Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nastarana

Palatine 2015 rose catalogue

nastarana
9 years ago

arrived in my mailbox this morning!

They are featuring a great many roses from Kordes, although not 'Summer Wine', alas. Most of the Verandas, Vigorosas, and Fairy Tales seem to be available. In HTs, they have 'Osiria'! Also, 'Red Intuition'.

They have 'New Daily Mail', AKA Puzzta, one of the best floribundas in my yard. Don't pass this up! For me it has been completely crown hardy in zone 5, and new canes grow rapidly in spring.

Prices are high, but I had rather pay for as many as I can afford and see them remain in business.

Only one alba--what can they be thinking?--and no English roses at all. After what I learned on this forum about Mr. Austin's business practices, I can hardly blame them for that.

Comments (13)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Mascarana, tell me about your 'New Daily Mail' and any pictures?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Is Pompon Veranda still there? I noticed its missing from the web catalog. Hope it will be available again with the new catalogn

• buford
    9 years ago

Hopefully there is a mistake and it's not 59.95 for one mini-rose.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

I think all roses are $19.95 USâ¦..
    Susan

9 years ago

Hi. Is New Daily Mail crimson/garnet/black/maroon cool red or brick/orange hot red?
    I've been eyeing it!
    Thanks.
    Susan

• bman1920
    9 years ago

Nastarana I looked on the website I don't see any Albas. What alba did you see?

• nastarana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not looked on their website at all.

The paper catalogue I received shows Great Maiden's Blush.

Susan., in my yard Puzzta is crimson/garnet/black/maroon cool red. This rose has everything but fragrance. It is vigorous, clean (for me), with plentiful, well shaped blooms of a striking color.

Rose prices are 19.95 or 20.95 or 21.95.

9 years ago

Thanks Nastarana. I didn't receive a catalogueâ¦
    Appreciate the info.
    Susan

• madri_gw
    9 years ago

The catalogue is available online on their website.
    I ordered several roses from them in spring 2014 for the first time and they are AWESOME, excellent root system and they took off the first year itself and the bushes are larger than my 3 year old rose bushes I have.
    I wish I had know about this place ealier. I am planning to order some for this fall and some for 2015 spring.
    They have some exotic varieties that sell out pretty fast. I am ready with my list as they open for shipping on Sep 8.

• nastarana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Madri, do you plant in fall? How does that work out for you. I ask because I am also in zone 5.

• madri_gw
    9 years ago

Nastarana, I came to know about palatine roses from my rose society. Most of the members from rose society order and plant in fall ( Nov) they say that as soon as it is spring the roses have a head start and start growing, as opposed to planting in spring and waiting for them to establish and thrive.
    My first order was in spring 2014. I planted them in spring and was amazed as to how fast they took off and started blooming. They have excellent root system ( roots are like baby carrots) and that's probably the reason they thrive so well, because they get all the nourishment thorough the roots. This time I want to plant some in fall and compare the spring and fall planting. Also being roses from Canada they should be hardy for our zone 5.
    The important point when we order the roses is to dig the holes and keep them ready. As the root system is huge it took me couple days to dig that size holes. Their web site has very good videos on planting and winterizing. You will not be disappointed if you get roses from them. I plan to order some for fall 2014 and spring 2015 as well. One more thing I liked about palatine roses is that the pictures are exactly the same as the flowers that are blooming on my rose bushes. My favorite is Folklore. Also their customer service is excellent, I was communicating with Rachel who is very helpful and wonderful. Hope this helps.
    Madri.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

There is a yellow climber available from Palatine called "Kordes' Golden Gate." I would like to have a good yellow climber and the pictures are gorgeous. Does anyone know about this particular variety?

• nastarana
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Madri for that very complete explanation. Maybe I will try one or two for fall planting which I know are sure to be hardy. The spinossima 'Falkland' looks interesting. Palatine says it does repeat, HMF says no repeat. Maybe there is an occasional late bloom.

Kentucky Rose, sorry about the delayed reply to your question. I am not currently able to photograph, a matter of learning how to use a new camera--old dogs and new tech, you know. I bought NDM from eurodesert the summer it closed. I concentrated on roses of Matthias Tantau, Jr., those had to be shipped across the country in hot summer. Cliff and his helpers did a marvelous job of packing the roses, but he was shipping out of a local PO, and I rather suspect the personnel there had not counted on having to work very hard over the hot summer. So, some did not survive, but my NDM has survived the trip across country and cold winters here. The "floribunda" which I planted next to it turned out to be the rambler 'Dupontii'--lovely rose which I am happy to have--so NDM was shaded but still bloomed. I moved it last spring to what turned out to be another shaded spot, where it is blooming now despite competition from morning glories and a cobea vine. My plant is grafted, probably onto R. laxa, but I imagine a plant on multiflora would do as well. In my yard, NDM has everything I like in a rose except fragrance. I don't understand why it fell out of commerce in North America.

I have been ordering from Palatine for several years. I am as impressed as you by their excellent plants.