Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devon_gardener

Would You Ever Send A Man Roses?

devon_gardener
16 years ago

WOULD YOU, OR HAVE YOU EVER SENT ROSES TO A MAN?

On Friday, I recieved a delivery of flowers with many yellow

roses. It was a great surprise. I have never recieved flowers

from anyone before, believe it or not. And I have been sent

Teddy bears, fruit baskets, candy, Valentine boxers, etc.,

but never flowers. And no it was'nt "about last night"(lol).

It was from a client of a co-worker, who appreciated how

helpful I was, so she sent them to me. Some guys may not

like it, but I was impressed!

The Meaning Of Sending Roses By Color

Red Roses-----Passionate Love

Pink Roses----Romantic Love

Yellow Roses--Friendship

White Roses---Spiritual Matters

Comments (91)

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

I would not send roses to anyone but my mother in law (rest her soul) but I do take lots of roses to work and the two people who absolutely look forward to them are men! They know to stop by my desk first thing Monday to see what is on display for the week.
    This week - Just Joey and WS2K.

• bettym_grow
    16 years ago

My next door GF's sons name is Devon. I've known that little boy for eight years. He comes over to play w/ my son and I hear that name every day. I thought it was a common name but apparently from reading some posts it isn't. His little sis's name is Whitney. Is this a rare name also? Just wondering.

Devon, what happened to your rose photo thread? I loved it! I just came home to find I can't see it anywhere. I'll double check again, maybe I'm not focusing too well.
    Anyways I REALLY LIKED IT!

Betty

• bogie
    16 years ago

I have sent my father rose plants for his Birthday and I used to get bouqets of flowers for my husband on a regular basis (which may or may not have included roses).

Now my gift to my husband is the flower/shrub beds that I have put in to keep his mowing and weed-wacking to a minimum (cut it down by 1/2 - goal is by 3/4).

Oh yeah, now I bring the flowers in from the garden (instead of the store) for my husband.

• diggerndeb
    16 years ago

LOL, I was going to answer no but realized I had sent roses to mgleason. I cut roses for guys all the time. Neighbors have gotten used to seeing police cars stop here. They say the roses are for their wife or girlfriend. One crusty ol' fart used to stop and bs while I was working in the yard. I finally cut some he admired and stuck them in a plastic cup full of water. He was jazzed and that broke the ice. He came by every week until he passed away and got some roses.
    People say we look like biker types not flower people. It seems to spin them when we take off for a ride on the scoot :)

digger

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

Hi all,

My youngest son's name is Devon, it is traditionally a male name (especially when spelled with an O) the female version is spelled with an i. It is English in origin and as Devon said from an area in the south. ie Devonshire cream....

I have sent roses on occasion to my husband. He brings them home on a regular basis for me as well, mostly during the winter when he knows I am missing them the most. Although I have asked him not to, as the cost of one bouquet would buy a new one for the yard.

He doesn't know it yet but he is going to receive a huge bouquet shortly. We are starting over from scratch in a new yard and this year put in many new beds and added over 30 new roses. Although it was "my thing" he was always there asking what he could do to help. He has given over precious space in his garage to store 7 potted roses through the winter. I have learned that a cool & a warm can actually live together in harmony. The front yard has the warm red's, yellow's and oranges that he likes and the pink, purple cool colours etc. are filling out the back yard.

Why he even (GASP) picked up a HT one day at the greenhouse and said "we should get this one I like it" WELL I have never had the patience/space for those prima donna's in my yard but we brought her home anyway. Her name is Rio Samba, a dark vixen draped in yellow and orange satin. He loves her to bits and she has grown on me as well.

So yes he will get roses and a card to remind him just how lucky I feel to have found such an amazing guy.

shootingstar

• redsnowflake
    16 years ago

Phylrae - That's funny that you should post that. My husband's name is Sydney and he always felt it was more commonly a girl's name. Especially with that spelling. Most guys spell it Sidney.

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Shootingstar:

Your husband sounds great! He brought a rose home without being told to do so and without major negotiations? Keep him!

About men with semi-unconventional names I think they are great. I vividly recall being in junior high school and all the girls swooning over a handsome young man named Shannon. Did not diminish his pubescent manliness (I think that's an oxymoron..lol) one iota.

Kate

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Betty, do you mean my post called "Photo's Of Roses That
    Captivate"? It is still there. If that is the one you mean, thank
    you for liking it. I think those photo's are amazing!

• luxrosa
    16 years ago

Yes, I have sent a large beautiful bouquet of roses, to a boyfreind, on his birthday. He was very pleased and said that no one had ever given him flowers. Later, I also gave him an Easter basket full of choclolate bunnies, caramel filled eggs, Jordan almonds and jellybeans, that nearly moved him to tears. He's Jewish, and I knew I was taking a chance that might offend him, but he was overjoyed, with the fake ultra -green grass and sugary delights.

Luxrosa

• caffiopeia
    16 years ago

Yes, I did this year. 2 dozen assorted organic roses with chocolates. Oh, and I sent something unmentionable along with them. :0D

• lori_elf z6b MD
    16 years ago

I have cut bouquets of roses and other flowers from my garden and brought them to a dinner or date for a man before and they always were appreciative and a little surprised.:) Since they knew I grew roses and loved them I think they saw it as a reflection of my taste and it's a way to add a woman's touch to a bachelor pads without threatening their masculinity :).

• susz52
    16 years ago

Yes I have, and still do send flowers to men a well as women for thank-yous, birthdays, retirements etc, lots of times just an arrangement from my garden. I admit it does surprise most guys and some women but I have always been thanked and they are pleased. Everyone likes flowers especially if you put some thought into matching the flowers and arrangement with the personality and the message you are sending. I'm always surprised at how many people never get or receive floral gifts.. Flowers that carry a message are always significant, have no calories and no commitment to keep for a looong period of time which is appreciated. Sending flowers to a man is always a unique experience for them unfortunately,[why shouldn't they get flowers?], and make the sender memorable. I like to get flowers and many send me flowers. I can't see any reason not to return the favour, and pass it on too. LOL, sending flowers to a fellow is worth the shock value. Susan R

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

I might send roses to a man in the hospital. I had an old neighbor..he was about 80 and liked to talk and give me fresh vegetables. One time I planted a bunch of daffodil bulbs in his planter, and they are still blooming every spring though he died of cancer about five years ago. I think his relatives thought I had a crush on him which was completely untrue..but that's what you get if you give flowers to a man. STill it's better to give flowers when people are alive. I snap off blooms for my husband to sniff. He'd rather have a special something to eat than a bouquet.

Linda

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Very strange to have a thread about flowers with out any decent bouquets:

If I lived close by I would send Devon some roses. And Randy, Jerome, Foghorn, Michael, Hamp and George (And Alida even if she is a woman) I am sure they would appreciate getting a bouquet of flowers like this (If only pictures came with fragrance ...:Sigh:

{{gwi:236472}}

• pete41
    16 years ago

We will be appreciative even if we aren't.I don't know any males who would really want flowers but flattered by the thought.Better choices out there.

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank You, Cupshaped_roses, you are most kind and your
    bouquet is glorious, but don't forget about Pete. He gets so
    jealous.

RIGHT BACK AT YOU!

• pete41
    16 years ago

I don't want to belabor the obvious-lol
    Yes there are some males that would like flowers.
    But it shouldn't be too hard to do a column A or B thing.
    Although I do like Quiche.

• cactusjoe1
    16 years ago

I had some hesitation chirping in here. But you people are having way too much fun.

I would love to receive flowers, even roses, as a gift. BUT it will only work if they are from my wife or daughter. If they came from any other woman, I would have to question her ulterior motive. (And I don't expect to receive flowers from another man, thank you very much.)

Having said that, I would rather the rose be a bareroot leafless, flowerless kind. But that's not my favourite gift. My favourite gift to receive would be a bottle of good wine. That beats, hands down, a bunch of flowers from Ecuador anytime! Second on my list would be a healthy orchid in bloom.

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will forever be wondering which column you fall into Pete.
    But please do not reveal it. Keep a sense of mystery. It
    makes things so much more interesting.

• pete41
    16 years ago

Thanks but I don't see any mystery from your way.I enjoy these friendly[to me they are] word games so don't let me peeve you off.It's too danged lovey dovey here,lately.lol

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, your not offending me at all Pete. I know who I am.
    And I am very secure. How's the fishing?

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Cupshaped:

What is the rose in that lovely bouquet?

Kate

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Ahh thank you Devon. Knowing Pete I would never send him flowers, he would appreciate a new fishing rod much more. Interesting here in Europe men give other men they like (Family members, friends or coworkers) flowers all the time. In America, too many would think "That is sooo gay". What a pity that men in America do not get nice roses more often. Men enjoy beautiful fragrant roses, but due to homophobia in it´s many shapes , many are afraid to send another man flowers( I would however not send another man red roses ...knowing the language of flowers). We have really big cultural differences!!! One of them being that I even mention these issues about sending or giving a man roses. Roses are so wonderful that they should be enjoyed by everyone. And a big bouquet of fragrant roses is a luxury very few will ever receive since most florist roses have so little scent. So give generous to those who do not grow roses themselves. Whether they are men or women. The scent and beauty of real garden roses will be appreciated.

• pete41
    16 years ago

Well,catch a few but its being on the water-and I sneak my four cigarettes.I just have fishing in my genes,I guess.

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Kate ... It´s a bouquet of Austin Roses "Heritage" and a few "Eden" roses.

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wise words Niels, I suppose European men are more
    sophisticated than most American men. And they
    know how to enjoy life more. It seems the personal
    touch is lost these days in America. I love the U.S.A.,
    but I know we have to work on treating our fellow
    American with more graciousness.

• pete41
    16 years ago

I have been to Europe=so no sale there.

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pete, you have been to Europe, but you don't know how to
    enjoy Europe. That may be a problem for you. But there
    is always fishing, right?

• mehearty
    16 years ago

This was a nice thread until the need arose to rag on American men. =( Just because a man doesn't want or appreciate cut roses as a gift doesn't mean he's "homophobic" or unsophisticated. As I stated above my husband wouldn't want roses to be sent to him. That does not translate to having "issues" for either him or me. He'd much prefer to savor the gift of a good book. Does that make him more intellectual than European men? Of course not! It just means people have different tastes. Appreciation & sophistication cuts both ways.

What does this have to do with gardening anyway? lol

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mehearty, I'm sorry. I did not mean to put down U.S.
    men. There is nothing wrong with a guy not liking to
    recieve roses as a gift, but considering it a threat to
    their masculinity is an issue of being insecure.

• lavenderrose
    16 years ago

Cupshaped- I thought those looked like Heritage! I have one (and Eden too) and it does have an great, strong scent. Nothing seems to phase the plant either. Only drawback is the flowers do not last too long in the vase. Your bouquet is beautiful! DA's James Galway would look good in that mix too.

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. You guys are really funny with your fishing, scotch, cigars and good meals. It's too hilarious that here we are on a rose forum, for heaven's sake, talking about giving someone roses, and there's even a question about being delighted by such a gift. My dad taught me to love roses. He was an awesome sportsman, athlete, and a handsome devil - if he ever received roses, he'd have accepted them with a sparkle in his eye. I give roses to guys all the time and have never had anything but pure joy in response. And no, I'm not looking for dates when I do it! You go, Devon, great topic. And Cupshaped, you never fail to amuse and stimulate the conversation. Pete, I'd love to share a scotch with you one day. You always, always make me laugh.

Sue

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Mehearthy there are many different opinions about this subject and every forum member are allowed to have his/ or her. Lashing people with political correctness because they beg to differ and make different observations than yours is not "nice". Nothing in my post about the cultural differences about giving men roses, here and over there, ragged "American men". I wonder why you choose to take offense?

And I addressed the joy of getting real garden roses instead of florist roses. If your husband want a book, instead of roses, I am sure there are book forums . Here the topic is roses. And roses have many cultural aspects too.

• pete41
    16 years ago

This has been a fun ,good natured post with friendly joshing as far as I can see.Now that is a male trait.I have grown quite fond of Devon and Cupshaped because they have kept this from becoming a morgue.I come here for fun but maybe we should go to conversation for chatter and leave discussion for serious .

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Cupshaped those are just so stunning. Since I'm still a rose newbie I thought they might be DA's 'The Generous Gardener'. I'm putting those two beauties on my to-think-about list thanks to you:)

Kate

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

I agree Pete! Kate I really love Heritage but it does get rather big over there in your climate. And many in costal Ca have complained about Eden being susceptible to rust. Which I have never seen Eden get here or any where in Europe. Again Location, location location as Michael always writes.
    The Generous Gardener is also a very good rose Kate, but remember that it is climber!

Yes lavenderrose: Heritage only last about 2-3 days in a vase and petals will drop all over. I have many Heritage rosebushes and cut about 20 of these big bouquets each year, that scents the room. I always have 3 big wases with roses in my home, from my cutting garden. Most of the time I prefer to have only one type of roses in the vase, other times I mix the blush pink Austins (Heritage, Sharifa Asma, Eglantyne, James Galway, Scepter D isle etc. Other times I mix many colours of OGR roses and Austins. Even very different colours of rose roses go well together like this arrangement of Austins in a soup terrine shows:

{{gwi:325770}}

Right now I also make arrangement with dark red Austins and they are stunning!!

I also make big bouquets of red hybrid teas and I mix them (crimson glory, Papa Meilland, Erotika, Mister Lincoln and Ingrid Bergman. Big Bouquets of up to 30 roses in big vase.I tell you the fragrance is overwhelming!

So I always have lots of cut flowers in the house. Some roses are not good for cutting I let these float in a bowl or a flat glass plate: like this:

Alchymist:

{{gwi:325773}}

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Oh cupshaped I am greeeen with envy! I have only one Heritage and while I just love the blooms I obviously need many more so I can make arrangements like your. Plus an few Alchemysts, Edens, Sharifas, Scepters, and a boat load of little garden gnomes to dig out a buncha holes..
    And thanks for telling me that my Generous Gardener is a climber, no wonder it keeps throwing canes like my Teasing Georgas. Duh, pay attention to the fine print Michelle.

Interesting that Joe mentioned liking live orchids in bloom as a gift. A few years ago I started giving them as gifts whenever a bouquet was normally called for. I have yet to hear anything other than delight when given. That includes the men. It may be that culturally it loses the stigma that is normally reserved for a cut bouquet, who knows.

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pete, thank's for smoking the peace pipe with me. I also
    like having fun on these here forums. What's wrong with
    tongue-in-cheek bantering? There should always be more to
    discuss than powdery mildew and blackspot. Live it up this
    week-end dude. Later! (To be continued)

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

CUPSHAPED_ROSES, thank you for those incredible pics. That
    Alchymist looks so good. You have the best Eden photo's I
    have ever seen. By the way, I used your pic of Eden on my
    post called "Photo's That Captivate". Have you seen that post?
    Thank you for posting here. I enjoy your responses.
    How are things in Denmark?

• altorama Ray
    16 years ago

You are all very funny!
    Anyway, I don't think I would send a man roses, I would
    rather give them to him in person. I'm sure I'd use the
    roses from my own garden if I could. Maybe if he was sick or
    far away I would send the roses.
    If I ever sent my DH roses he would be so confused...and
    the discussion would go on for days..
    Alida

• lavenderrose
    16 years ago

Cupshaped- I was going to try to resist getting any more David Austins this year, but your photos are making it awfully hard! Do you know anything about Lady Emma Hamilton?

• reg_pnw7
    16 years ago

No, I haven't ever sent a man roses. Didn't think they'd be appreciated. Maybe I was wrong, or maybe they just weren't the flowers type. Not everyone is, male or female.

No one's sent me flowers since I was in college. Everyone figures I already have a garden full of them.

When I worked in an office I would bring in bouquets for the receptionist and for the front sales desk. The receptionist loved them, and the customers often commented on them, but the male salesmen never showed much interest in them except as far as they might prompt sales of rose bushes (wholesale nursery sales office).

My Dictionary of First Names doesn't even list Devon! but it's not all that uncommon. I've known a few Devons, all male. 'Sidney' is listed as a name traditionally used for either sex, along with its spelling variant Sydney. In the US it's generally a female name, with either spelling, according to this book, but has a long history as a unisex name.

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Yes Devon I saw you used my picture of a bouquet of Eden roses. I also like the other roses you chose especially brass band and Disneyland. It is getting fall here in Denmark and I have been working my butt off all summer creating gardens for a number of clients. I am really getting better all the time at designing and creating beautiful gardens. People have so much money since the economy is booming and many are willing to spend $5.000 - $40.000 on their gardens since they all had new kitchens and bathrooms.The new status symbol over here are beautiful gardens.

Oh Alida I wonder how your Husband would take react if another man send you flowers.

It is also interesting to hear the term: When flowers are called for. Seems we call a lot more over here!!! LOL But flowers are much cheaper over here too. If I send flowers to some in US I often pay 80-100 dollars and they are not getting much :-( and most often don´t even get the colour of roses I ordered right (Mostly I give White Roses and Lilies). I once bought some relatives to a friend I was traveling with In Las Vegas Some red Roses Since she like them so much. Later that day her husband came home with 12 red roses too. And when He saw that I had given her 24 huge Red Roses in a big vase in the living room, there was a moment of embarrassment..... So I never give red roses anymore to someone (man or woman) unless I really MEAN it. White or pink roses would have been better ... I think?

Lavenderrose: I think it is too early to recommend Lady Emma Hamilton. I grow it and find it is a strange roses since the leaves and buds(sepals) are so dark!!! almost blackish green and brown: I was also surprised that it was not darker, I had expected a more warm apricot colour, but mine have almost the same colour as Jude The Obcure, but are pale pink on the outer petals. Fragrance is similiar to Jude the Obscure, but it is not as strong.

One of the best bright coloured golden yellow roses ever are Golden Celebration. If I only had room for one yellow that would be my choice, since it is easy to grow succesfully. It a big beautiful yellow rose!!! With a better scent than LEH. It will get big probably 6 feet tall and 4 -5 feet wide in your area. And I like it better as a cutting rose Than LEH:

{{gwi:325775}}

(This photo is bad quality because it a scan of picture ...from the pre digital camera period)

Michelle: Teasing Georgia is extremely vigorous too, it even gets huge here. But The Generous Gardener is a real climber.

Seattlesuze: I am happy that you have a sense of humor and don´t take things to seriously. I was really thinking the same ...people on a rose forum who do not like to get roses???? Now thats peculiar!

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

I have been very entertained with this thread over my coffee all week, thank you all and Devon:)

Yes, I've sent my 6'5" DH 1/2 doz roses at work when he was a Det Sgt. I did it with glee knowing they'd be carried through the whole substation with everyone following to see the look on his face when it was set on his desk. He loved it too, even all the ribbing from his detectives and envy from the secretary. Supposedly they went home and told their DWs why don't you send me flowers like Sarge's wife did to him:)

I like doing the unexpected and unpredictable.

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Seattlesuze, thank you for saying those nice things and
    enjoying the post.

Leslie, good story. Wish you had a pic of his reaction.
    It's so cool that a manly guy like him, got a kick out
    of it. It makes for special memories, too. I'm glad
    you posted here. Glad you enjoy this thread, too.

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

Except for our brief show season, we try and keep a vase of roses filled in the production area of the company I work for. We try and keep a few stinky ones in the batch although they do not last as long and take more effort as cut flowers.

It is a good feeling to be able to share our bounty with others.

I read a book on the cut flower trade and it encouraged me to send my wife two dozen roses, even though we were A$$ deep in roses in our back yard. I kind of spoiled it by stealing some of the pollen, but men are pigs - er - I mean - chickens.

Foghorn

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

I have two boy friends, besides my husband. My husband is a boyfriend! The boy friends we both love, they are the best. I have taken them roses and I would send them roses/flowers to them for a special ocasion for sure. No point sending them to my Alan as we have roses in the house practiacally all the time. Even in the winter, I often buy the Costco bunch. I am very careful what I buy, and if they are not ultra fresh, then the Costco lady will take me into the refridgerater and lets me choose from the stock there. I have had them last for three weeks. But I always put them outside or in our shed at night. It prolongs their life, big time.

Yeah, another great thread Devon. I enjoyed reading it, plus had a bit of fun with you and Pete on the sly. Hugs to both of you!

• devon_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pauline, your a sweetheart. I wish you and your husband,
    to be always surrounded by the beauty of roses.

Yeah, teasing Pete is fun. Don't tell anyone, but I think
    he's got a secret crush. So I'm expecting roses from him
    soon. Bet he'll send some red ones. Let's make this our
    little forum secret though.

• john_w
    16 years ago

I would never send roses to a live man.

Several (married!) women on this forum have send me roses.

;)

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Devon, that's hilarious, thanks for starting my day with a big grin. Hope Pete knows you like the light pinks, the romantic kind. (teehee) Apologies to Pete's wife, but she knows we're ribbing. I am sure she is getting a kick out of this too.:)

Too funny too John!

All have an awesome weekend!
    Pauline - Vancouver Island