Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tossy_gw

Looking for Climbing Rose seeds

Tossy
12 years ago

I am looking for climbing rose seeds, I do have a few Blue Rose seeds that I ordered from Hong Kong left. Would love to trade! Or if you are not interested in the blue rose but have extra climbing rose seeds you don't mind giving away, let me know.

Thanks!!!

Comments (7)

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Tossy, I'm sorry, but you were taken in by a complete scam with those "blue rose seeds" from Hong Kong. They most certainly will not grow into blue roses, and others have said they grow into radishes. DO NOT BUY ANY MORE "ROSE" seeds on Ebay.

As for climbing rose seeds, you are much better off going to your local nursery and buying a climbing rose. Even if you manage to get real "rose seeds" from someone, it is impossible to know in advance what will actually germinate, and for a year or two, you will not know whether it will climb, or rebloom, or what color it will be.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here.

Kathy

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I agree with what Kathy posted. But, if you want to grow climbing rose seed for curiosity and it really doesn't matter how good the roses you raise are, go for it. It's fun and always interesting seeing what comes up, as long as they ARE roses!

You do know that seed from a named rose will not produce plants of that rose, right? They may resemble it, or not, and a very few will be as good or potentially better, but most won't. If the seed are from a wide cross, meaning two totally unrelated types of roses, then self or open pollinated, you may get some really interesting things. If they are from a line with much inbreeding, you probably won't get much of any value.

I see from your page you live here in the US, so if you're interested, I do have seed from several climbing seedlings I will be happy to send for the postage. Mailing them out of the country is more of a hassle. I can send you a list with links to them on their Help Me Find - Roses pages so you can what the mommas look like. What the seedlings will become, who knows? But, raising them and discovering what they COULD become is more than half the fun! If you're interested, please email me directly through the system here. Kim

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    12 years ago

I have some hips of 2 beautiful climbing, repeating singles, if anyone is interested. My Wild Irish Rose x Pierre Gagnaire. Or they could be My Wild Irish Rose selfed. I didn't mark them :)

Both of these climb for me. I love both those roses!

The hips on MWIR are gorgeous, btw.

• Tossy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Meredith! I sent you a email through the site here with my address.

12 years ago

Cool! I'll look for it :)

• cactusjoe1
    12 years ago

You can raise climbers from seeds if the seeds are from species roses that are known to climb. For exmaple, if you get seeds from "Kiftsgate", or other Rosa filipes varieties, you sould have a pretty good chance of getting a climber. If you are lucky, you could end up with a monster like "Treasure Trove".

12 years ago

I actually do have hips from Vintage's 'Sebastopol Queen' and 'Toby Tristam' where they may have crossed (or not). I have those planted together mainly for the hips for the birds, but I'm sure they'd be happy to share.

Those are some big roses :D