Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_rivers_gw

Plum Perfect and Lavender Veranda

mike_rivers
10 years ago

Chamblee's has these two roses listed among their Kordes roses. Neither rose is listed on Helpmefind and a google search of their names seems to give Chamblee's as the only connection in the world. Are these renamed older varieties or what's the story here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamblee's List of Kordes Roses

Comments (24)

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    10 years ago

Both of these appear to have just been introduced (under these names) in 2013. Chamblee's is probably the one with rights to introduce them in the USA, hence the "available Spring 2014" note. They most likely changed the name from the European introduction (Kordes is German, after all), and these new names just haven't made it to HMF. They might be on HMF already, but under their original names. If you'll notice, there are several "available Sp 2014" Kordes roses in the list. None I checked are on HMF yet, which reinforces my guess that they are new to the USA, at least under those names.

Chamblee's also has a "Cream Veranda", which IS on HMF. I assume that Lavender Veranda would be comparable in size, bloom and (hopefully) vigor, since it's part of a series.

John

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Lavender Veranda has a patent applied for. Plum Perfect has a patent number. They appear to be new varieties which have not been registered with the ARS, hence nothing entered into the HMF database. Information is obtained for the database from the ARS official registration information. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Most current rose registrations per ARS web site

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    10 years ago

Well, that's that, then. They aren't on HMF under ANY name ;)

Good job, Kim. I was too lazy to go check the ARS registration, lol.

John

This post was edited by fig_insanity on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 16:39

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thanks, John. You might try searching for the patent number for Plum Perfect. I ran it twice but never came up with a plant patent. That might give you a breeder's code name (something beginning with KOR for Kordes) under which it might exist on HMF. Hopefully, they'll register the roses so they will appear in the database. Using other sources such as on line catalogs, is undesirable. They appear, change and disappear in a flash, so there is nothing permanent to reference for any information. KIm

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    10 years ago

Kim, check this link. According to the Greenheart Farms page for LV, the breeder designation code is KORfloci67. Using that, I found the patent application # is US PP23,683 P2. The breeder info is there, but like so many Kordes roses, it's "seedling x seeding". So informative, lol.
    John

Here is a link that might be useful: Patent Application Lavender Veranda

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    10 years ago

Oh, and Chamblee's is not the only source of LV, evidently. I found at least three wholesale nursuries who will be supplying liners of LV.

John

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Good detective work, John! So far, that code series only goes up into the '2' series on HMF and they're all 'Veranda' series. The whole industry is changing. Now, there are companies, such as Greenheart, Conard-Pyle and Newflora who are importing roses and other plants to license and even produce liners. That's quite a change from the old status quo, but it appears to be making more foreign material available here than ever before. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Newflora

• mike_rivers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

John and Kim, thanks for all the information.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I took a trip to Tyler today, just to go to Chamblees before all the crowds from the Rose Festival hit and the roses got picked over. Not opportune as far as weather went - got into a monsoon the minute I got into outskirts of Tyler. Rain flooding everything. Wearing my bling flip flops with no umbrella, I thought it prudent to stop at Walmart and get an umbrella and a pair of decent shoes. Rain had stopped the downpour by the time I got to Chamblees - got all the attention as I was the only customer. Mark Chamblee is always delightful!

I came away with a trunkful of roses, Lavender Veranda and Plum Perfect among them. I am not sure if PP is a floribunda, shrub or what. Does anyone know? I was surprised to find neither on HMF. Also got Savannah, Twilight Zone and Blue For You. Some of these are small so will probably grow them out in their pots for awhile - but very healthy, as are all Chamblees roses. In spite of the heavy rain, it was a fun day - disappointed to not be able to see the big municipal rose garden - but that will be a trip for another day.

I saw blooms on all these roses and they look really pretty! Think I will take Kim's advice and disbud them and go for growing roots instead of blooms.

Would enjoy hearing any information about these two....
    Judith

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Judith, you won't find roses on HMF until they are registered with the ARS/IRAR. Web sites and on line catalogs change by the day and aren't suitable for references. Once they are officially registered, they are in print and can provide appropriate reference. Kim

• newroses
    10 years ago

Sorry to be late on making a comment on this but just checking the site now.

Lavender Veranda KORfloci67 is a rose you will not find in the Kordes Germany catalog but has been available in N. America for some years. It is part of the Veranda collection which are compact floribunda roses suitable for patio containers and small gardens. Beautiful high-centered bud and lovely color - no scent. Good on disease. it is available in an increasing number of nurseries.

Plum Perfect KORvodacom is a large floribunda with deep plum colored flowers and very dark green foliage. It likes the heat and humidity of the south but is quite cold hardy. Alas it looks like it should have scent but it does not. I think at this time Chamblee might be one of the few nurseries carrying this rose but hopefully there will be wider distribution soon. This rose was never introduced in Europe so there is not another commercial name.

With regard to not finding the parentage on the patent - often the parents are not commercial cultivars, but if you went back a couple of generations there is probably a commercial rose in the lineage. What the US patent office is asking for is parent identification. This is why you see un-named seedling in the patent documents.

My experience is that HMF is not limited to identifying just the roses registered with ARS but do include all the information they come across on various web sites.

The new introduction for 2014 is Savannah KORvioros PPAF which is a really nice rose and if you bought one this fall then you bought one of the first ones available to the public. It is an HT medium pink probably 120 petal flat cup shape. It has mahogany red stems and very dark green leathery foliage. It is exceptional on disease resistance and loves the hot humid climates. What is really special is the fragrance very strong old rose scent. This is the first introduction of this variety and it is not available anywhere else than N. America and is not sold elsewhere under another name. Chamblee roses is the first company to have it in production.

So Greenheart is a producer of liners for wholesale growers. Ball Seed is a distributer of liners to wholesale growers. Newflora is the representative of Kordes roses in N. America. All of the Kordes roses come through quarantine and are introduced into the market by Newflora. Roses cannot be imported into the USA because of quarantine requirements.

I hope this clears up a few questions.

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Would 'Savannah' be the HT introduced by Ollie Weeks in the early 1980s?

Here is a link that might be useful: Savannah on HMF

• newroses
    10 years ago

No this is not the Savannah introduced by Ollie Weeks in the 1980's. I don't believe that cultivar is in commerce in 2013.

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

I too was frustrated by the lack of information on this rose (and still am).

Persistence led me here which says Plum Perfect is 'Thank You Rose'. That leads to the HMF page linked below. The Chamblees listed Plant Patent # 22691 agrees with the 'Thank You Rose' listing.

I did not find any ADR information - it may still be in the testing phase - or not; I don't know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plum Perfect aka Thank You Rose

• newroses
    10 years ago

Plum Perfect (KORvodacom) was never entered in ADR and probably never will be. It is not an introduction in Europe. Its introduction in the USA is by Newflora and yes at the moment the only place to buy it retail is with Chamblee Roses. It has shown itself to be black spot resistant. It performs extremely well in hot humid climates. It was patented first in the USA not Australia. There are significant mistakes in the information provided in Help Me Find about this rose.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

There are instances where information from web sites has been entered into the HMF database. That is an issue which is addressed and attempts are made to prevent it as there is often no permenance to the reference. If you are in possession of the correct information to replace the mistakes you feel are significant, would you please make them available to HMF so they may be corrected in the database? If you are affiliated with Newflora and would be willing to provide the appropriate information, I'm sure you can see how Newflora could benefit from the "advertising". Please feel free to send the information to roses@HelpMeFind.com. Kim

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Plum Perfect
    Kordes Germany

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Plum Perfect
    the color is divine

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Plum Perfect
    different angle

• Harton
    9 years ago

I found both in HMF on June 1, 2014. Check it out.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I tried writing Lavender Veranda into the HMF data base but nothing came up?

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I just bought 2 more Plum Perfects and another Lavender Veranda. I adore Plum Perfect! Beautiful mauve blooms that don't fade, healthy foliage. This is a wonderful rose!

Lavender Veranda is a beautiful shade of light lilac, lighter than Plum Perfect. It is a small bloom so I am planting mine where they can be viewed at the front of the border.
    Judith

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Has anyone tried either of these roses on the east coast in a wet weather climate? Wondering how disease resistant... Thanks