Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

Does Golden Celebration need support?

KarenPA_6b
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I bought own root GC, Jude the Obscure, and Sharifa Asma roses over the summer. This is my first experience growing English roses and I can sure use some help. Do I need to provide support for these roses? I bought the bush version but I have seen pictures of these roses and they are massive bushes. Some canes with blooms look like they can topple over from the weight. My second question is how much water do they need. I have read that they need lots of water to do well. Does that mean I have to water them everyday? Have anyone successfully grow these roses without spaying for diseases? Thanks.

Comments (21)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have supports on both of my Austins. I suppose if you have the room you could just let them fountain but if space is limited a trellis will direct them up instead of out. My Golden Celebration easily gets 12 feet tall, and no, it's not a climber. As a matter of fact I think I read somewhere that there really is no difference between what they sell as a bush and a climber. They're the same variety. It's just a matter of how you grow them.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Not here.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have Golden Celebration and Jude the Obscure and both are huge. But neither need support in any way. Jude is especially stiff and upright. Mine are grafted on Dr Huey. As far as water needs of these plants, I couldn't give you any estimates for your climate, since I live in a desert. Here is a Golden Celebration photo which was taken in June. This rose is about a two feet taller at present, or seven to eight feet tall and about six feet wide. Diane

• andreark
    10 years ago

I have Carding Mill, Teasing Georgia, and Kosmos. All in very large pots. I understand from the Austin people in Texas, that if I don't want them larger than 5' tall and 3' wide, I can just keep them pruned. That is no problem for me....I get whacker happy sometimes anyway!. I potted them, only 1 month ago and already they are gorgeous.

andrea

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Evidently not. Please note the little trellis buried in the rose.. I do anchor it up when I want her to grow taller, up over the roof

• susan4952
    10 years ago

And I LOVE this rose! Diane, what a difference a zone or two makes.

• shellfleur
    10 years ago

My Golden Celebration is 4 years old and does not need supports. It is definitely an upright grower with the canes shooting straight up in the air. The canes, so far, are not thick like Jude the Obscure, which is a more stout, vase-shaped bush for me. Jude is 6 years old and is nice and shrubby. In contrast, by the end of the summer, my GC has these tall, thinner canes just growing straight up in the air and looks kind of silly. I could see it doing well if trained on a support, but the canes will not flop over w/o support. I prune mine by at least a third every spring. Additionally, in the summer, I cut back some of the canes that are reaching too far up to the sky because this rose grows right off my patio and looks kind of odd with those crazy-tall canes. I'm not recommending that, merely saying that I have done that. I think both GC and Jude do far better with a regular spray schedule, otherwise they blackspot terribly. GC, in particular, is an ugly stick of a rose by midsummer if not sprayed. When sprayed, it is lush with foliage and blooms very regularly. My Jude still seems to look okay when not sprayed but blooms better with spray. Both benefit from lots of water during hot, dry periods but I don't see them needing more water than other roses I grow. I also grow Sharifa Asma, 6 years old, which has a beautiful, intensely scented bloom. It does very nicely when sprayed and watered. Without spray and sufficient water, it almost completely defoliates and ceases to bloom. I love this rose and in my opinion, it's worth having to spray it.

Other Austins to consider that do well here in the Northeast (for me, anyway) are Heritage (8 years old), which blooms in frequent flushes regardless of spray or extra water. Smells great too. Lillian Austin (8 years) also is fairly bulletproof for me, in terms of disease. She has more blowsy blooms, less formal, which have a mild sweet scent. All my Austin's spring flushes are show stopping, particularly as years go by. My Austins do not get as big as some of the pictures I have seen from the California gardeners. I think that the winters keep their size in check.

Good luck and enjoy your roses! Shelley

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Susan, that's a beautiful bouquet, but how do you get it to hang from a ceiling light fixture (just joking). But it really is beautiful. Sorry to be so silly. Diane

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your responses. Those rose photos are just awesome, one of the many reasons that led me to get these roses. Shelley, thanks for the detailed observations of your experience growing these roses. THey are very helpful. I think your growing area is very much similar to my zone. Can't wait to see them when they are established.

• rose1988
    10 years ago

Hello
    I have 'Golden Celebration
    (climber type)

It blooms only once in the spring and not returns:-((((
    Why?
    I need to pruning?

you have the same problem?

• jerijen
    10 years ago

We have grown Golden Celebration for many years. It is a Shrub Rose, which some people train as a climber.

When grown as an arching Shrub, it produces blooms on laterals, all along the arching canes.

In my Southern California area, Golden Celebration blooms as a "cropper." IOW, if you deadhead it as a flush of bloom ends, it will repeat fairly promplty. It will continue to repeat, as many times as you deadhead it.

Failure to deadhead Golden Celebration will result in less repeat, but the rose is fully remontant.

In our conditions, Golden Celebration does not respond well to hard pruning OR hard deadheading, but Your Mileage May Vary.

• rose1988
    10 years ago

thanks

This post was edited by rose1988 on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 15:21

• vasue VA
    10 years ago

Regarding Golden Celebration & water needed - I've found it needs no more nor less than other roses here in central Virginia. But we have a fairly high average yearly precipitation at 50" or so - perhaps similar to your garden? This June & July rainfall was steadier than typical, and all the roses loved it - never seen them bloom so abundantly in July before.

As far as support - agree not necessary - depends on what look & form you're after. Decided to corral mine within a structure when it began to reach far into the arms of its companions - though that was a lovely look on its own, it didn't suit the location of that bed between the front walk & porch. (I like the abundant nearly wild look, but my husband prefers a more cultvated restrainment, so we compromise in that prominent location.)

This is my report from July of this year, and you may want to read the full discussion in the link.

Planted Golden Celebration 4? years ago in the center of a garden bed that spans the front porch. Saw within a year that it wanted to grow tall & left it to its own devices to arch for two years trying to figure out how to support it vertically. Assembled a 2-foot square copper pipe obelisk around it rising 9' from ground level. It's not tied to the supports but simply confined within them, which shapes it into a pillar form with the branches finding their own way within the verticals & spilling out over the cross pieces. Like this tall narrow yet full effect, the structure it bears as a centerpiece & the room given other plants in that bed. If the obelisk were removed today, the rose would easily arch down to a width of 15' & overpower the scale of the planting & its neighbors.

Mine started with lax thin canes but has firmed up well over time so the blossoms' stems face outwards instead of nodding as they did at first. The framework supporting it allows it to arch gently & it has many flowering shoots all along the branches. Just counted 18 along 2' of cane, and many of those are budding their own clusters. I've never pruned it, just deadhead the sprays. No dieback here in central Virginia just east of the Blue Ridge Mountains & no disease despite my lazy no-spray ways. At first the blooms came mostly one to stem, but ever since has put out sprays of at least five. Repeats so rapidly, with so many clusters budding as others are blooming that I'd have to call it continuous from mid-Spring past the first frosts - anywhere from mid-April through to Christmas. Love the scent & the nuance of color. Only in temps in the high 90's does it bloom plain yelllow. In the early flush its first Spring after planting the preceding Summer, some blooms were half bright tangerine & half egg-yolk yellow, as if they had a line drawn down their centers. This rose has never ceased to delight & amaze me. May it do so for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Celebration

KarenPA_6b thanked vasue VA
  • mrsrjv
    7 years ago

Diane mentioned spraying her GC roses, but did not mention with what? Can she let us know what to spray it with. I ordered 2 of these roses for planing this spring.

• mrsrjv
    7 years ago

Sorry, it was shellfleur. What should we spray the Golden Celebration Rose with? Thank you.

• User
    7 years ago

Have both, 6b NJ. Jude stands up just fine, but GC will definitely benefit some support when young. The difference is vigor. GC slows by black spot big time, but not Jude. I have a couple sticks for my GC as it has long, pencil thin canes.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

vasue, thank you so much for sharing your experience about GC with me. I am sorry but for some reason Houzz did not send me the notification so that I missed your post these 3 years. Though this thank you is belated your information is still very much appreciated, helpful and applicable this day. Many thanks for replying and sharing your experience. Karen

• socalnolympia
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would say it semi needs support, if you allow it to really grow out. Or you could just prune it into a smaller bush with shorter canes and then it mostly doesn't.

It seems to behave halfway between a hybrid tea and a rambling climber. The limbs do better with support if allowed to grow long. But part of it is all the big bountiful blooms weighing the stems down.

So I would say it benefits from support, but doesn't absolutely need it, and there are ways of pruning it to make it mostly fine if there is no support.

KarenPA_6b thanked socalnolympia
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

I need to go back and review this old thread, but I want to say my Golden Celebration definitely is upright and needs no support. It's about `12-13 years old, and over 8 feet tall after an earlier pruning. I don't spray GC with anything, and it's one of my favorite roses. GC is just starting to bloom, and I don't have any new pics yet due to awful weather. I do like to weave one smaller cane through our porch railing. Below is a photo from a previous year. Diane

KarenPA_6b thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    4 years ago

Perfect timing as I just bought this one today! I know mine will not get as big as yours, but I have a spot that I think may work. I just need to make sure it will grow at least 4 feet tall to work. From the reports here, it should manage that. I also hope I got one that blooms well too!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County