Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutchessducky

Not sure if paranoid or roses have RRV

DutchessDucky
10 years ago

I'm trying my hand at rose gardening for the first time and I can't help but to wonder if my roses have the Rose Rosette Virus or not.

This summer I planted about $200 of new roses, removed some old, wild roses, and one or two of those godawful knockout roses. There were three roses that I suspect were Mr. Lincoln, Taboo (!!) and Tiffany left over from a previous gardener.

It all started with an old rose left over from previous owners (suspect Mister Lincoln). One day I noticed a curled leaf, and on the underside was a web-like mass. I pulled the leaf, hoping to just get rid of the offending leaf and call it a day.

Two months later, I started seeing strange growth on the same plant. I decided that it was showing too many signs of RRV for my liking and decided to pull the plant, as the cost through my local university extension office for the test is more than the cost of a replacement.

Now, about one month after pulling the first plant, I'm ever-watchful on my remaining plants, and I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is normal, or a sign of RRV. One of the new plants that I planted, Pope John Paul II, is exhibiting some growth that I didn't see earlier in the year. I'm not sure though if this is normal for that cultivar at this time of year, or if it's a sign of something more sinister.

What do you guys think?

Click here for imgur album with more pictures of what I'm talking about (both Mister Lincoln and Pope John Paul)

Comments (4)