Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

Quo Vadis and others

canadian_rose
9 years ago

Does anyone grow the hybrid tea, Quo Vadis, or has anyone heard anything about this rose? I'm thinking of getting it - but I can't find ANYTHING about it except what Palantine has in their description.

Here are some other roses I've already ordered from Palantine. Any opinions/pictures?
-remember I grow my roses in pots so zone doesn't come into play.
- fragrance is really important to me.

1. Summer Fashion
2. Lucille Ball
3. Dark Desire
4. Yves Piaget
5. The McCartney Rose
6. Broceliande

Thanks everyone!
Carol

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

It is on HMF, but with little details, not even hardiness zones! I was surprised to see that there was another HT with the same name, hybridized in 1959. Why do they do that? Just creates confusion, I think.

Jackie

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jackie - the description is wrong too! It says it's yellow!! ??? So that's why I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Bizarre.
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Carol - Of those named I only have The McCartney Rose, I don't know if I ever posted this picture, but I am more than happy to show it. It is a good rose for me, the bush is vigorous and has been healthy so far and most importantly, the blooms are very fragrant.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooooh!!! I love the color!! I love the screaming hot colors!!!
    And the fragrance sounds awesome!!
    Carol

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Yeah I was curious about it too. But the description is really misleading. Just says "medium yellow." Both the picture on the website and the one on HMF show a deep pink with possible yellow undersides. If that's what it really looks like, they should change the description. I'll be curious to see pics from those who buy it.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I'm curious too. Some brave person will say, "I HAVE to try that rose." :)
    Carol

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Well I was a brave person last year and ordered Quo Vadis because yes, I had to have it. For some reason, it was my only rose from Palatine that didn't fully come out of dormancy and cankered rapidly down the stem. Palatine of course has offered a refund/replacement, so I'll be getting another one this spring, along with new orders. Dark Desire is new this year for all of us, so we're all waiting to see what that one looks like.

For the others, I don't have a picture of Yves Piaget but it bloomed just the other day and the fragrance is OUTSTANDING. I can't usually smell the milder fragrances, but this one lives up to the hype, with big pink blooms the color of the McCartney rose (which I also grow). Lucille Ball hasn't survived my winters 3 times, one of which was in prime real estate, so I'm leery of trying it yet again. I dearly love Broceliande as you can see below, but it died in the polar vortex after several successful years, so I'll definitely be replacing it. No scent that I can recall, but I'm not necessarily reliable in that respect.

Cynthia

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

The only one I have is Summer Fashion and while the blooms are lovely they are scarce and the plant is exceedingly slow growing, disease riddled and wimpy. I hunted and searched three years for this rose based on the gorgeous photos I found on the web but in real life, in my garden, it's a major disappointment.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia
    Oh! Too bad about Quo Vadis! Hopefully it will do better for you next year. I hope it's a great rose. :)
    I'm excited about Yves Piaget!! Can't wait for that fragrance!!

At least I'll have good luck overwintering Lucille Ball since it goes in the garage overwinter. I'll post some pictures next summer so you can see it. Then maybe/maybe not you may want to try it again.

I love the look of your Broceliande EXCEPT I didn't realize that it doesn't have the height I want on the flowers. I don't particularly like when flowers have no shoulders and just sit among the leaves. I get kind of claustrophobic when I sniff the flowers. Hmmmm.....I have to think on this a bit.
    Thanks for your help! :)

Oh Seil! What a disappointment to be so focused on a rose, and then meh? I wonder if I shouldn't order that one. Although - how long have you had it? Maybe it'll get better?

Carol