Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

burlington rose nursery california

Hello. Has anyone done business with Burlington? Thanks.

susan

Comments (21)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Yes, in fact I have an order in with her now. I believe she started with Ralph Moore and her reputation seems to be excellent. I've heard only good things about her and Burling seems like a very nice lady. I've heard she can root anything short of a paper clip.

Ingrid

• roseseek
    11 years ago

She'll shoot me for saying so, Ingrid, but I firmly believe she can bud paperclips! LOL! Burling is an excellent plants person and a lovely person. She propagated and pollinated, as well as doing any and every other job at Sequoia from the mid seventies until they closed around 2007. She's even breeding her own roses. If you have the opportunity to visit San Simeon, Hearst Castle, here in California, all of the vintage tree roses and many of the other roses plantings are all her handiwork. She knows her stuff. I respect, admire and like her very much. I'm happy to have been friends with her for the past umpteen dozen years. I recommend her wholeheartedly. Kim

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Burling was Mr. Moore's budder, and MAN she is good at it! She's also one of the nicest people I know.

Yes, we have roses from Burling, and I'd be happy to have more. She carries some neat things, too.

I, too, recommend her unreservedly.

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I have always gotten excellent service and plants from Burlington's. They have a really great selection too!

• TNY78
    11 years ago

She's also fair on her shipping charges to the East Coast. Her bands are small, like most vendors bands size plants, but they REALLY take off if you transfer them into larger containers :)

Tammy

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome! She grows "the mouse" *wink* but I am going to try "stainless steel" first. I'm going to place an order soon.

• kstrong
    11 years ago

Yep, I agree. Have bought much over the years and have always had great service and fair charges.

And, be forewarned, if you are going to get "the mouse *wink*" she has the only well-grown specimen of that plant on the planet I think. The reason is because it is budded to other rootstock than that weakling of a rose can put out by itself.
    I think she has her own plant of that rose on Pink Clouds as a rootstock, for what it's worth.

She does do "custom budding" if you beg. So if you want that rose, or something else similarly weak on its own roots, the begging is well worth it.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

By custom budding do you mean she can bud onto Dr. Huey?....Maryl

• roseseek
    11 years ago

I know she CAN bud on Huey. She's done all of the San Simeon standards on Huey trunks. Whether she has any propagated or not of if it is in the right condition for budding when she receives your inquiry or not, I have no way of knowing. She uses her chip budding method on Pink Clouds extensively because it is much more universally successful year round than T budding on Huey. You should email her with your inquiry and request to find out of her work load, availability and time of year permit budding what you want on Huey. Remember, she is a one person operation with only her two hands doing it all, so it may take her a day or two to respond, but she always does. I can say she will want to satisfy the request as that is Burling. Whether it is possible right now or not, is another matter. Kim

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I highly recommeded Burlington, I got 14 healthy band-size roses from her this year. Shipping cost from CA to my Chicagoland was $25 for 14 roses, compare that to $20 for 3 gallons from Roses Unlimited in SC, and also 3 roses in gallons from Chambee's in Texas. Band-size roses are cheaper in shipping cost, but they catch up with gallon-size quickly if you grow their roots in good potting soil

Burling gives the fastest and prompt customer service. She's professional to the detail. I changed my order at least 6 times on her, and she's always pleasant and prompt to accomodate her customers. A well-run small business attends well to customer satisfaction.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Does she have a web site yet? Last time I checked she had to mail me a list of her roses. You hate to have a small business go to the expense of doing that if you are just kicking tires.......Maryl

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

No there's no web site that you can order from but her list on HMF is usually fairly current and she's always great about sending out a catalog quickly or answering questions either by email or phone. The times I've called her she's always been wonderful to talk with.

• sandandsun
    11 years ago

5 stars
    Burling is a very wonderfully nice person. The bands are small though. If that's an issue I believe she offers a larger size depending upon availability.
    The selection makes me drool uncontrollably. She clearly likes purple too!
    I did all my correspondence patiently by email. She emails the catalogs upon request as has been said. I'd never entertain the thought of actually calling her because I can't imagine she has time to answer the phone.
    My nature (not competitive) really worries about this secret getting out. I don't want to have to reserve a year in advance (but I'd do it). I got roses from her that I couldn't find any where else.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

I'd fed Sequoia old, rare, weird and unusual roses for many years. Just as the final days were winding down, it was fun walking through the stock indicating to her what I really hoped she would carry forward through Burlington. Fortunately, she did everything I asked, and more! She loves roses and loves being able to supply what no one else can. It's exciting! She's enthusiastic and really intuitive. The roses "talk" to her and she listens. What more can I say? It's a treat to visit her whenever possible and travel where she's speaking close to here when I am able. Kim

• jerijen
    11 years ago

I wish more of you could meet Burling. I was fortunate enough to meet her when Sequoia was still "alive," and we touch bases with her most times she gets down this way -- and sometimes when we're up her way.

Jeri

• kitty
    11 years ago

We met Burling at the National Rose Convention in Palm Springs several years ago. At her booth there she taught my husband how to bud roses and gave us two plants of Pink Clouds. All at no cost to us. A few months later she spoke at our local rose society meeting. A kind, generous, sharing lady, and an educator as well!

• Glenburn
    11 years ago

Burling is moving to Australia, I wish

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Yes, her roses are healthiest among the 4 nurseries I ordered. Which means no thrips, no virus, no mites, no disease. She's a detailed person and manages her nursery well. If a rose doesn't look right, she throws it away as a precaution.

Her price is the cheapest for band-size. She has a large selection of 160 mini-roses at $7.50 each, and 389 big roses at $10.95 to choose from. Compare that to the $20 rose infected with Rose Rosette Disease that I bought at local Home Depot last year.

California, where Burlington Nursery is, doesn't have Rose Rosette Disease, and there's strict agricultural laws governing shipping of roses: soil-less potting mix so insects can't be transmitted.

• reemcook
    11 years ago

Wow! $7.50-$10.95 is an awesome price. I'll check out the roses Burlington has for sale. Thanks!

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

Strawberry, that's great to know she has roses without virus. Which virus/viruses? Do you mean rose mosaic virus? If so, can you tell us which ones you bought from her that you know have been virus indexed by UC Davis or gone through the heat treatment program at Florida Southern College (or any other similar program)? It is always good to find out more nurseries stock RMV free roses and which of their roses these are.

Melissa

• nastarana
    11 years ago

She is the only US supplier of Pussta/New Daily Mail, one of the most satisfactory roses in my yard.