Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwoman_gw

roses for obelisk

birdwoman
10 years ago

I live on Long Island and have 3 metal round obelisks. They measure 11 inches in diameter and are 6 feet tall. I am considering the following roses:
Laguna, Florentina, Lavender Lassie, Red consair, Rosarium Uetersen, Gold Bunny and Stomy Weather climbers. I only need to chose 3 but, I am not sure which one of these would be suitable for my purpose. It is my understanding that the canes and laterals should be flexible in order to wrap/weave around the obelisk. I am asking you if you are experienced with the growth habit and flexabilty of any of the above mentioned roses to please respond.
I have read that the roses can be placed inside the center or positioned outside the the obelisk. At this point, I am leaning towards securing the roses inside. I welcome all responses and appreciate your time.
Margie

Comments (6)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Hi Margie,

Sorry to be discouraging, but those obelisks are too small for normal climbing roses. 'Laguna', for example, would be hard to contain on an 8 x 10 trellis. One rose that might work is 'Sweet Chariot', which is classed as a miniature. Flexible and very winter hardy, it makes clusters of mauve pompons. You could look at 'Renae', a climber that is not too vigorous, but still probably too big. A droopy shrub like 'Cornelia' could be used on a pillar, but it would get wide. You would let the lateral shoots cascade. I've seen 'Reine des Violettes' grown on a structure like yours.

Rosarium Uetersen--fairly flexible when canes are young, but very vigorous and thorny.

Lavender Lassie--too stiff and too big, very susceptible to blackspot disease.

Don't know the others.

Plant roses outside the structure and wrap canes outside.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I haven't grown any of those roses, so can't comment on them, but I second Michael's point about the pillar being a bit on the short side. Remember you have to sink the legs in about 1 ft to 1.5 ft., so that leaves at most 5 ft for the rose to climb on.

Why don't you check out the David Austin web site. He double lists a number of his roses--for example, 4 ft tall if grown as a shrub, but 6-8 ft tall it grown as a climber (and wrapped around the pillar). I think The Pilgrim falls into that category and it is supposed to be fairly good on the disease-resistance. Lovely pale yellow/white blend.

And yes--plant it outside the pillar. I didn't, and my pillar deteriorated unexpectedly--rusted and falling apart although the other one like it was fine. Boy, was that a job getting it out of the climber that was planted in the center under it. Now I always plant my climbers about 6-10 inches outside the pillar.

Good luck.

Kate

• birdwoman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much Michael. I would rather be disappoint now than have some kind of nightmare later. You saved me alot of time, energy and frustation. These roses were recommended for my situation by a rose company. However, when I started to look into it further, it seemed these roses would not be suitable. That's when I decided to write to the forum.After pouring over catalogs and websites the only ones I came up with were Zaide and Fairy Tale Cinderella. Your suggestion of Reine des Violettes needs serious consideration as well.
    With much appreciation - Margie

• ljsemar
    6 years ago

Cupids Kisses is supposed to stay pretty small, might be worth looking at

• User
    6 years ago

Florentina is flexible and does not get too big. Seems like a good choice. Stay away from Cinderrella. I had two, and both ball like there is no tomorrow. I grew both as standalone shrub, and I would not think they are particularly. Yes, no laguna. That thing is a beast. I have Zaide. It is a tall plant, but I did not know it can be grown as a climber.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Some short climbers are Jasmina, Honeymoon, Quicksilver, one you mentioned, Florentina and Bajazzo.

Rosarium Uetersen's stiff and thorny canes are determined to grow the way they want to. I try to keep mine trained to an arbor, but it's a fight.

Cinderella probably wouldn't get too tall, but I wouldn't want to mess with training those stiff canes. I have 3 and they have never balled, but this is a bone dry climate.

I hope you'll post photos when you're done.