holly_kline

What are your favorite books on roses?

Holly Kline
9 years ago

And what makes you love that book?

Comments (3)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

#1 - anything written by Graham Stuart Thomas, because he was a poet as well as an artist and a rose expert, and reading his books is what made me want roses.

#2 "Tea Roses, Old Roses for Warm Gardens", because my old garden was full of tea roses when we moved in, and this is the first book written on tea roses for over 100 years, and it is amazing and fantastic.

Jackie

• roseseek
    9 years ago

"Roses", Jack Harkness. Scientist, poet, romantic who "spoke roses". The book gives personal experience with many dozens of varieties and explains why they were milestones in their days.

"Rose Growing Complete", Edward LeGrice, the paperback edition, not the earlier hardback as the later paperback contains so much more information. Includes "150 years of British Seedling Roses" and the history of the Royal National Rose Society.

Both of these authors were fine gentlemen who were highly respected as people, business people, breeders and rose producers. It shows in their writing. Two men whom I would have loved to have met in person. And two breeders whose roses taught me much and brought me much pleasure.

"Roses: From Dreams to Reality", Herb Swim. A very interesting look into the mind of one of America's most successful rose breeders.

"Papa Floribunda: The Gene Boerner Story". Interesting look into the man who created the "modern floribunda", which contains historic information about a number of roses; J&P and personalities surrounding them.

"A Rose Odyssey", Dr. J.H. Nicholas. A "round the world" rose adventure in 1937, just prior to the outbreak of WWII, written by one of the more knowledgeable, experienced and observant rose men of the Century.

"Hennessey on Roses", Roy Hennessey. The author had OPINIONS! He was engaged in open warfare with the ARS. He authored a rose column in the local paper which also ran the ARS rebuttal to each edition. He was a conspiracy theorist on MANY subjects. Ralph Moore's first experience with him was as he was "profanely" throwing Robert Pyle (Conard-Pyle; Star Roses) off his property. Mr. Moore said, "Letters from Roy arrived SMOKING", though he reported Hennessey always treated him well. Much of his "rose theology" may have been appropriate for his time and location, but not for many of ours. But, who could resist a book whose dedication reads (click on the image to enlarge).. to which I would respectfully add, Mrs. Hennessey was a long-suffering saint! Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

"Old Roses" Ethelyn E. Keays . . .

Because it is the most readable story of the exploration and preservation of lost roses, from the original Rose Rescuer.