Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timmytwo_gw

ZERO growth since planting in July

timmytwo
10 years ago

Hello,

I am trying to figure out why my rose has had ZERO growth since planting

This past summer was the first in our new property.

I purchased a beautiful John Davis Kordesii rose at a a plant sale at the MN Landscape Arboretum in late May. The plant was in wonderful condition. My plan was to put it against our new (not yet installed welded wire in frame fence -ie lots on sun and air flow) ) We had a very late and wet spring/June summer here, so it turned out the fence did not get in until after July 4th. I planted it around July tenth. My concern is that I have seen ZERO growth since planting.

I know that sun can be a factor on weak growth (- and after seeing the sun over the full course of the summer I decided that I might need to replant the rose) BUT I cannot believe that the sun alone could explain it - The rose does get sun or muted sun over 6 hrs a day, and when I had it waiting to be planted it was in a fairly shady area and managed to put out new growth.

I am thinking that it could be that the rose is simply putting in roots- but wonder if that might be wishful thinking.

Other factors.

I have since had soil tested in two other areas of our yard and leared that we have very high P and K values.

When I planted I put in some bone meal, and composted manure

The rose is about 2 feet from new concrete for a fence post

==

This post was edited by timmytwo on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 12:43

Comments (14)

• timmytwo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Second image - This yellowing only appeared in the last 2/3 weeks

• timmytwo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

End of branches have looked like this since planting

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Having the roots disturbed by transplanting can stop a rose from growing for a month or so. After that, could the rose have had too little water? I don't see any indications of water logging. The plant looks good except for the absence of new growth. I wouldn't worry about the mild yellowing of old leaves.

Very high P and K values usually indicate that the soil was in a garden that was fertilized, or over-fertilized, in the past. P and K will build up and persist in the soil, whereas available N is transient in the soil. Plain lawn fertilizer is a good way to add N when P and K are not needed. One TB is enough for around 6 square feet but it only lasts around 6 weeks.

Given your soil test, you can give the bone meal to a gardening friend. Excessive P interferes with the uptake of other nutrients.

I don't known why your rose isn't growing, but I suspect it will be fine next year. John D is a great rose for northern gardens. However, I recall the young stems being plum-coiored rather than green.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

John Davis is a rose that can take its own sweet time. Since it isn't growing backwards at this point, I wouldn't worry. The yellowing may be turning fall colors.

If it still hasn't grown two years from now, then something might be wrong. Before that, just be patient. It may take a decade before you really get to see what this rose can do.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I think your rose is about ready to put out some new growth. Although your pics aren't as clear and focused as might be desired, in that last pic I swear I see two little red rounded things right where the leaflet meets the main stem. In my garden, those two little red thingies are new buds that will soon sprout and develop strong red branches with blooming buds at the end of them.

Let us know in a couple weeks what they do.

Kate

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I don't recall my 'John Davis' being slow to get started, but mad_gallica's comments are always trustworthy, so it sounds like you just need to be patient.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Slow and steady wins the race with climbers. They may sleep for 3 or 4 years and then suddenly jump up. It takes time to build up a big root ball to send food all the way out to the ends of the long canes. Until it feels it has sufficient root ball to do that it won't put on much top growth. But look out when it does!

• timmytwo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback.

We did have a very dry August, so although I watered it is very possible the plant got too dry.

Unless it is mis-labeled it is a John Davis.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

John Davis is not classed as a climber, it's a Hybrid Kordesii, but in growth habit it behaves like a climber with long flexible canes.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Michael, was yours grafted or own-root? It seems to make a big difference with the Explorer Kordesiis. My guess is that given the source, MN Arboretum, this one is own-root. Mine is own-root and is just starting to grow again after being transplanted five years ago.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

Tim, northern soils tend to have high levels of P & K, my own soil test showed high to excessive levels of both just after I first moved into my house & I'm positive the previous owner wasn't doing any soil amending. I have a 25' hedge of John Davis roses (just 5 plants) that has been here for about 8 years. Remember the garden saying, "the 1st year it sleeps (it's growing roots), the 2nd year it creeps (still growing mostly roots) & the 3rd year it leaps" (now its got a good root system so it can grow a lot of leaves, twigs & flowers). As to the yellowing leaves, JD is a Z3 hardy rose & is acclimated to northern climates, it knows enough to go dormant in the fall so its leaves will change color & drop off as opposed to HT's in my garden that don't want to go dormant & will have green leaves still on the bush in the middle of a Dec snow storm. JD will need no winter protection in your zone but if you have rabbits around, I would recommend some wire fencing or rabbit trapping. {{gwi:325968}}

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Great pic wirosarian! They look very nice! :)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Yes, that's a luscious hedge. Lovely! Diane

• bart_2010
    10 years ago

I agree with Kate; I think I see growth buds on it.It doesn't sound all that strange to me that the plant has not shown top growth yet; it probably IS working on it's roots;plus, at least in my climate, summer (late July and August) is more or less a dormant period for roses,so a newly-planted rose just won't shoot up the way it would in Spring...bart

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia