Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikerizzle9

Rose for Extreme Heat

mikerizzle9
11 years ago

I have 4 roses along my home's front walkway I'd like to replace. They will get shade after 4pm or so. I recently planted 4 of Belinda's Dream out back which simply outperformed my other dozen or so varieties which are supposed to do well in the heat. I'm talking weeks straight of 115+.

I'd like something that can compare in foilage quality, bloom type, scent, etc... But not pink. I really like the large HT type blooms on a shrubby bush, and they seem to not suffer in petal count and size in the 110+ days and 90+ night.

Here's what I have and would not fit the bill so should be excluded for suggestions: Gemini, Moonstone, Double Delight, Iceberg, Celia Bruner, Molineux, Veteran's Honor, St Patrick, Knockouts.

Basically, I want Belinda's Dream, but with a different color.

Comments (17)

• ptboise
    11 years ago

We've got high desert blazing sun for months on end - although the 115+ is quite a challenge, I would think. That said, what holds up best for me - with the classic rose form like Belinda's Dream - is Crimson Bouquet. Thick leaves, always in bloom, and a stunning red. No fragrance, however. Livin' Easy also seems to really hold up in the dry heat.

• prairielaura
    11 years ago

As a fugitive from that sort of climate, I can recommend Rouge Royale...if you can find one. Slow to establish, then makes a big shrubby bush with deep red wonderful-smelling blooms. BUT you have to cut the blooms before noon or they fry. My favorite rose ever, along with Chrysler Imperial.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

My PJPII survived the few 100+ days we had just fine. I also love Chrysler Imperial but in warm temps it shifts to a dark pink and then back to red around Thanksgiving. Memorial Day looked good in the heat but is a tall rose.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

'St. Patrick' was bred in inland desert CA and does best with that level of heat--maybe not quite as hot as Mesa but close. Try to get a really healthy plant, though. A poor specimen of SP (in my experience) never improves.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I grow Rouge Royale and really can't recommend it for high heat. The flowers, which don't last long on the bush anyway (but do very well when cut), turn almost instantly into crispy critters when the temperature goes over 95. Chrysler Imperial for me hasn't done well either when temps go over 95. Last year Oklahoma had the highest summer temperatures consistantly of any state in the union. They weren't much better this year, although temps over 112 weren't as numerous. The only rose that does even remotely well in my area is a little known hybrid tea by Harkness called Lady Mitchell. It was available own root at Heirloom. It is large flowered, short and fairly bushy, with better then average disease resistance, but little fragrance. Below is a poorly shot picture of it showing it's basic rounded bush shape and the size of it's blooms.....Maryl
    {{gwi:224880}}

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

I'm in Tempe and I just don't expect much from my roses during the summer. However, starting in October or so, they will bloom most of the winter and through April or May.

I would suggest some tea roses (not hybrid teas) such as Rosette Delizy, Maman Cochet, Mme Joseph Schwartz, Catherine Mermet. There are many to choose from and we are lucky we live in a climate where they can be grown. They are beautiful.

• kstrong
    11 years ago

It's a single, so not exactly what you requested, but far and away the best rose for "extreme heat" that I know of is "The Imposter." Thumbs nose at 100 plus and keeps right on bloomin.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Are we talking about roses that continue to make flowers in heat or blossoms that don't look fried. My Rouge Royale and Chrysler Imp. made flowers but the flowers took a beating if I didn't cut them and bring them in.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention the spray rose Radox Bouquet which had clusters of blossoms in the august heatwave that did not fry. It was the only rose decent enough to cut for bouquets then. This rose has a sweet strong perfume and grows very tall and narrow for me.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Kstrong - do you have any other photos of The Imposter. It looks amazing!

My heat only goes into low 100's, so don't know about 115. In low 100's, Just Joey and Honey Dijon keep performing beautifully.

• Jeannie Cochell
    11 years ago

A parent of Belinda's Dream is Tiffany, while pink it does have salmon and yellow tones. Easy to find locally, same general characteristics.

Secret and New Zealand do fairly well in heat. You didn't mention Marilyn Monroe, an outstanding, although rather short hybrid tea. With St Patrick and Sunset Celebration as parents, it was bred to endure HOT. Color ranges from greenish-yellow-apricot in cool temps to pink-yellow-apricot in warm weather. A rose that I really enjoy is Rio Samba, a yellow-orange-pink-red work engine with a decent fragrance. Again, a shorter hybrid tea. Best one for my garden is Opening Night, a red hybrid tea that could easily pass for a grandiflora.

You already have some of the best hybrid teas for this climate. If you want to investigate some other great roses, try Frances Dubreuil, a Old-Garden Tea with heavy-duty frangrance, form and color. Several China roses, like the Green Rose and Archduke Charles are both widely grown, as are hybrid perpetuals, like Baronne Prevost and Marchesa Boccella. These would have to be special ordered or grown from a cutting, but their hardiness is outstanding.

• windeaux
    11 years ago

HTs and Floribundas by British hybridizers tend to be poor performers in my very hot conditions. A noteworthy exception to that generalization is the HT 'Marijke Koopman'. In my garden it performs more like a shrub rose, often covered in bloom from the base up. With its fairly rapid repeat, it's one of my best all-season-long performers. Heat in my area is always accompanied with high humidity; I don't know if the dry heat of the Southwest would produce similar results.

MK has a fairly impressive record as a show rose, but the blooms it produces for me have never approached that quality. I assume that those high-centered winners have been produced under cooler, more consistently temperate conditions than mine.

(FWIW, Marijke is pronounced ma-RYE-kuh)

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

Technically, my summer temps don't reach 115 degrees often, but my rose garden is located in a heat pit that traps the heat between the slope at the back of my property and the house. It's easy to tell that it is hotter in the rose garden than at the top of the slope. It's cooler up there ... lol.

My summer temps officially range from the high 90s to around 110 degrees for months, BUT (and this is important) my night temps cool off down to the low 70s, which gives the rose the opportunity to pull moisture up to the top of the plant.

Reviewing the roses in the garden, I have found that the roses with thick petal substance and dense foliage do best in high temps. I also prune differently than I was taught when I started my rose life. I don't take off all of the twiggy growth as long as it can create foliage. In my experience the extra foliage helps the plant to be more heat tolerant.

I also am home a lot and spray down the roses daily during the period of high heat. The plants can absorb moisture through their leaves. This practice also controls spider mites.

Few rose books or websites even mention petal substance, but if you read the patents on HMF, you can often find information about the thickness of the foliage of the bloom.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• kstrong
    11 years ago

The Imposter got selected for commercial introduction BECAUSE it was abloomin away in the middle of summer in heat-baked fields in Wasco, California (just outside of Bakersfield). The reason for that name is because the blooms supposedly look like a clematis (I don't agree with that one, lol). I don't have any full bush shots at the moment, but it only gets about 2 and a half feet tall, and equally wide, so it's a good landscape plant. Here's what the clusters look like -- not particularly symmetrical, but there's always something in bloom, it seems, on the plant. Another good one to use in that climate would be Thrive.

• jenn
    11 years ago

I know you said "not pink", but for others looking for a rose that does well in scorching heat I thought I want to recommend Miss All American Beauty. Several years ago I visited the Rose garden at Descanso Gardens (a public garden here in southern CA) in the middle of a hot summer in August, just to see which roses stood up to the heat. MAAB was heads above the rest. The bush looked healthy and it was covered with hot pink blooms.

• amandahugg
    11 years ago

Time for a road trip. Pack up your water and head for the rose garden at Mesa Community College. It's right in your backyard and should give you the best reference for which varieties take your unusual heat.