Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leena1947

Sutter's Gold

leena1947
16 years ago

I recently saw Sutter's Gold climber in Victoria, BC, Canada; you won't believe the fragrance!

I understand it is sold as Strike It Rich in today's market. I would love to have one in my Pacific NW garden. Does anyone have any info about it?

Thanks.

Comments (14)

• mbundick
    16 years ago

Strike It Rich is touted as the "modern" Sutters Gold but they are two different roses. Vintage Gardens is the only source I know for the climbing version of Sutter's Gold at present

• elgrillo
    16 years ago

Glad someone brought up Sutter's Gold. Leena1947, I bet the fragrance is incredible. Another child of Charlotte Armstrong. I would like to find one in Ht.

Can anyone comment on performance and health?

Gary

• suesette
    16 years ago

Sutter's Gold is freely available in Australia. Can you import roses from overseas? We certainly can't.
    I find it a bit frustrating to grow. I get a flush of beautiful blooms in early spring, very little repeat, and then it just sits right through autumn.
    It's two years old now, so this season might be better.
    Sue

• petaloid
    16 years ago

I love Sutter's Gold, and we still see it here in SoCal growing in older gardens. To me, it looks as if a ripe mango were transformed into a rose -- color, scent and all!

(Gorgeous photo, Jeri!)

• susan9santabarbara
    16 years ago

I grew Sutter's Gold for several years, but I eventually let it go. It is indeed the beautiful color in Jeri's pic when it first opens, plus it has this extremely attractive veining coloration that I especially love in roses, but it blew lightning fast for me. I mean like 24 hours from just open bud to fully blown. And unfortunately, it was extremely stingy, with very little rebloom. Those two traits led me to "make a decision" about it. Perhaps I had a bad plant, and at this late date, I can't remember whether mine was grafted or own-root. This was back in the day before I kept a data base of my roses. It's a rose I will always remember fondly for its attributes, but not so much want to grow again.

• youngquinn_gw
    16 years ago

Here is Sutters Gold in my Melbourne garden. I agree that it blows very quickly but it i one of my favourites as it is one of the first to bloom in spring...it will start to bloom in around 2 weeks from now

{{gwi:325600}}

• lynnette
    16 years ago

I used to have cl Sutters Gold and I really loved it and although the rose grew very well and had a strong fragrance, the flowers blew and faded quickly and it was very black spot prone. I also only got one flush and not a lot of flowers on it.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I got it from Rogue Valley Roses. It is a pretty rose but it does attract blackspot. Since it is near the area where so many of my roses have RRD (again this year, yes), it will probably be out of here.

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    16 years ago

I grow Sutters Gold too, but I like Bronze Star better. Similar color, bigger flowers, faster repeat, fragrance is just as good.
    Al

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

I have an own root Sutter's Gold. Even though it blows quickly, and is blackspot prone, I'm going to keep if for one reason. The scent will blow you away. And for me it hasn't been stingy. I get 3 to 4 good flushes a summer. Sticking my nose in a bloom on a summer morning is worth the work to keep it alive.
    Kathy

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Ah well, look at the name -- it's a Westerner's Rose, after all.
    You can't really "diss" it for blackspot, as it is a Pernetiana, after all, and less-subject to that than its forebears.
    Bring it back home to dry, dry Southern California, and it can shine. :-)

Jeri

• cynthia94941
    11 years ago

I love Sutter's Gold and have had it for years. The fragrance is intense and fruity. However, in the San Francisco Bay Area, it has a serious problem with rust and a lesser problem with mildew. The edges get crispy in extra-hot weather, so I don't think it would do well in very hot climates. It also blows open pretty quickly, so if you want it as a cut rose, it's good to cut it when it's just beginning to open. I'm going to need to replace one of my bushes this year, and it isn't easy to find because it's an older rose.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

I agree with everything Cynthia said about how SG acts near SF Bay. We have one, which was probably planted in our garden in the 1950s. It was in full shade when we moved in, and never bloomed at all until after about 10 years we moved it to a large pot in full sun, when it grew and burst into bloom. I am assuming that it is on its own roots, or it never would have survived 25 years in full shade. I love the very strong fragrance, and the blooms are gorgeous, even though they do usually open with lightening speed. Since it is a family heirloom planted by my DH's Grandfather, I do spray it occasionally, as it does get rust.

Jackie

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living