Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joopster

Please help, are any of these climbers?

joopster
10 years ago

My local nursery put all their roses on sales for $5 and I purchase a few. I need to know if any of these are climbers?

Love and Peace
Chicago Peace
Angel Face
Easy Does It
Port Sunlight
Crown Princess Margareta

I believe the last two are. I read that many of David Austin are.

Also, I'm in Chicago and I just learned (after purchasing) that Peace and Rose is suitable for zone 7 and higher. Will this survive if I cover it up?

This post was edited by Joopster on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 12:49

Comments (11)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Many of the larger David Austin roses can be used as climbers in very warm climates where the growing season is long and the roses can get very large. In cooler climates with a shorter growing season the same rose will grow as a bush, which means that these are not true climbers. In zone 5 you can easily keep these to bush size, and it won't hurt to keep them trimmed to a reasonable size once they've become mature.

Ingrid

• joopster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ingrid. I think I'll use a obelisk then.

What about some other ones?

And will Love and Peace survive my cold climate if I cover it up in winter? I read that it's zone 7.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Wow--those are all terrific roses. Buy one of each!

However, if you want a climber, only Crown PRincess Margareta qualifies, although she is what is known as a "short climber."

Seriously, those are all beautiful roses, but the first three will have some blackspot problems--especially Angel Face which can be a blackspot magnet (but still a lovely rose).

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Kate

• joopster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kate. I went crazy and bought all them.... My husband was like "where are we going to plant all these?"

I would like a Davis Austin's that can climb an arch or an arbor in my zone. Any suggestion?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

No. If you want a real climber for zone 5, you need to find out about climbers in zone 5.

Most of the best are going to be Canadian Explorer roses.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

As for winter survival of Love and Peace and other HTs, the zone 7 listing is usually only an estimate and can vary widely among HTs and floribundas. In my zone 5 Nebraska yard, the all of those roses on your list have survived many years except for Angel Face (who is a bit temperamental, being lavender) and Port Sunlight that I don't have (but all my Austins are good winter survivors). Just remember not to protect them till it's good and cold (like highs of 20's), use organic materials that you want in your yard and don't mat down and get wet, and you only have to get a few inches above the graft to survive for the rose itself to survive. Also, don't listen to people who say to prune roses down to 6 inches before winter - there are any number of things wrong with that.

Also, don't take it amiss if these particular plants fail on you this year. In zone 5, it's a bit late to be making new plantings, although with potted roses you are likely to have a healthy and acclimated plant to start with that gives you a good chance. If these don't make it, feel confident about trying these or any other roses with spring planting as an added boost for winter survival.

Have fun - these are great roses!

Cynthia

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Why do you say to not protect them till it gets good and cold? What happens if you start piling on dirt and wrapping canes too soon?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

All sorts of horrible things. Starting with mice, and going through canker, botrytis, and lack of dormancy. It's why covering here is such a problem. It rarely *stays* cold, so all the evils inherent in covering too soon can show up any time (except the mice ... maybe)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

At the link below is a good list of climbers--mostly Austins, but some other types thrown in there also.

I have no idea which ones would grow good in your Zone 5, but David Austin claims that most of his roses are hardy to Zone 5. Whether that means the roots will survive but the canes will freeze back to the soil line (which means it would have to start over every spring--not much climbing can get done in those circumstances), I don't know.

You could look up the names of some of climbers you like at helpmefind.com . It is a wonderful resource and often has all sorts of helpful info. It might indicate how winter-hardy specific climbers are. I see, for instance, that the climber The Pilgrim is hardy to Zone 5: Austin's The Pilgrim. I grow it--it is lovely.

One thing you might keep in mind. Most climbers take anywhere from 3-5 years before they mature enough to put on a really good bloom display. No instantaneous blooming on most climbers.

You might try creating a separate posting with the heading "Good Zone 5 climbers?" or something like that. That may attract more northern growers who probably have some good advice on cold weather climbers.

Good luck searching.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: List of climbers

• joopster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody. These are very helpful tips. I'm thinking many I should grow Port Sunlight on one side of the arch and
    Crown Princess Margareta on the other side. This might work or this might look awkward since the flower size are different.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Have you determined that Port Sunlight is a climber? I thought it was just a shrub, but I've never grown it, so I can't really say much about it from my own experience.

Kate