Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deemkelleher

Knockout rose and forsythia?

deemkelleher
10 years ago

Hello.
I need some advice. I have a wall of about five emerald arborvitae. In front of it are forsythia that my husband cuts back annually after blooming (not in a boxy shape or anything, just to keep them from getting big). On the perimeter are what I believe to be Golden Euonymus ground cover (planted by previous owner and not a huge fan). I added peonies in front of the forsythia a while back just because I had no where to put them at the time. Now I plan to move the peonies to my flowering perennial garden for early blooms in the garden. I don't know what to put in front of the forsythia for season-long color. I'm tired of seeing just green when I look at the flower bed in July, August, and September. I have red knockout roses, nandina, balloon flower, and may night salvia, all available to be moved to the space. I just don't know what to put there. Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

deemkelleher,

Please let people know your general location so they can hopefully help you better.... Thanks

• deemkelleher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, silly me. I am in MA, zone 6. Thank you!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

If the wall of flowers is viewed from a distance, then I'd go with Knock Outs --though I'd get the Double Pink Knock Outs instead of the cherry red ones.

If the wall is viewed more up close, then make a perennial bed in front of the forsythia and other stuff making up the wall. The salvia only blooms the first half of summer (purple) and the balloon flowers bloom the second half of the summer (blue). By themselves they won't make much of a show, however. Perhaps plant some yellow yarrow with the purple salvia and some white and pink garden phlox to go with the balloon flowers. That would make more of a show.

I guess you could mix the Knock Outs with the perennials also--though the KOs are going to get much, much larger than the perennials will.

Can't say about the nandina--never have grown it, but my general impression is that it might work there instead of the Knockouts or the perennials, so if that interests you, go for it.

In the meantime, here is some free advice: try to get those peonies settled in a permanent home (and don't plant them too deep or they won't bloom). They resent being transplanted.

Good luck--and give us some pictures when the "wall" blooms!

Kate

• cecily
    10 years ago

Nandina is one of my favorite plants for difficult spaces. It can thrive in low light and very dry soil and its evergreen. Roses need ample water to bloom well - if you can provide plenty of irrigation they will bloom all summer. If you can't water in that area, they will shut down in summer heat. Also, deer don't touch nandina while roses are one of their favorite snacks. So the choice just depends on location.

• deemkelleher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the tips. The space is in full sun. I'm not worried about watering. As for the knockout roses, I was under the impression that they will stay smallish if you prune them.
    In any case, I've uploaded a picture if the space, with the peonies still there. Also with a caution fence where my husband was trying to keep dogs and kids off newly planted grass.
    And, yes, I know that the peonies are going to resent the move, but they will eventually enjoy their new home once it's been made.
    Thanks again for the advice. More comments welcome...
    Thank you.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

If you can grow nandina, then the Knock Outs will be difficult to keep small.

• cecily
    10 years ago

Wow, you have so much space! MG is right on -- Knock Outs that are pruned to the ground in spring here (northern Virginia) are 6x6 in August. I'm counting the tree trunks in your photo thinking that there will be a lot of root competition and I still vote for nandina or nandina plus perennials. Is there another spot in your yard where you could make an island bed for roses?

• deemkelleher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, nandina it is. I can put the roses on the other side of my property. Unfortunately, I put them in a perennial bed thinking they wouldn't get much bigger than three feet. Oh well. What perennials do you suggest with the firepower nandina? I'm thinking of geraniums, coreopsis, and heuchera. Maybe also putting in a climbing vine on one or both the corner trees.
    Thanks so much!