Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
self seeding -- good roses or bad?

Posted by roxanna z5b MA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 10:55

My Darlow's Enigma seems to have seeded a few nice babies. These are located right under the DE. What are the chances that the babies ARE from the Darlow's Enigma and not just a random wild multiflora rose?? I find it impossibly difficult to distinguish one from the other. I'd like to transplant them IF they are DEs....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: self seeding -- good roses or bad?

At this point in their life, it is still hard to distinguish what kind of rose these babies are. If you are interested in trying to see what they are, I would leave them where they are this winter with some winter protection, and then next spring pot them up & hold them in a pot for a year or 2, evaluating them. DE is a "found rose" so there is no info as to its parents but it is classified in some sources as a Hyb. Musk so the babies may not resemble DE if they are the result of self-pollination & remember these babies may have had pollen carried in from another nearby rose so they may only be 1/2 DE.

o

We used to sell DE open pollenated seedlings as a fund raiser at our local rose club. They were all different but similar. Everyone seemed to love the one that they purchased.

"Posted by Henry Kuska [email] on Thu, Jun 16, 2005
My open pollinated seedlings are in general as good or better than the original. I donated many small D.E. seedlings to our local rose society for their annual spring plant sale; and they were a very popular item with lots of positive feedback."

o

Good luck to you. Probably not DE but maybe close enough to make you happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here