Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamarra_gw

All my rose bushes slowly dying

Tamarra
9 years ago

All my rose bushes are suffering from browning leaves. They brown on the edges and then curl in. The stems then dry out and die. This is happening on new growth as well as established. Some came to this later than sooner, but now they all have it and I think maybe I might lose them all.

I'm 45 miles West of Ft. Worth TX, whatever zone that is.

I've used a product made by a well known manufacturer (starts with "B") that is a concentrate you mix up with water and then water plant with it. It's a rose and flower care product that has 3 systemic products in 1.

Attached are 2 photos.

Please help. I've had some of these bushes for as long as 10 years. Thank you.

Comments (6)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Rose photos are not showing. Please try to post them again.

I guessing here.
    Sounds like you are using one of the Bayer combo products. Many of us here do NOT recommend those 3-in-one products--often they give the rose much more than it needs. Certainly, if you were not having problems with fungus or with insects, your roses did not need an insecticide or a fungicide. And some posters have noted that the "feed" part--the fertilizer--might be too strong.

I'm guessing your roses are suffering from too much nitrogen--nitrogen-burn. All you can do now is give them a good deep watering to try to wash away some of the effects of the nitrogen and then wait patiently for the rose to put out some new leaves.

The other possibility that occurs to me is you have a severe spider mite problem. They are so small that you may not see them, but often there will be some telltale webs around parts of the roses. In that case, the cure is relatively easy. Use a stiff spray of water from your hose and give those roses a thorough shower, in particular spraying up underneath the leaves. Repeat this process one or more times every few days. After a week or so of such treatment, the spider mites should be gone (They hate water.).

Good luck.

Kate

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Clip samples and take them to an independent garden center, USDA Cooperative Extension Service branch office or other source of guidance where the damage can be viewed in person.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Has it been extremely hot there? If so it could be from the heat. How often/much are you watering? Roses in high heat need extra water. Stop using any products on them and give them lots of water and let them recuperate. If it's still very hot try to rig some kind of shade over them during the hottest part of the day.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Good advice above. If the browning and curling progresses gradually up from the oldest to newer foliage, it is spider mites. Look on the underside with a magnifier. It would look dirty and webby.

If you have used other fertilizer in addition to the combo drench, it is probably fertilizer burn. Burning often involves a combination of fertilizer, insufficient water, and hot sun. Leaf surfaces exposed to full sunlight burn first, not the shaded lower leaves. Foliar sprays can contribute, but you aren't doing that.

The insecticide in the combo drench product does more harm than good and can encourage spider mites. In central TX, you probably don't need the fungicide during hot, dry weather. And the fertilizer is a cheap chemical fertilizer that is incorrectly balanced for roses.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Water, water, water (both into the soil and spray as above). I would stop using ANY "product" - that very well could be the problem.

Jackie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

If it is very hot, you could rig up some temporary shade. That will reduce stress for the plants.