Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Climbing Rose seeds

Posted by Tossy none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 12:15

I am looking for climbing rose seeds, I do have a few Blue Rose seeds that I ordered from Hong Kong left. Would love to trade! Or if you are not interested in the blue rose but have extra climbing rose seeds you don't mind giving away, let me know.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Climbing Rose seeds

Tossy, I'm sorry, but you were taken in by a complete scam with those "blue rose seeds" from Hong Kong. They most certainly will not grow into blue roses, and others have said they grow into radishes. DO NOT BUY ANY MORE "ROSE" seeds on Ebay.

As for climbing rose seeds, you are much better off going to your local nursery and buying a climbing rose. Even if you manage to get real "rose seeds" from someone, it is impossible to know in advance what will actually germinate, and for a year or two, you will not know whether it will climb, or rebloom, or what color it will be.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here.

Kathy

o

I agree with what Kathy posted. But, if you want to grow climbing rose seed for curiosity and it really doesn't matter how good the roses you raise are, go for it. It's fun and always interesting seeing what comes up, as long as they ARE roses!

You do know that seed from a named rose will not produce plants of that rose, right? They may resemble it, or not, and a very few will be as good or potentially better, but most won't. If the seed are from a wide cross, meaning two totally unrelated types of roses, then self or open pollinated, you may get some really interesting things. If they are from a line with much inbreeding, you probably won't get much of any value.

I see from your page you live here in the US, so if you're interested, I do have seed from several climbing seedlings I will be happy to send for the postage. Mailing them out of the country is more of a hassle. I can send you a list with links to them on their Help Me Find - Roses pages so you can what the mommas look like. What the seedlings will become, who knows? But, raising them and discovering what they COULD become is more than half the fun! If you're interested, please email me directly through the system here. Kim

o

I have some hips of 2 beautiful climbing, repeating singles, if anyone is interested. My Wild Irish Rose x Pierre Gagnaire. Or they could be My Wild Irish Rose selfed. I didn't mark them :)

Both of these climb for me. I love both those roses!

The hips on MWIR are gorgeous, btw.

o

Thanks Meredith! I sent you a email through the site here with my address.

o

Cool! I'll look for it :)

o

You can raise climbers from seeds if the seeds are from species roses that are known to climb. For exmaple, if you get seeds from "Kiftsgate", or other Rosa filipes varieties, you sould have a pretty good chance of getting a climber. If you are lucky, you could end up with a monster like "Treasure Trove".

o

I actually do have hips from Vintage's 'Sebastopol Queen' and 'Toby Tristam' where they may have crossed (or not). I have those planted together mainly for the hips for the birds, but I'm sure they'd be happy to share.

Those are some big roses :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here