Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentucky_rose

Love Song vs Poseidon

Does anyone have experience with Love Song and Poseidon? I got Love Song this year and like it. The blooms look similar on both and Poseidon is suppose to be a lot healthier. Do I need both? Thanks in advance.

Comments (19)

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Poseidon is very healthy, a very upright plant in my experience, with very glossy green leaves. Sadly no fragrance, but repeat bloom is good. It is a favorite here, and known as Novalis, after the poet.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

I only have Love Song, two of them in their second year, so far I am pleased. I wouldn't say mine are overly vigorous, and I did come close to losing one of them over the winter, but it seems to be rebounding nicely. I am considering Poseidon, because I do want a few more lavenders and I've read such good things about it. Even if they are similar I wouldn't mind having both, then I would know which one is better.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 20:18

• lesmc
    9 years ago

I grow both, and love them both. Almost lost my Love Song in our bad winter..I do not winter protect. But it rebounded well and gives me beautiful, full blooms. My Poseidon is a lovely upright rose. Very healthy. For some reason the blooms are very small.??? Plentiful, but small. It is two years old and may need more time. I really love my Love Song and hope to add a second one next spring.Don`t know if this helpsâ¦I am happy with both. Lesley

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

I don't have both.

One of them has a far better name than the other, IMHO.

The most interesting thing that I've read about them this year is in the thread linked below where one of them was reportedly "pretty much sold out" before the season began (Feb).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluish purple rose?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Seil - That bloom is gorgeous!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

I think you need both if you have room. To me they are not similar at all. My Poseidon is frilly and vintage looking. Mine lots of times has a few brown spots on the edges but I think that adds to the vintage look. Mine has been vigorous but the blooms are smaller and fewer this flush. I love it!! I'm on my second Love Song and it's doing much better than my first one before it died. It's a gorgeous rose. My LS is half the size of my Poseidon but it's new this yr. Go for it and get both. Will post pics if I can find them. Take care, Judy

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

I couldn't find my pretty pics from spring but here's a couple other shots. First the bush shot.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

And a close up! Ugh I wish I coulda found the other pics bc it's gorgeous.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seil, that's a beautiful picture of Love Song. Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll try to order Poseidon from Palatine for 2015, then I'll have them both.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Hi KY rose. I grow both. The only similarity really is the color. Love Song has ruffled petals and Poseidon's are more imbricated. Poseidon is supposed to be a floribunda but it is 8ft tall here. Never a spot of any diseaseâ¦.NONE!It is the healthiest rose I have. Love Song has lots of black spot. But very pretty.
    They are both nice. Poseidon much healthier.
    I've attached a photo from Poseidon's spring flush. Sorry it's upside down!
    Susan

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Judy, that's a lot of pretty blooms! Susan, yours looked a little deeper colored. Interesting that there's not negative comments about either one. This just reinforces that I need Poseidon, too.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Wow Susan's is a diff shade than mine. Mines really pale looking. Lol. Even in the spring. Hmmmm I wonder why mine is so pale. I really gotta find my spring pics to see if they're a lil more purple!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Ladies, that photo is from last summer. Seems Poseidon was in a pot and got more sun than it does this yearâ¦.because this year's blooms are paler!
    How much sun are you all's plants getting?
    Susan

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

I looked at mine yesterday and they were more purple I'm assuming due to the cloudy day. Susan mine gets a good 8 hours of sun. I love it. Yes Kentucky rose you need both!! More is always better. Lol

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Uh.....these are gorgeous. I want both of them!

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

I'm not at all surprised to read these "healthy" reports about Poseidon.

Poseidon won an ADR Award - even though HelpMeFind doesn't currently (yesterday) list any awards for Poseidon.

And that's what the 21st century ADR Awards seem to consistently mean - healthy.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Love Song has her moments.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So pretty!