Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Lady Emma Hamilton

carla17
15 years ago

I realize this is not the proper forum but this rose has been discussed recently and I wanted to give others a chance to see it. I have not sprayed so the leaves look bad.

{{gwi:325150}}

{{gwi:325151}}

Carla

Comments (20)

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Lovely Carla.

Kate

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

I am happy that someone's plant is doing something, and I am glad that yours is hanging in there Carla!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    15 years ago

Yours is looking similar in color to mine. It's a shame that the fragrance can't be conveyed through a picture because this rose smells nice.

• kr222
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!

• mauirose
    15 years ago

I like this rose a lot but she has black spotted very badly for me the past few weeks.

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maui, yes, as I said, if not sprayed it would be a disaster.
    Thank you Kate.

Carla

• Molineux
    15 years ago

How strong is the neck of the stem and what is the vase life like? PAT AUSTIN is similar in color but her blooms nod downward and shatter upon opening. An orange English Rose without these two faults would be most welcome.

Patrick

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Has anyone has the chance to see the new Austin rose, Summer Song? I Just ordered it from Palatine, but am wondering how it differs from Pat Austin or Lady Emma Hamilton. My PA covers the whole fence, and LEH(new this season) is still only about 18" tall but very full and starting to bloom.

Summer Song is to go into a bed of apricot, cream and coffee roses so hope it is not another giant one, much as I like my fence full of English roses (Teasing Georgia, Pat Austin and Windrush cover about 30' of fence between them).

• mauirose
    15 years ago

Carla you have forced me into a confession. I like this rose so much i sprayed her-twice-with Bayer Advanced Disease Control. She's still naked ; )

Patrick-she nods just enough to be charming and goes 3 maybe 4 days in a vase.

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lizalily, I have seen pictures of SS but haven't seen it in person. The pictures were beautiful.
    Maui, thanks for answering the nodding question. As roses perform differently in the ground, I can't say very much about LEH yet. I do like the colors.

Carla

• barthelemy
    15 years ago

Hello ...

I have LEH, Pat Austin and Summer Song ... They're grown in pots, as I garden on a rooftop patio ... I am not a rose expert, as I've started growing rose last winter when I potted 12 austin roses.

LEH is healthy for me (but I can say that about any Austin I have, and I do not spray for blackspot, so it might be my climate ... slugs enjoyed her foliage though ). The flowers are pretty (my LEH shows some pink overtones), the dark shades of the young shoots are nice and the growth is bushy ...

However I find she does not bloom that much (only one flush since the begining of the season, but this flush was gorgeous) and she is not really fragrant ... Her blooms are smaller than Pat Austin's and they do not nod as much.

@Lizalily : I have Summer Song too ... I've been very disappointed by this rose.
    In my opinion the colour is a gaudy orangey red (mine has no blooms at the moment, but it has buds, I might be able take a picture next week if you want), blooms really look messy as they age, and the bush looks leggy and is very upright. Still, it's my first growing season with it ... Pat Austin is far more elegant and pretty IMO.

Barthelemy

Note : I should add that my LEH might have suffered from drought this summer as my irrigation system failed as I was on holidays ...

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Yes, I would love to see a pic of Summer Song but I would not worry too much about first year flowers. If it has the deep tones that Pat is showing now in the cool fall weather but lasts longer on the bush and in the vase or even if it will hold its head up better I know I will like it.

• irish_rose_grower
    15 years ago

HI Carla -- what a beautiful rose. How is everything going??

Maureen

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How did my picture get removed?
    Oh well.
    Hi Maureen, I'm doing okay. Nice to hear from you. I need to send you mail.

Carla

• moodyblue
    15 years ago

Carla, when you delete the picture from your files, then it will automatically delete from Photobucket. Could this be the problem. Oh my, now I am thinking I could be wrong, maybe if you delete it from Photobucket is the answer. I am pretty sure it is one or both of the two anyway.
    P

• jumbojimmy
    15 years ago

I missed out. I hope you could post those pics here again, please :) I said the magic word. I agree with moodyblue. If you delete or move a photo from photobucket it will also affect here too.

I wonder why there's not many pics of Summer Song posted here on this board.

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pauline, I have absolutely NO idea what happened to the other pic. I only have one more but here it is. :-) Jumbo, I might try to get it in the ground before the freeze hits.
    {{gwi:325152}}
    Carla

• kr222
    15 years ago

I found good blog about Lady Emma Hamilton that I thought some of you might be interested in. I'll try to attach the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Emma Hamilton progress

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

This is helpful..I was considering Summer song. I think I will go with Pat Austin

• jeffcat
    14 years ago

You will love Pat Austin. Fragrance isn't quite as strong as LEH IMO, but still a nice scent, and my PA is due to open it's blooms tomorrow. Mine is thriving and I like the look of the red canes and glossy foilage.