Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buford_gw

Ordered from Palentine!

buford
9 years ago

This is my first order with Palentine. Several of my Society Members have reported that Multiflora roses do well down here. I went classic HTs. Many of my older HTs did not survive the winter or did and are still not doing well. Plus I've been getting into showing, so I wanted to add some. Here is what I got:

Razzle Dazzle
Gemini (replacement)
Double Delight (replacement)
Paridise
Rainbow Niagara
Lucille Ball
Dainty Bess (replacement)
Pope John Paul (replacing another white rose I had)
Dark Desire (this is a new Kordes that was featured in the latest ARS magazine).

I opted for March 2015 shipping. I could plant here in November, but my yard is a mess, and I'd rather work on the beds so I can just plop these in the ground when they arrive.

The one rose I did want was a mini, but they only had a rose tree, and I didn't want to spend $60 on that.

Comments (53)

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I ordered 8 today, mostly ADR roses and Fairy Tale roses. After this order, Kordes will be the number 1 breeder in my garden in terms of number of roses planted, replacing Mr. Austin (assuming that I can successfully practice self control..)

Also, ordered a Sweet Jane, not knowing anything about it. I have a number of Kordes yellows, and they are all great performer. For this one, I am keeping relying on my "faith" on Kordes yellows

• fireballsocal
    9 years ago

When I was young, my neighbor had Lucille Ball planted out front, unkempt, unpruned, and was the most incredible flower I had ever smelled. It stuck with me all these years. Palatine has it rated fairly low fragrance wise. Could be my nose thinks it remembers something it doesn't remember. Other reviews here in gardenweb aren't very favorable. I ordered her anyway but am curious if anyone else has planted her and their thoughts?

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

I just ordered Gloire de Mousseaux, Dark Desire (who could resist?), Sheila's Perfume and Julia's Rose. I overlooked scent when I chose most of my existing roses, so I'm hoping to rectify that with these. Julia's Rose I bought strictly for the colour, though. I go weak in the knees for the coffee roses!

I bought Poseidon from Palatine last spring. It's been a fantastic performer - growing to 5' from bare-root and full of big blooms with little or no black spot. Amazing!

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Brides dream is a very pretty rose. Wish it was fragrant.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Made my fall order today.Risky, I know. I have had great success in fall planting bare roots so I have my fingers crossed. Ordered, Michele Meilland, Philatelie, and Pink Enchantment. I will get my holes ready and wait for these beauties. If anyone has info on these I would appreciate your response. 2015…can`t wait! lesley

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Yep I got my order in first thing this morning. I really don't have room and shouldn't be ordering ANYTHING!! But I wanted to try CRESCENDO from them instead of J&P. The one I got from J&P this season never broke dormancy. Hope this one does better. And like many of you I wanted DARK DESIRE. I figure that one will be sold out fast. And for a third one got SUNNY SKY. Not like I need another yellow.... We'll see how they do.

Lesley and anybody else ordering PHILATELIE... You're gonna love that rose!! My favorite new one from this season.
    {{gwi:313327}}

{{gwi:313326}}

• lesmc
    9 years ago

THanks Beth, for the fabulous pictures! I am very excited for this rose. I love the stripes and I have the perfect place for this one. Smiling as I type! Lesley

• shopshops
    9 years ago

OOps I've done it again. Ordered today for early March delivery.

POSEIDON............Have been lusting after this for a while

MARTINE GUILLOT........Should have one coming from RUL but
    wanted to see how this performs on
    Multiflora.

TINNEKE..................Many people listed this as a can't live without rose on several posts.
    EDEN................... As predicted I'm running out of "floor" space
    and I have suddenly developed a taste for
    Climbers. Was previously fearful due to Texas
    critters..also known as snakes. What gives?

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Lesmc, planted pink enchantment this past spring. A few pretty blooms this year. Am hopeful for next year. So far a very healthy little plant.

• madri_gw
    9 years ago

My palatine order for fall. Could not resist, ordered on the first day through my rose society. I am amazed as to how fast they are getting sold out. Osiria was sold out with in hrs. Not sure if I got one, as I ordered through the rose society. I am very excited about the new roses, but nervous about all the digging I need to do before I get them. This rose growing hobby is indeed addicting and infectious.

1.Ketchup and Mustard
    2. Grimm Brother Fairy Tale
    3. Dolly Parton
    4. Razzle Dazzle
    5. Drop Dead Red
    6. Double Delight
    7.Crescendo
    8. Baronne Edmond de Rothschild
    9. Dark Desire
    10. Osiria

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Lesmc, found this pic of my souvenir de Baden Baden. Hope,it takes off next year.

• buford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Madri, looks like we have the same taste! I have been looking at Baronne Edmond de Rothschild, you'll have to let me know how it does.

I have heard that the roots on these roses are huge. I think I may have to soak these in my bathtub when I get them.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I put in my spring order with Palatine last night: Cornelia, Boule de Neige, and Garden of Roses (Cream Veranda). One is a new rose and the other two are replacement roses--last winter, in all its brutality, damaged a couple of my roses badly, but the replacement roses are probably better suited to that spot anyway.

Kate

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Susan…thank you for sharing your picture of souvenir de Baden Baden…I love it! Lesley

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Man, OH, Man are they selling out fast! I dropped the ball and didn't get my order in until Monday night and they were sold out of 5 of the roses I wanted. I was really looking forward to Boule de Neige and Jenny Duval.

The bare roots from Palatine are HUGE. Last year I ordered 10 from them and 22 from another vendor. Both arrived at the same time and the bundle from Palatine was much larger though half the number of roses. Those roses are also doing much better.

SCG

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Kate, enjoy your 'Garden of Roses'-- it is a fabulous rose. If anyone else has some room left, I would recommend it to everyone (it is quite compact). Mine is still covered with flowers and buds and has a gorgeous citrus scent.

• buford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I noticed they are oos of Crescendo, I was considering that one. PJP and Razzle Dazzle are sold out too. Glad I got my order in yesterday!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I'm so upset that I could scream. After accepting my order last night, Palatine emailed me this afternoon that Boule de Neige is sold out and did I want to order a different rose.

NO, IN THUNDER. The only reason I ordered from Palatine was because I wanted Boule de Neige. If I can't get it, there is no point in me getting anything from Palatine--so I cancelled the entire order! Of course, they say they have already processed my "deposit" of about $35.00. Don't know if they will refund me that amount or not, but I am so angry right now at Palatine that I don't want to do any business with them at all!

Excuse me while I go sulk for a while. I'm really, really upset! Why did they tell me yesterday they had accepted my order and then today say they can't deliver on Boule de Neige?

Kate

• buford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So sorry Kate, that stinks.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

I know just how u feel, Kate. Have had this happen many times....or wrong rose sent and planted, etc. I always feel a little nuts ordering new roses when I have existing ones blooming! And I never believe I will get them until I see them. We have created a mob herd mentality with the preordering frenzy. I am very guilty of this.
    I have always had good service from palatine and a very good quality bare root. They should refund your entire deposit as they are a reputable company.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Kate, I, too, really wanted Boule de Neige and even ordering a day ahead of you got the same email today.

I can only assume but I am going to guess that the website can process your order but it doesn't know and can't calculate how much stock they have on each rose. So this they must manually do by going through each order, checking stock and then updating the website. Not making excuses for them but I cut them some slack as they are rose people not computer geeks. It still sucks. I am hoping this year isn't like last year where when I said I would take other roses they ran out of stock before getting to my email, thrice! LOL

Good Luck

SCG

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Three times? You have my sympathies, SCG! I'm just hoping they will refund my "deposit" since I cancelled the entire order. At least I didn't take the chance two more times that they would be able to give me something I really wanted. I mean, by the time I got to a THIRD alternate order, I'd be stuck buying roses I did not even want!

I'm still bummed out. If they didn't have enough stock to meet a reasonable public demand, they shouldn't be offering the rose as though it were really available.

Unless we are really to believe that (evidentally for the second year in a row), they were so swamped by Boule de Neige orders that they ran out of their numerous supply in less than 24 hours!

I'm not buying that!

Kate

• sidos_house
    9 years ago

I was disappointed as well. I had a feeling some of the roses wouldn't last long and placed my order just as soon as the website was activated. In fact, I could tell they were still making adjustments to get the site working while I was in the process of ordering. Still. I received communication that THREE of the roses I ordered were sold out. And my order was placed just minutes after they opened.

I was upset. Quite. But I will still order from them in future years because they have a great selection and their roses are huge. But I will expect this kind of thing from now on. And maybe calling in "replacements" rather than emailing.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Kate - I can understand why you are upset. They are selling out of certain varieties way too fast. I think I'm going to skip Palatine this year. I can deal with an occasional substitute, but I think this could get ridiculous!

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Why is there a 3 rose minimum?

• littlesmokie
    9 years ago

Yes Palatine also processed my order on the website only to send an email the following the day that 2 (chartreuse de parme & devoniensis) were actually out of stock. It's so much more disappointing when I thought I "had" them LOL
    And I thought I was so on the ball getting my order in the day after they opened...

• fireballsocal
    9 years ago

I'd imagine they were probably hit with several hundred internet orders that first day, if not the first morning. I know I also put mine in as soon as the site allowed me to. Such a small company must have problems dealing with the ebb and flow of orders plus keeping track of availability.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

I had the same thing happen - ordered Dark Desire, Sheila's Perfume, Gloire de Mousseaux and Julia's Rose only to receive an email the next day that Gloire de Mousseaux and Julia's Rose were sold out. So frustrating! Perhaps they've got less inventory than they anticipated after last winter?

But I do want to relate this: I went there in person to pick up my order last spring and they are a pretty small operation (in terms of manpower at least). I had a wonderfully informative conversation with Rene, the owner, who was patient, gracious and generous with his encyclopedic knowledge of roses. While I perused their inventory he took my kids to his barn to see the chickens and collect eggs, which he then gave to us as a gift. He and his wife are lovely people, if not computer geeks, as SCG put it!

Pickering isn't even opening at all this year, by the way.

Karen

• Karolina11
    9 years ago

I placed my order midday Monday and received an email saying they were out of Crescendo and Boulde de Neige. No problem, their roses are well priced and huge compared to everyone else. The ones I got last year are at lease double in size now when compared to any other supplier. We have to be mindful that Pickering, the other large Canadian/multiflora supplier, is not available this year so I am sure a large amount of those people went to Palatine. The Pickering news was not announced early in the year so it's not like Palatine knew they were going to get a ton more business. They have been more than courteous year after year.

• buford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband asked me why I had to order first thing in the AM for roses I won't get until March. I told him it was like 'pre ordering' the iphone. You have to get in early or you risk losing out.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

And Buford, paradise will knock you out!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Since I started the complaints here about Palatine's method of accepting orders and then later checking to see if they actually have what you ordered, let me state for the record that in other respects, Palatine is a terrific nursery that delivers a terrific product (the rose) that is ready and eager to grow in your garden.

I've gotten back my "cool" since I found a small nursery elsewhere that is preparing a gallon, own-root Boule de Neige for me for next spring. After searching for 2 seasons, I may actually get my longed for rose. : )

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

It's easy to get frustrated, especially when it's a rose you've really wanted. I know Palatine must have a lot to deal with, especially with Pickering not shipping roses right now. I'm sure it is not easy for them to know how much stock they'll need of a particular variety. They are an excellent company and have been very pleasant to deal with. Kate, I wish you the best with your Boule de Neige, it is a beautiful rose.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Good news Kate. Glad you did not give up and that you found the rose elsewhere. After seeing all of these posts about Boule de Neige, I want it too!! Lesley

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Me too. See how this starts! Lol. I had never even heard of this rose before this post! Lol I am pathetic. HELP me before I rose again.

• madri_gw
    9 years ago

Buford, I was thinking the same when I saw your list. I will keep you posted on BER. Also I soak my roses as soon as they come, in a large tote in the garage. That saves me from cleaning the bath tub if I have to soak them in the bath tub.
    Also Kate, Palatine customer service is great and I was communicating with Rachel who was very prompt to respond and very helpful. May be they could place your rose order for next year. If not, I am sure they would refund your money. But looks like you got your rose from some other place. That's great that you got the rose you wanted, I know how wonderful that feels.

• rosybunny
    9 years ago

To anyone who wants Dark Desire, I just checked, RU has it.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

For your information:
    Once Palatine managed to re-surface from the avalanche of orders they received, they sent me a gracious email and just as graciously refunded the "deposit" for my cancelled order.

Everybody is happy now. : )

Kate

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Glad to hear your order worked out in the long run Kate, not just in getting the refund and gracious response from Palatine (typical of their communications), but also in getting the rose you wanted. In other communications with Palatine about my order, Rachel made the spontaneous comment that "It has been soooooooo busy for the last few weeks". Just more evidence of what people have speculated, that they've been overwhelmed with orders for a small company. I too had wanted Razzle Dazzle and some others that were sold out, but there were plenty to order (some of which as noted were replacing ones from elsewhere that died from various causes, including the Polar Vortex):

Alpine Sunset
    Barkarole (R)
    Broceliande (R)
    Charles de Gaulle (R)
    Dark Desire
    Elfi von Dassanowsky (R)
    Golden Years
    Helen Naude
    Holsteinperle
    Michelle Wright
    Parfume de Grasse
    Red Intuition (R)
    Rejoice
    Rock 'n' Roll (R)
    Sunstruck (R)
    Sweet Beauty
    Sweet Jane

Just a few, eh?

Cynthia

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Ohhhh--some beauties there, Cynthia! We need pictures next year.

Kate

• mike_in_new_orleans
    9 years ago

Hi buford! I have been avoiding the rose forum for most of this year, as I realized my tiny garden is overcrowded, and I need to make some tough choices and reduce a bit. Plus, we've had a brutally hot summer here in New Orleans, and I saw a return of those nasty microscopic chili thrips, which I didn't realize for several months until my entire rose garden looked a big stunted. The only thing I've found to stop them is either sprays with Spinosad in them or a good solid freeze of a few days or more. We don't get those here every year, but I'm crossing my fingers we will this year. Nasty invasive pest!! Anyway, roaming this forum always induces me to want to try even more roses, which I "SHOULD NOT" be doing. Then Chamblee's had to go and send me a catalog. lol. I am so weak-willed. LIke apparently many others, I had to order Dark Desire. We'll see how it does in this climate. I think I should always wait a couple years on new varieties to see what reviews come in on them, but I always end up getting one or two brand new marketed varieties anyway. Must be the "thrill" of the unknown; some kind of lottery psychology. ; )

One of my favorite roses for smell has been Deep Secret, another Kordes dark red rose, so I really wonder if they share any lineage. I ordered Belinda's Dream along with it, one I had years ago and left when I moved, because I generally don't care for straight-up pink roses--I could kick myself, because it's a terrific carefree workhorse of a rose in this climate. So...I am getting it again.

As for your list, I have PJPII, which is wonderful! Give it a couple years to establish and it will be very productive. Bushy, spreading growth habit, rather than upright. Wiry stems, rather than vertical, straight cutting stems, but still worth it. Wonderful citrus fragrance, and it has been reasonably resistant to the western flower thrips we are plagued with here. Gemini and Double Delight I won't talk about, since you've had them before. Paradise is fantastic! Powerhouse prolific bloomer. The blooms are biggest the first flush after spring pruning, and I figure this is because after that, it puts out so many blooms at once that the energy is spread out. Still, those countless smaller blooms still retain consistently stellar form. Unique coloring, too. Only slightly fragrant to my impaired nose. I've grown it both on Dr. Huey and on its own roots; equally impressive, so I imagine the same for multiflora that Palatine uses. One caution: Like Double Delight, it seems to chemical burn easily, so be sure it is thoroughly watered several hours before any time you spray it, and it should be fine. Rainbow Niagara (aka Tropical Sunset) was new for me this year, which, as I said above, was a brutal summer, and I got it ownroot from Heirloom, so I have to give it a couple more years to mature before final judgment. So far, the bush is little, producing modestly some beautiful blooms. In the heat of summer they have utterly shriveled, but even then, when cut in bud they were lovely in a vase. I'm looking forward to it growing up more.

• buford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi mike! How are things in the Big Easy. I have to get back there. A friend was just at the Heritage Rose Meeting there and the pictures of the sights and food made me want to go right now!

We don't get chili thrips here, thankfully. We regularly get hard frosts so I guess it's not good for them here. I hope that lasts. We do get regular thrips that are bad enough. You have my sympathies.

Funny thing, when I ordered Rainbow Niagara, I knew I wanted an orangey/yellow rose to replace Tropical Sunset, which was one I lost last winter. I didn't even know it was the same rose! I look forward to having it again. It gave it's best blooms in the fall when it would be a deeper color, perfect for fall colors. You will love it.

I found that DD didn't like Daconil at all. It didn't become a great bloomer for me until I started using Bayer Advanced Disease Control. And I really thought my DD was a goner, but it did come back strong this fall. So maybe I'll have two DDs, that is fine with me.!

I am so looking forward to these roses coming this spring. I recently had a lot of work done in my yard and I have all these empty beds. Soon to be filled up! I do hope Dark Desire lives up to it's pictures. Best of luck with your new roses.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I have never ordered any roses online so it seemed like I am in the minority. I prefer to see the plant in person before buying. Not to be a downer or anything but I like the thrill of driving around my favourite garden centers and hunt for that specific rose. Then again, I am fortunate to have quite a few local garden centres around where I live.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer or anything. I am just surprised how many people feel comfortable buying roses online.

• buford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would love to have local nurseries that sold OGRs or exhibition type roses, but they don't. So mail order is my only hope. Unless you consider South Carolina local.....

• Kippy
    9 years ago

JJ I think it really depends on the rose you are looking for when buying a plant in person.

Locally I can get a potted Mutabilis, Cl Cecile Brunner and Lady Banks. Anything else on the OGR, China, Tea, Noisette etc lists would mean a long drive to another state (or visiting a non retail nursery) or hope to find at a couple of garden auctions. It is not a trip to the local nursery to pick the plant I like best.

I can find a bunch of the current offerings from Weeks, David Austin, Star etc so I think it is really more a matter of what type of rose you are looking for. If I was to buy a HT that I wanted on Doc H, that would be fairly easy to purchase locally, even more if all I was looking for was a certain color.

The reason for ordering via the web is that someone is looking for a specific plant with a specific rootstock/ownroot

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I know Kippy, I understand the reason why people do order them online because of availability and I heard great things about Palatine via this forum.

I guess what I am trying to say is, because plants are fragile and I would hate to deal with damaged plants and having to call the company up and try to get a replacement etc.

Maybe one day I will change my mind, if I really see something I want that they have. In general, I like to support businesses that has good practice and customer service. They support our hobby while we support their business. Palatine seemed like such a business so I will keep my eyes on their website.

• john_ca
    9 years ago

I placed an order minutes after they opened the first day they were taking orders. I was able to get:
    1. Crescendo
    2. Chartreuse de Parma
    3. Out of Rosenheim
    4. Lucille Ball
    5. Red Intuition
    6. Buxom Beauty
    7. Ascot
    8. Parfume de Grasse

It was probably a good thing that they ran out of Osiria from all that I have read.

I asked for fall delivery and was informed that they would ship on November 18th and arrive on November 25th. I was sent the UPS tracking number and up until November 24th the delivery date was reported as being November 25th. But that date was changed that afternoon to December 2nd and the location was reported as being Buffalo, NY. The extreme weather conditions apparently delayed the shipment. Happily, I see that my parcel is now in nearby San Pablo, CA. This is our first order from Palantine and are eager to see if the specimens are as wonderful as others have reported.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I had the same delay. Its now showing December 2nd.
    This was my first order with Palatine.

• buford
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad I had my roses delivered in March.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

I received mine (I was weak and made a small order) last Tuesday.