Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

You thought you were being clever, but you should've known better

zaphod42
10 years ago

AKA I could kick myself

I had one yesterday in the garden. I planted Tuscany Superb a couple years ago...own root. I did my research. I knew she'd sucker. I thought, "Gee, it might be cool if she fills up that area." Should not have said that out loud. Holy cow. Not quite what to do about it now. :P

Anyone else have moments where you should have known better but went ahead anyway?

Comments (35)

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Morning Glories

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Got married.

• nastarana
    10 years ago

I once bought an innocent looking, half dead Halls' Honeysuckle for $.99 at Target. It looked so pathetic, and only $.99, and I am prone to buying just about anything if it has a nice fragrance. You can guess the rest. Two years later, the pathetic invalid was outcompeting Bermuda grass for ownership of my yard.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

OMG, planting anything other than roses! Some of the underplantings are becoming more invasive than the weeds. Do not ever plant centranthus rubra!!

Nastarana I didn't know there could be anything worse than Bermuda grass! That's another one.... Should've gotten the first peices of it yanked out before it got out of hand!!

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Morning Glories.

Jeri

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Uh, oh. I just planted centranthus rubra this year. Sigh...

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I had to look up centranthus rubra....We have it in pink and white. I thought I had gotten all of it pulled up and then discovered Mom had a few "hidden" that had gone to seed. I will be busy next year too.

Same with the morning glories, a lady she used to work for would complain about how hard it was to get them to grow. So when we spread some wildflower seed (that I checked to make sure did not have them on the seed list or in the package) imagine my surprise what came up. I would pull them as fast as I would see them sprout. Mom noted one day that maybe the reason her former employer had such a hard time is her gardener also pulled them as fast as they came up. Mom had no idea how invasive they could be and was nurturing them.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Morning glories

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

Evening primrose

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Lily of the Valley...enough said...

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

Salvia 'Black & Blue'

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I think the zone and other climate features will shape the experiences a gardener has with the above mentioned plants, all of which I grow, or have grown, except honeysuckle. Zapho your Jupiter's Beard shouldn't be that much of a problem in zone 5. Just be sure to weed out any seedlings you don't want in the fall. I grow the pink and red forms and have grown the white which becomes larger and is a little more aggressive than pink or red. In zones 7 or colder, I'd wager many of these plants are radically different in behavior than in California. Evening primrose can be a problem, but if you don't want it, just be relentless in pulling it up wherever it appears. I don't find morning glory a problem, and I've grown several kinds for over 25 years. But I wouldn't touch it if I lived in California. My Lily of the Valley lives in a large bed of violets, and I let the two enemies duke it out, and this has been going on for years. When the lily of the valley get too rambunctious, I yank some of it out. But there are two things I regret planting: Yellow trumpet vine, which I pruned relentlessly and kept in check for eight years. The problem was when I decided to get rid of it, and the plant was decapitated and dug out (we thought), it of course, began suckering all over the place off its huge roots. I'm still battling that one. It must be related to a certain doctor. The other "problem" plant lost the battle years ago, and that was bishop's weed (they don't call it a weed for nothing). Again, being relentless in pulling, digging, whatever...blasting..it out, did the trick. My motto in dealing with thugs is --be relentless!. Diane

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Planted morning glories 15 years ago and they still come up... :-0

My neighbor said to me just 3-4 weeks whats that vine growing up the house? Holy cow a morning glory grew out of the crack in the cement in the semi shade and was climbing and blooming...lol

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

althea zebrina....cute "miniature like hollyhock" flowering plant, sets seeds in a pod that pops open to spit them 2-3' away from the mother plant. Took about 5 years to get rid of one years planting.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

The purple blooming oxalis. Inadvertently brought it home from my mother's in a potted plant. It's been war ever since. This stuff spreads everywhere and will crowd out desirable plantings and invade your lawn. Spreads by bulblets and seed. I hate to count the hours I've wasted trying to eradicate this stuff. RU doesn't work either. It just comes back from the bulb.

• User
    10 years ago

aarrgh - wiro - the hateful mallow!

Erigeron karvinskianus, iochroma grandiflora.....and truly, the nightmare of centranthus goes on for me, too.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Yes but aren't you getting a fresh start in the woods now Campanula? And now that you have already made all your mistakes you can just go on to have a perfect situation......Ha

I do want to hear about how your fall planting is going

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I thought I could control the size of 'Madame Alfred Carriere'.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I thought all old roses were tough and carefree.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Kids

• buford
    10 years ago

Morning Glories...

They behave well in the northeast. But not here in Georgia. I must pull out hundreds of seedlings every year.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

At least a dozen plants.
    Zebra finches.
    Guppies.
    Starting with my mother's typewriter when I was 7, all the things I've taken part and can't put back together.
    Shopping lists that never leave leave the kitchen table.

• aqrose
    10 years ago

English Ivy to use as a ground cover in a part of the yard under a dogwood where nothing would grow. Yeah...really wish I could undo that one.
    Non-flowering jasmine which I didn't realize was non-flowering until much later & is almost as impossible to kill as the ivy. :/

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Zaphod, yank that centranthus rubra out right now!!

LOL Susan! Yours is the best answer!! I love it! KIDS! (I won't even go there with that one)

Mauvegirl, I have several salvia "Black & Blue" and I love it, and it does get really huge and crowds the roses. But the hummies love it! "Hot Lips" is actually worse. I've dug it out three times and it comes right back. The bumblebees love that one too.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

I was stumped on "Black and Blue" too. I love it. I inadvertently discovered that it can be "pegged" to be smaller and not so tall. Also it's easy to cut off excess stems. I LOVE the shade of that.
    Susan

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I have both Hot Lips and Black and Blue, my hot lips is really good about staying put. On the other hand, Black and Blue wants to travel the yard. But I hit it with the weed whacker when it get to the lawn and it gives up pretty easy

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Hot Lips?

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips'

A white and pink/red wide lipped sage

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    10 years ago

Got to be zone related. I can't grow centranthus ruber, morning glories are wonderful when they come back, which isn't often, and I have to pay $5 a year to buy a new salvia "black and blue" if I want it. I will say that one mistake I made was bamboo. Fortunately it was at my parents' house, not mine.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I've never had either of those salvias travel. They just get monstrous and overshadow everything around them. The centranthus on the other hand spreads like wildfire by seed and roots. You can't get the dang things out by the roots very well, either. They break off, leaving sections and those pop out new growth within days. Self-perpetuation at its best. Morning glories fortunately don't do that well here. I've never grown them, but I understand they are more of an annual here.

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

Not many survive our blast furnace summers but star jasmine is a pain. It has climbed a lemon tree, killed off several branches of the tree and continues to try to kill it. I have to do something now that morning and evenings are habitable around here.

Other than that, bermuda grass is my enemy, big time.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Variegated vinca (so cute in the little pots, oh look don't they look nice in the beds), morning glory (volunteer), and the volunteer arugula (love it, but not for breakfast, lunch, and dinner).

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

Buying roses to put in a spot that is supposed to be clear, it has great morning sun, but it's taking to long...and it's your MIL who is in the way!!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Wild morning glories, the small pink ones, passion vine, ruellia [horrible!], honeysuckle [tho it smells divine - always say I will yank it out after it blooms.....]

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

I second Alameda on ruellia; hate the stuff and it grows everywhere. It is easy to pull up, however (unlike bermuda).