Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do ants sever new canes?

Posted by andreark 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:23

I have many ants on my roses. And some of the new canes have been severed. Do ants do this?

andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do ants sever new canes?

• Posted by curdle 9b, Australia (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:55

I'm not sure about severing rose canes, but generally, ants are not good news if you are a pot gardener. I think I remember you had some roses in pots?

I haven't had any rose fatalities I can put down to them (so far), but the evil things got most of my potted tomatoes last year; once they get in, nasty things tend to happen.
If they are on your plants, its often because they're attracted to something, like the sweet stuff aphids put out,(bad enough) or they have taken up residence there, cos it was a nice stopover motel en route to a main colony, and once they start digging tunnels and making nests, the roots get disturbed and your plant starts being very unhappy.
So everything is going up on bricks this year!

Sorry, I know that didn't really help with your main question..but the warmer weather invasion is starting here :(

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 18:46

Ants usually do not sever rose canes...

Ants are on ALL your roses? Or just some?
Do you have Aphids on your roses?

Ants are attracted to rose bushes because of another pest that has already taken up residence in the garden, the aphid. Ants love to feed on the sticky, honeydew residue left on the plants by aphids. Ants protect aphids from predators and store aphid eggs in their nests over the winter.

Other than that I have no idea why ants are on your roses....

This post was edited by jim1961 on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 19:14

o

Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 18:49

Can you post clear pics of your severed rose canes andreark...???

o

Sometimes, ants nest in pots.

Drown 'em.
and/or, push sticks of cinnamon bark into the soil. It repels ants.

Jeri

o

Thanks for your answers. I get the picture. Jim the cane has now been pruned. Thanks curdle. And Jeri, I will try the cinnamon sticks.

Thanks again,

andrea

o

Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 22:20

I guess the roses we were talking about were in pots?...

I had tons of ants under a couple of rose bushes (in the ground) this year but I was afraid to hurt earthworms by applying anything so I just left them go... They didn't hurt anything...

Wonder if cinnamon sticks would work for in the ground roses too?
I never thought of that...lol

o

Jim. Can't hurt. They REPEL ants -- so, nothing toxic going on there

Jeri

o

Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 22:39

I'll give that a try next year... Thanks Jeri...

o

Terrible ant year in my zone! Will try the cinnamon sticks next spring. Do they attract any other creatures?

o

Susan, no. In my garden, cinnamon sticks don't attract anything. Nor, in my experience, have they done any harm.

Jeri

o

Good, thanks. Will try it next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here