Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Mini rose bush problem

Suzy11
10 years ago

Hi! I am new to your forum.. I'm usually in the citrus forum. I have this mini rosebush that I have been babing all summer. It almost died twice and was saved. It has been looking great and even has a new bud. This morning I watered it and noticed a very strange leaf. It has what looks like white frosting. What is it? What do you suggest I do? I never have had a Rosebush before and am tring very hard to save it.

Comments (11)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Probably nothing to worry about. It's common for roses to throw the occasional odd leaf. The rest of your foliage looks fine, though there are a few places it appears you may have saw flies, the little green worms which eat the under sides of the leaves. You might inspect all the under sides of the foliage for them before they strip the foliage from the plant and set it back. There are sprays you can use for them, but squishing them between your thumb and forefinger also works well.

If you grow citrus, do you use Spinosad for the Asian Citrus Leaf Miner? If you do, use it on the rose, also, as it controls most of the insects (including saw fly) which attack roses. You have to make sure you get the under sides of the leaves so they eat it, too. Kim

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I agree that the white spot is probably just a harmless birth defect. If more of it occurs on new leaves, it would be a mosaic virus. These are not a big deal. Plant looks good.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you do for a mosaic virus? I have never had leaf miner on my citrus, Thank goodness. I did have a scar though a few weeks ago. Thank you very much for your great information And help.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you do for a mosaic virus? I have never had leaf miner on my citrus, Thank goodness. I did have a scar though a few weeks ago. Thank you very much for your great information And help.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

There is nothing you can do for a mosaic virus. If the plant has it, you either live with the occasional marked foliage or dispose of the plant. Any plants you root from it will have the virus, too, but unless you bud or graft with that plant, it won't spread to others. I'm surprised you have no leaf miner issues with your citrus. The miner is pretty much distributed across the places in the world citrus can grow. You never see anything like this on any of your citrus leaves or fruit? Kim

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can you sprit them off or wipe the leaves like with dust mites? This is a leaf that I thought had miners.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

That looks like tears in the leaves or other physical damage from your photo. You can't wipe or wash off miner damage. The silvery tissue on the leaf surfaces is actually the cuticle, skin. The borers are INSIDE the leaves, eating out the green, leaving only the silvery skins. Kim

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gros so the leaves become silver? Is that what miners look like?
    On roses can worms or what ever I have be washed away?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

The worms can be washed if you are diligent about washing the back sides of every leaf. Rubbing them off with your fingers or using the Spinosad are probably more effective.

The citrus foliage can take on a silver sheen because all that's left is the skin, which is like Saran Wrap. More of what they can look like are these...Kim

{{gwi:326720}}
    {{gwi:326721}}
    {{gwi:326722}}
    {{gwi:326723}}
    {{gwi:326724}}
    {{gwi:326725}}
    Just another of MANY reasons why horticultural movement and import restrictions must be adhered to.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much kim :.)

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You solved my citrus and rose problem