Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debandroses

hopefully vegatation killer.....not the R word

debandroses
10 years ago

I know that vegetation killer can deform leaves but does it cause hyperthorniness and thicker canes? My neighbor has poisoned roses next to the fenceline. Now a rose approx 5ft away has 3 thick canes coming from a single node and the thorns are so thick I could probably brush my hair with them. They are soft to touch.Another cane has the same symptoms but the thick canes are each coming from a single node.Should I cut the canes and hope for the best? The canes in question are closest to the dead rose that he poisoned. Not sure what to do here.

Comments (9)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    10 years ago

Is this a first, or have you had a problem before with these symptoms?

I have done my best to convince myself that symptoms like these are Round Up. I always end up digging up the rose. I would get rid of it, and get a new rose. Others may disagree with me.

Good luck,
    Sammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Do you have some pics?

If you know poison was recently used close by, I might be more cautious about declaring an invasion of RRD. Why don't you try cutting those affected stems all the way down to the soil line (and lower if that is where the stem is growing from). Dispose of those stems and wait to see what happens. If the odd growth returns later, then maybe assume it is actually RRD. If the odd growth doesn't return, assume it was herbicide damage.

That's what I would do--but go with your best judgment.

Kate

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

If you do decide to cut the suspect cane to the ground, I suggest that you also water the plant heavily to remove any potential herbicide from the soil. Some people assume that herbicide damage can come only from overspray. However, it can also come from the soil. For example.

"3) Overspray is not the only way glyphosate can reach your roses. The Round-Up can leave the roots of a treated weed, pass through the soil, and be picked up by the roots of nearby rose bushes. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11104-007-9387-1# AND http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S116103010900063X

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I've had spray drift far further than 5 feet. Since you know that your neighbor sprayed weed killer I'd think it was that. When I had it happen to me there was extra thorniness and thick canes too. I would remove the cane, keep it well watered and watch the new growth carefully.

• debandroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll cut the affected canes down, water well and watch it close.The lawn on his side and along my fence looks as if he poured something on the ground ,the grass is dead for a good 15ft. I had 1 rose ,at a different city, with rrd.I destroyed it but ,in this case, I know poison was used, so I'm hoping this isn't rrd.I'll get pics when I get home.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

My new neighbors did this to my roses a while back. They are still showing/ growing damage. I watered and watered. I might dig it up, cut it into sections and try to pot the section farthest from the damage then replace the soil. My neighbors only speak Chinese and I can't tell them about what happened. Show your neighbor the rose and tell him you have to replace it now.

• debandroses
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My neighbor and I don't get aong. I personally think he did it to be mean. He comes out and cusses the lawn guys everytime they mow my yard. They apparently get my grass clippings on his yard. Since the police was called ,he's eased up on that though.
    Here are some pics of the damage.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

About 4-5 years ago I had trouble with our one neighbor to the point I installed a small hidden camera in our backyard...
    I caught our neighbor on video tape purposely spraying our plants and a small tree with weed poison.
    I confronted her and told her I had solid proof and if it happened again the law would be called in...
    I never told her about our hidden camera.
    Bad things stopped happening and she doesn't bother us any more...

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Lazy mow guys blow weedy lawn clippings over to my flowerbed every week. I just hate that. I go out and stand there watering when they are there now and it's not so bad as it was. Tell your mow crew to be sure not to blow anything over there. I don't excuse his chemical attack on your plant. I think he should make that right. Someone put weed concentrate on some trees that someone planted and grew up to block an ocean view near Los Angeles. I think this goes on everywhere.