Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Michaelg or anybody that grows Carefree Sunshine rose...

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you Carefree Sunshine rose growers ever had trouble with the leaves on the bush being sensitive to certain sprays?

While spraying a large rose bush with Monterey Garden Insect Spray with SPINOSAD I got overspray on both of our 2 month old Carefree Sunshine roses and I didn't notice...
Both Carefree Sunshine bushes had spots and blotches all over a lot of there leaves the next day...
The roses were well watered and I sprayed after the sun went down and the temp was around 77 degrees...

Next day temp got to 80 degrees....

I have never had this happen to a rose before. I have got overspray on other smaller roses before with no problems...

SO anybody else notice there Carefree Sunshine rose leaves being sensitive to certain sprays??? Thanks

{{gwi:307935}}

Comments (15)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

That is a very odd response, Jim. What had been run through that sprayer prior to this load of Spinosad? I've used it frequently in a much hotter, more intense sun and aridity climate without any plants responding negatively to it. I don't grow that rose, so I can't offer any experience with the particular variety, but the product is one I have used for a number of years on roses, other landscape shrubbery and citrus. It will be interesting determining if the foliage of this rose is particularly sensitive to various chemicals. Kim

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Only Spinosad has been in that new sprayer Kim...
    I sprayed all our other roses the other night and none of them had a problems.
    These received only the overspray from when the wind kicked up a few times...
    Remember those two small double knockouts that lost all there leaves in shipment this past mid July...
    Well they received overspray also with no problem...

So that's why I was figuring that since both Carefree Sunshine got the same damage was they must be sensitive or something...

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jim. They may well could be. There is nothing saying it isn't possible. I was attempting to help rule out any other possibilities. Carefree Sunshine may be like Rugosas in that they have very durable foliage which resents anything other than water on them. It does have a touch of Rugosa in it, through the three doses of Playboy behind it, but those are well diluted and far back. Thanks. Kim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Also Kim i'm near the end of that bottle of Spinosad so I've used almost an entire bottle without problems over a 2 year period...

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Does it seem to still be effective after that long on the shelf, Jim? I ondered about its effectiveness after long periods of time, but I go through it quickly here because of spraying ten foot citrus trees twice a month. I don't think it is as likely due to old or contaminated product since none of the other roses are "complaining", unless, again, Carefree Sunshine is just more "sensitive". Kim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes it still effective after two years...
    Now it does not kill the eggs here but will kill small and larger larvae.

I just sprayed about 2-3 weeks ago as I had a ton of larger larvae.

I inspected the rose leaves the other day and I seen small rose slugs munching but no larger ones...

You see I started out the year using safers insecticide soap (used it in my other sprayer) but discovered later in the season it wasn't working very well for whatever reason.

So I started using the Spinosad again and that took care of the larvae but eggs still hatching...lol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Also I bought the safers insecticide soap and Spinosad at the same time.
    Maybe shelf-life of the safers insecticide soap was why it wasn't working this year? I don't know....Will have to look into that...

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

I've had Carefree Sunshine for about 10 years. I usually don't spray it with fungicides but it does get some overspray from HT's next to it that are sprayed. It does get insect spray because I'm in a Japanese beetle infested area & I've used at least 3 different kinds of insecticide on it. I've never seen it react to anything that I've sprayed it with.

Original Author
    10 years ago

wirosarian,

Hopefully our two Carefree Sunshines outgrow the problem then...
    I'll spot test them when they mature more...

Thanks wirosarian

• andreark
    10 years ago

I put something on this forum a while back about using Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew (with spinosad). Several of my roses reacted negatively to it, but Pristine was the worst. Both leaves and canes were left with ugly spots that are still obvious many months later. And it was about a year old at the time.

Sorry, I don't have any Carefree Sunshines so I have no experience there. I just know that if I have a problem again, I will not use spinosad products.

andrea

Original Author
    10 years ago

andreark,

Some roses are just sensitive to certain sprays andreark ...
    Actually a person should SPOT TEST before applying anything to the entire bush.

And be careful of over spray...lol

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I don't spray mine, but it gets overspray of Bayer tebuconazole with no problem. I haven't used spinosad on it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! Appreciate it! I'm hoping Carefree Sunshine is very disease resistant here as I don't spray fungicides...

• michaelg
    10 years ago

It is reported blackspot resistant in lots of places. Mine gets a touch of cercospora but not bad. It has excellent shrub habit, foliage, and fast repeat, nearly continuous.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Great to hear Michaelg!

Even though this one is young I've already noticed it has fast repeat.
    Heirloom Roses band planted Mid July. They bloomed 2 1/2 weeks after planting and have been repeating quickly ever since.