bugbite
11 years ago

Anyone try these seeds, yet?

Thanks

Comments (20)

• jerijen
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is someone again selling rose seeds on Ebay?

Jeri

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Is someone again selling rose seeds on Ebay?

Jeri

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    11 years ago

Yes, watch out for any rose seeds that don't look like species roses. Google how species roses look compared to hybrids. Hybrids don't come true from seed; only species do.

I have a nana version of multiflora, if anyone ever needs cuttings. It's the kind (I forget the exact name) with willow-looking foliage, which is about what it's good for since it hardly blooms. Still, it is very short and the foliage is cool :)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

The traditional crooks are ALWAYS selling rose seeds on EBay. Blue roses, black roses, multi-colored roses, all the same old fraudulent junk. Buyers be ware! Kim

• jerijen
    11 years ago

IIRC, some of those "rose seeds" have even turned out not to be rose seeds.

If you have no other use for your money -- give it to me!
    :-)

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I don't know about R. Multiflora but I know that seeds from Garden Party will NOT grow you a Garden Party rose. It may or may not look similar but it will not BE Garden Party. And as Jeri said, the "rose" you grow may end up being a radish!

• roseseek
    11 years ago

"the "rose" you grow may end up being a radish!" If you're lucky! LOL! Could be something much worse! Kim

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funny!
    Glad you guys had a good time.
    This is a brand new rose seed from Europe. Google it.
    No, it's not the old "Garden Party".
    I buy my seeds from the best seed wholesaler in the US...Geoseed. This source is for commerical growers.

It is NEW for commerical growers this year from Geoseed. Stop laughing at your jokes long enough to Google it. Geez
    I often get seeds to trial from developers before they come out, so thought perhaps someone in this group may have had the connection to get these seeds early.
    Anyway thanks for typing.
    At least you guys responded.
    Incidentally, this is a 10 inch minature plant. (Nana)
    I will try 200 seeds and hope for a few select, perhaps prime plants I can root cuttings from to propagate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa Mutiflora Nana Perpetua - Garden Party

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Party

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Party

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And from Thompson-Morgan (towards bottom).
    At Geoseed, these seeds can be purchased for a fraction of what Thompson-Morgan is getting .

Here is a link that might be useful: Thompson-Morgan

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

Bugbite,
    It ain't you---it's because so many others have posted here "Crying Wolf" about rose seeds.

I don't think most of the folks here are fluent in whatever language the site at the first link is written in. There are probably a handful....but there's no way to earburn someone here to a thread.

A few key points always raise the suspicions of rose enthusiasts here:
    1) A 'new' rose that goes by the same name as an established rose
    2) Rose seeds for sale on the internet. (Think Jack & the Beanstalk.)
    3) Plant vendors that the majority have never heard of, additionally wary if the site's not in English.
    4) Anything multiflora-related since there's such a concern over RRD here.

Seeds just aren't the preferred method of rearing our "young".

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Bugbite, I'm sure you've seen the ones like these. People have often posted here about whether or not these were real.

Rainbow Rose

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Seeds-Rare-Holland-Rainbow-Rose-Flower-Seed-To-Your-Lover-ITEM-LABEL-Rose9-/271044071965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item3f1b7c521d

Blue and Purple Roses

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-ROSE-SEED-Purple-Blue-Flower-seeds-Great-Gift-For-Your-Lover-Fresh-/221121710040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item337be187d8

Black Roses

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-SEEDS-Black-Rose-Garden-Roses-RARE-Double-Perennial-Flower-Bulk-B3008-/280898020154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item4166d3a33a

And others, just as outrageous and fraudulent, all designed to separate people who don't know from their money. There has been at least one post to these forums of radishes germinating from the "rare rose seeds". It's been a common enough subject here, that when Ebay and rose seeds are mentioned, this is often what springs to peoples' minds. Mine, included.

These types are obviously (to anyone familiar with roses), fraud. The small print does indicate any import and customs issues are the responsibility of the purchaser. Many are from outside the US and would probably be intercepted and destroyed by the USDA, which is always on guard for such illegal entries.

Dwarf, repeat flowering multiflora seed have been distributed for over a century, both in the US and Europe. See the two HMF addresses below for examples.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.25677

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php?searchNmTyp=5&searchNm=multiflora&rid=3521&sbSearch=SEARCH&tab=1&qn=3&qc=54

Even today, you find "Fairy Roses" and "Angel Roses" sold as seed. There have been many polyantha and hybrid multiflora roses discovered which are probably these types of roses, originating from open pollinated, germinated seeds from Fairy Roses. Plate-Bande is an historic example.

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.34956

There have been several roses of this type discovered in California and provided various study names. It's been generally agreed they most likely resulted from this kind of seed.

Ralph Moore even made use of this kind of rose to create his mini-poly, Fair Molly. The "Rosa polyantha 'nana'" he used was from Fairy Rose seed he obtained and raised many decades ago.

So, yes, this type of rose has been sold, traded and raised for over a century, both in the US as well as Europe. It is highly likely many of the unidentified polyantha, mini and hybrid multiflora types circulating won't ever be identified as they resulted from just such seed. I apologize if my earlier response offended you, but as you have seen, there is much fraud on line concerning rose seeds, particularly from outside the US where there are fewer controls and virtually no accountability for it.

But, your type is an established, documented rose type. Seedlings raised from them will very likely resemble many which have been raised by many since the late Nineteenth throughout the Twentieth and early Twenty-First Centuries. Kim

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responces.
    "Seedlings raised from them will very likely resemble many which have been raised by many since the late..."
    You may be right, I'll see. What they are pushing for the commerical grower is that they can actually germinate these easily for commerical production. These are more for the commerical growers who focus on "plants from seed" production. Now they potentially have a rose that can be put in their line-up even if they don't propagate from cuttings (in theory). So that is new; maybe the actual flowers are not. But a dependable, seed-produced, commerical rose is a mind-blower to me.

My hot and intense hobby for 10 years in the 80s was hybridizing roses, so I am in tune to what you all have mentioned.
    The English site is Thompson-Morgan. Incidentally they just posted the "Rosa Mutiflora Nana Perpetua - Garden Party" to their 2013 offerings 3 hours before I posted the link. If it was out earlier I would have posted that one first.
    As an update I just ordered about $200 of seeds (at retail) a few minutes ago. (An annual event for me.)In that order I ordered 300 of these rosa seeds. As scrambled as rose genes are I am hoping for a mutant that might be special or a few really interesting roses.
    I used to gather 1000's of rose seeds to test. But my sources have dryed up. So just to have some source from a sophicated developer (Tezier) is good. Once a person hybidizes roses you can never get it out of you system. To see a brand new rose that has never existed before, that is yours, can make my heart skip a beat.
    Hey if I get consistant roses that is brilliant; IF I get heavy variations I will also be extremely excited. (doesn't take much to make me happy :-) .
    And yes I have seen the ebay fraud. If a person knows anything about rose genetics, you immediately say, "What they are offering is impossible" and move on.
    Regarding the earlier responces to my simple question:
    Sometimes I visit one of these Gardenweb sites and ask a question and the regulars think that it is time to "show" the "new guy" who's boss. I am getting tired of that.
    That does bother me. So now days I just try to ask real simply questions so no one feels they have to stand on a soap box and tell me how much of a loser I am; how smart they are.
    But whatever. Doesn't matter. I stay away from these forums as much as I can for that reason.

Thanks for the followup.
    Bob

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Bugbite -- I don't think anyone was trying to say you were a loser. Most people come here, ask questions, and are grateful for the sharing of knowledge they receive.

I fear you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. But hey -- bless you anyhow.

Jeri

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1. "the "rose" you grow may end up being a radish!" If you're lucky! LOL! Could be something much worse!

2. "If you have no other use for your money -- give it to me!"

The word "loser" was a bad choice. Delete that word; reread the two answers above and substitute the appropriate word.
    :-)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Is there some reason why you are this hostile??? It's not healthy for you, you know. Really, blessings on you.

Jeri

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Actually, yes, some things could be MUCH worse. I'll happily send you seeds of this monstrosity if you wish. I have dug tubers from the ground literally the size of an 8 cylinder automobile engine. It grows 50' and more very rapidly with very little water. The squirrels love the seeds, which they plant everywhere. It takes repeated applications of Round Up, quite a bit more concentrated than label instructions to put a dent in it. So, yes, there ARE worse things than radishes! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Prickly Cucumber

• jerijen
    11 years ago

A really MISERABLE plant -- AFAICS, there's no reason for its existence. It's spreading like wildfire on some neglected property here -- along with several other noxious weeds.

Jeri

• bugbite
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes. I will tell you why I am hostile. In academic environments I have repeatedly seen people that are not sensitive others. They make fun of other people in a low keyed way and don't even realize it. In so doing they make themselves feel better. (They subconsciously feel "That person, group, etc. is at this level; I am here at a higher level".) I have repeatedly had to intervene to diffuse tensions caused by such behavior. So I am hypersensitive to it. I noticed that you did not understand how your answers might have affected a newbie. Fortunately I have been growing roses for 45 years, but what about a new person. His/her question would have been disrespected. Couldn't the response have been more caring, more sensitive.
    I decided not to revisit this post but something happened to me today. I took one of my 3 cats to the vet today.
    I love animals and run an animal forum at my church.
    Another customer at the vet's office had a beautiful weimaraner. He told me he had 3 weimaraners. This one is really sweet. But he has one male who loves to kill things. Then he proceeded to tell how many cats his weinranier killed. Because, as you say I appear to have a "chip" on my shoulder for inconsiderate people; yes, a low tolerance, I held back and simply explained how much of a animal lover I am and how I care very much for cats. He then proceeded to tell me about the last cat kill the dog did. How brutal it was. A big beautiful long haired gray cat shredded.
    I left the vet dazed. I told my spouse that I am tired of inconsiderate people, whether it is from someone on a forum who probably doesn't even see how she/he comes across or the guy at the vet telling me about how his dog brutally kills cats.
    I am tired of it and will let my intolerance (or chip) proudly show.
    I will pray for you that you understand that every question should be respected.
    And, this is for you, I will not revisit this post, so you get the last word, which I am sure will be another "dig". But God will forgive you if you pray about it. And bless you dear. I am sure you are a nice, kind person who just likes to have a little fun.