etc, whatever I can get my hands on in a 36 pound bag and for the cheapest price. I use manure and compost in combination, too, and cheap granular fertilizer (just once a year on that type). Thinking of eliminating it. Let's see if I can find a "regular" rose pic. Diane