Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooks23_gw

Is this RRD?

Brooks23
10 years ago

Hi, I found this new growth on my Clothide Soupert near the bottom of the plant. Is this a witches broom? Is this RDD? I thought the mites were dead this time of the year and that maybe it would not spread any more this season.
Thanks for you help, Brooks23

Comments (9)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Although I am not familiar with new growth on CS, I think it is very probably RRD. I would say, remove the underlying cane immediately because RRD low on the plant will go systemic more quickly. Also there is contact with other foliage so the mites may be crawling over. Actually I recommend cutting the whole plant to the ground for that reason and watching the regrowth daily.

But let's hear others' opinions.

Certainly, the RRD mites are still active.

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

I think it's RRD.

This is the time of the year that mite populations surge according to mite counts done in Iowa and southernmost Indiana, not far from Frankfort KY.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Oh, that ugly, ugly stuff--I hate it! That is RRD, as far as I'm concerned also. Good advice above--though I might not be that optimistic and would destroy the bush, roots and all, rather than take the chance that it would spread to other roses. My experience is that if it hits your garden once, it will hit twice--at least!

So disappointing, I know. Really upsets me sometimes.

Kate

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

I am disappointed that no one has asked about possible herbicide exposure.

Of course cut the cane off, but if you or your neighbors applied a fall weed and feed application you may have found only the first signs of a so called RRD "epidemic"!

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dublinbay, It really upsets me also. This is an old bush from a friend. I hate to loose it. :-(

anntn6b Thanks for the information. For some reason I thought the mites died after the end of July. Bummer.

michaelg Thanks for the help. It is raining but tomorrow I am going to get my pruning sheers out. So sad :-(

I am glad this group is here to help.

Brooks23

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

henry_kuska Far as I know there has not been any herbicide in my yard or my neighbors. ( My neighbors barely mow)

Brooks23

• michaelg
    10 years ago

RRD begins on one shoot if you have been monitoring regularly--herbicide damage usually more widespread.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

michaelg , Yes this is just on one branch.I have been checking my roses every day but almost missed this because it was at the bottom of the rose bush. The rest of the plant looks good. :-(
    Brooks23

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

Herbicide damage can come from the soil. It does not have to come from spraying.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH