Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

Rose cane flopping..,

katefisher
16 years ago

Question about my rose 'Joseph's Coat'. This rose has done quite well this summer in fact better than ever before. I moved it to a sunnier locale in the spring and it has thanked me with pretty consistent blooms the whole season. Problem is about two weeks ago two of the main canes which each have blooms about to open on them started to just fall over. Major flopping. First one just began to list a little to the side, then more, more until now I think I might have to cut it off. While I was away this weekend another established cane began to do the same thing.

They have been consistently watered the whole season with good sunlight and no disease. I'm puzzled! I would love to hear from those who know here what you think might be troubling this rose. It seems to be in good health otherwise and I cannot find any evidence of insects.

Thank you.

Kate

Comments (7)

• windeaux
    16 years ago

Kate,
    Sounds like your Joseph's Coat is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It is a climbing rose that requires support. It's possible to grow it as a shrub, so if that's your goal then you need to do some careful pruning/training. Joseph's Coat is a rose that seems to prefer the fall, & generally produces a lot of growth and bloom during this time of year.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Windeaux:

Well that's good to know. What you say makes sense. So am I correct in that as the canes become taller they are looking to climb rather than becoming erect then? I was aware that it could be grown as a climber or shrub but was hoping for the latter. However it has been doing so well until the flopping began I kind of hate to cut it back if avoidable. Maybe I need to go trellis shopping:)

Thanks again.

Kate

• windeaux
    16 years ago

Joseph's Coat won't produce an attractive shrub without regular pruning. As climbers go, JC is fairly tame & is unlikely to grow out of bounds. Yes, you do need a trellis or some other support. A long, low (fence-like) support is an option -- in fact, you may get more bloom from this climber if it's trained horizontally rather than vertically.

• kittymoonbeam
    16 years ago

I agree. My JC in an upright position in my apple tree bloooms only at the tops. My friend's JC trained along a rail fence blooms all along the canes in a spectacular fashion. The roses in the branches of the tree are very pretty so I just let it grow that way. I only prune it once a year. If you want the most roses, I'd let it flop down like it wants to.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both. It is just as you say that as the canes become longer the greater the flopping. So horizontally eh? That sounds like its worth a try. Right now JC is right next to Molineux so perhaps I can put a trellis in behind the two of them and just let Joseph's Coat stretch out a bit.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Kate

• jerijen
    16 years ago

>> So horizontally eh?

*** The hormones that trigger bloom production tend to rise to the highest point (apical dominance).
    So, if you tie a cane in a vertical position, your blooms will be at the eventual top end of the cane.
    If, OTOH, you tie the cane in a roughly horizontal position, you'll encourage bloom, or blooming laterals,
    all along the cane.
    Thus, a horizontal position will almost always give you more bloom than will a vertical position.

Jeri

• katefisher
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I now have a plan for giving this baby some support effective Saturday. I have my climbing Iceberg planted next to JC so I think I will take my fairly young Iceberg off its trellis, put a new, bigger trellis behind the two of them and let them cover that. On the heels of the good advice here I will not force JC to go up but allow it to move sideways.

Thanks again.

Kate

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler