Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
True or False

Posted by jktx55 8a TX (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 15:05

I put down 20 bags of Pine Bark mulch this spring in my Rose garden. Now i have been told that Pine bark mulch is bad for my roses due to the acid in the bark.
Has anybody used Pine bark mulch on their roses and if you did what was the out come?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: True or False

Do you think yours are looking bad, bearing in mind your horrid hot summer? Suspect the advantage of a nice thick mulch may well have offset any change in soil PH. Roses are very tolerant of PH (more or less, there are a few picky ones). It is also harder, I find, to sustain an enhanced acidity than it is to change the PH to more alkaline, at least in the longer term.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 17:09

I've used it before and know of others who do all the time and I can't recall there being any problem with it.

o

It's nonsense. Make a note not to listen to that person.

o

Thank all of you for your quick respone, I will quit worrying about the Pine bark mulch.

o

It's really not the nitrogen loss from the bark that may cause any problems as mulch. I found through some research that some pine needles are allelopathic and inhibit the uptake of nitrogen for other plants. Not all pines.

I turns out the pines that grow in our forest just happen to have the allelopathic pine needles and I have collected the needles and used them to mulch between my propane tank and the garden shed. They have controled the weed infestation in that awful area.

Smiles,
Lyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here