Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fireballsocal

Rose order from palatine for Southern California.

fireballsocal
9 years ago

I'm going to order a selection of fall bareroot roses from palatine for planting in containers. I live in inland Southern California where it gets good and hot in the summer and winters are fairly mild, generally without a freeze. Are there any roses in this selection you would advise against? Lucille Ball is the only must have and the reason I'm ordering from palatine.

Lucille Ball
Hot Cocoa
Black Lady
Dolly Parton
Rock n Roll striped

I had received the first 3 this spring, planted them and got excited when they started to leaf out finally. I used miracle grow at the first sign of leafing out and killed all 3, learning a major lesson in growing anything. (Edit to add) I should add I'm an inexperienced first time grower of anything. I currently have some home depot purchased potted roses doing well in the ground and some fruit trees also doing well.

This post was edited by Fireballsocal on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 14:53

Comments (8)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

No, they should all perform as expected as long as they are handled and planted properly. What you want to avoid are generally the once flowering, old European Garden Rose types which require a balanced combination of "winter chill hours" and lack of prolonged, high summer heat hours. There are odd micro climates around in which those types perform, but they are the anomalies and not the rule. All you've chosen are modern roses which thrive in our types of climates. I think you'll have fun with them. Enjoy! Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

The only caution I would offer is ... what rootstock are these roses on?

In the U.S., 'Dr. Huey' is most-common, and it tolerates SoCal soils and water well.
    In some places, 'Fortuniana' is used -- and it, too, is great in SoCal soils.

But at least some Canadian growers use Multiflora rootstock. That rootstock does NOT tolerate alkaline conditions very well.

If you live in an area where there are, or have been walnut orchards, and/or Oak Trees, your soil may be in the slightly- acidic range. In some parts of SoCal, though, the soils and water are in the alkaline range.

I had recurrent chlorosis problems here, with roses growing on multiflora rootstock. I think that, now, I have only one rose remaining on Multiflora. Thank God.

Jeri

• fireballsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Roseseek and jerijen. Palatine uses Rosa Multiflora root stock. These will be in large containers (about the size of half whiskey barrels) and use bagged potting soil from the local nursery. Basic rose mix.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yes. But you still have to water them. Do you know what the pH of your water is?

I emphasize this, because if it is alkaline, you are going to have to constantly work to bring the pH down to a level the roses appreciate. For ME, soil sulfur worked best -- YMMV.

In the long haul, the best thing for me was to avoid multiflora. Again, YMMV.

Jeri

• fireballsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My water department tests out at 5-11 mg/L for PH. I have no idea what that means but I'm sure you do Jeri. Think I'll need to do anything? The last 3 roses I ordered on that root stock leafed out well and I'm sure would have done well had I not killed them with the miracle grow early on.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Nope. I really DON'T know what that means. The report on our water, for instance, shows a pH bet. 8.3 & 8.5. Dr. Huey rootstock tolerates this for the most part, where multiflora generally does not.

Roses, by contrast, do best at a pH between 6.0 and 6.5.

What we see here in my conditions, with multiflora rootstock, is not that the roses don't leaf out and grow, but that they don't absorb nutrients well, and are frequently chlorotic.

• fireballsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gotcha. Nothing to do then but plant them and see what happens. I'm pretty careful and can spot problems early on so should be able to handle whatever comes. Fingers crossed they take off like crazy though.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

We found that roses ON multiflora, and roses whose makeup was largely multiflora, struggled with chlorosis here.

It's like saying: "It hurts when I slap myself in the face."

The answer to that problem is to stop slapping yourself in the face.

Just so, we no longer plant roses ON multiflora, or roses that are largely of multiflora breeding. We're happier, and so are the roses we're not torturing. :-)

Jeri

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner