Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Florida - Roses and Mulch

sharon2079
9 years ago

I would like to know which mulch you use on your roses.
I normally use pine bark, but was wondering if anybody else is using something else. My bark does pretty good until it rains heavy, which has been almost all summer, then my bark is over in the neighbor's yard not doing any good.

However, a few years ago I paid a 'professional' landscaper to put in red mulch. To my dismay, it was horrible stuff that was dyed red. I termites in the garden and lost numerous plants, including roses. As well as having to have the the grounds and house treated. I don't want a repeat of that awful experience. So, should I stick with the pine bark, or is there something else to put around the roses that would be beneficial.

I just gave them, their fall compost and would like to mulch. I am not into the mulch for looks. If fact I would use straw if it was readily available, but it is not.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (11)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I generally use the leaves that fall from the trees on my property. After I put them around the roses I hose them down and try to keep them somewhat moist by hand-watering, and that makes the mulch more or less stay in place unless we have some of our famous Santa Ana winds. As the leaves break down they enrich the soil and it doesn't cost me a penny.

Ingrid

• bcroselover
    9 years ago

The most wonderful mulch I use for my roses is to lay out a whole bunch of dried leaves from deciduous trees on my lawn, run the lawnmower over them, and collect the chopped leaves in the bag. The resulting mulch is fine, light, and a nice brown colour. I lasts a long time, and for some reason it's really effective against weeds.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

I use fallen leaves too. However, shredded bark (as opposed to nuggets) or pine needles should stay in place during downpours. Both are nice looking.

• sharon2079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Ingrid and BCroselover on the suggestion of using leaves. The only trees (other than palm trees that has fronds) is a large Banyan tree. I use his leafs in my compost pile and I get really wonderful dirt. Really rich. It reminds me of the mid west farming ground where I grew up. Not the sandy stuff that I get down here.
    I normally mix that compost with some commercial bought dirt, because I never have enough. I wonder if I could put it down without composting? It seems to pack really bad if I don't turn the compost pile.
    Michaelg, I haven't seen shredded pine bark. Where do you normally get it. I normally go to Lowe's or Home Depot, but haven't seen shredded pine bark. Maybe their shredded mulch IS pine bark, but just doesn't say it on the bag. Normally, what I see is red shredded mulch, or cypress mulch. Then of course the pine nuggets, and then ground up tires. I don't want tires.

Thanks for your input

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

During my 30+ years of growing roses in central and S.E. FL., I used oak leaves and a good layer of pine needles on top. The leaves work wonder for the soil and the pine needles keep everything in place and makes a great loose mulch by the end of the summer. Nothing pack's down and NO termites.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Shredded bark is available here by the truckload, not necessarily bagged. I think it is hardwood rather than pine.

Ken, pine needles over hardwood leaves sounds like a good plan.

• sharon2079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there a source to purchase pine needles?
    Pine trees are not readily available in the part of Florida where I live except maybe after Christmas when people through out their Dead Xmas trees.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Sure, you can find baled pine needles at garden stores and farm stores. They are relatively expensive as you need a thick layer in order to exclude all light.. In Florida you can probably find piles of them at the curb sometimes--

• Samuel Adirondack NY 4b5a
    9 years ago

Lowes has Pine needles.
    I agree with pine needles and or leaves. That red wood mulch is made from chopped pallets and other wood they cant throw away. Decomposed material. Wood mulch that isn't properly aged or regularly turned can be harmful to young plants. Fungal contamination can also occur with unseasoned wood mulch.

• saldut
    9 years ago

I get shredded tree mulch from a local tree-service, they bring me truck-loads for FREE...and free is good! It's cheaper for them than paying at the land-fill....and they bring oak or pine, not junk stuff... I have a huge pile in my drive-way right now, waiting to be hauled off to my beds....sally