Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

usps - ot

roseseek
10 years ago

I shipped cuttings to a nursery the other day, and rooted plants to a friend halfway across the US. I have always picked up both regular and Flat Rate Priority boxes from my local post offices. Now, it seems they have a new "game" to play with us. I have now checked with three post offices here in the San Fernando Valley and two in the Santa Clarita Valley and received the same information from all five...ONLY Flat Rate Priority and Express Mail boxes will be stocked at USPS locations. All other types (Regional and non Flat Rate) are "non standard" and must only be ordered on line. It CAN make quite a difference. I recently mailed cuttings in a medium Priority box which weighed significantly less than the Flat Rate minimum due to the packing materials used. Flat Rate for that box would have been $12.35. I paid $5.60 to mail it.

A large Priority box I just sent could have gone for $12 and change, instead of the $16.85 I had to pay for Flat Rate due to that being the only box available. The medium box weight would have required $8.74 postage, instead of the $12.35 it cost for Flat Rate. Yes, I know I could have used any box instead of their free ones, but I didn't have any other boxes and these have traditionally been available free of charge at the Post Office.

So, if you ship cuttings, etc., be forewarned not to expect them to make cost efficient shipping possible for walk-in business. I understand their perspective for wanting to only charge the higher Flat Rate amounts. They also sell other boxes at the Post Office, which increase the cost closer to the Flat Rate amounts when the box costs are added. I do find it rather cheesy going about it the way they have. Kim

Comments (4)