Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zjw727

Harkness Rose "Well Being"

zjw727
10 years ago

I can't remember if I posted about this rose before... I saw it growing at Heirloom Roses in June (which is when I took the attached picture), and was really charmed by the lovely, strongly scented flowers and gorgeous buds. As you can see in the picture, the buds are scarlet, and open to reveal lovely cupped yellow flowers, tinged with pink/orange, with slightly fimbriated petals. Those colors, esp. in combination, are out of my normal color-range, but WTH- who am I to say no to a rose? I purchased a band from Heirloom, and it has REALLY taken off...it has more doubled in size since early July, and has put out several fat buds.

It seems like it isn't widely available...does anyone here grow it? I'm ALWAYS interested to hear anything anyone might have to say.

Zachary.

Comments (18)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

That is stunning and the buds really set the bloom off. Sadly, I don't have Well Being, so I can't help you, but I wouldn't mind growing this lovely rose. Diane

• Terry Crawford
    10 years ago

I have two of them here in Zone 5, and they've proven to be stellar. They are always loaded with huge blooms, pretty healthy foliage even if I miss spraying for BS (which I've been lax about because of the heat wave lately), and are cane hardy without winter protection.

The best bloom color comes in the Fall with temps area cooler....the burgundy comes out in the edges of the blossom. Absolutely breathtaking!

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Wow...That is a beautiful rose...I want it!! Lesley

• zjw727
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terryjean, do you grow yours on their own roots or are they grafted? How did you acquire it?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I've been growing Well Being for about 5-6 years. It is beautiful and disease-resistant. Here is a pic, showing the blooms at several different stages -- more reddish flushes on the new blooms.

Well-Being
    {{gwi:312793}}

This pic is more like the earlier poster's pic: full bloom surrounded by reddish buds.
    {{gwi:327731}}

Unfortunately, Well being is kinda back in a corner where it sometimes gets ignored and therefore not watered as much as it should be--so it quits blooming. But all it seems to take to get it blooming again is a good watering (and my profuse apologies, perhaps).

I no longer remember if it was grafted or own root--nor where I bought it. Sorry. Some poster on this forum posted a gorgeous pic of it accompanied by blue delphiniums--I fell in love with it at first sight--even though I can't grow delphiniums. It does look nice across the path from Austin's Shakespeare2000, however.

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

More gorgeous pics--how can you ignore this lovely rose, Kate? Your pics are beautiful, and now I've got to get this rose. Diane

• zjw727
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you want to order it from Heirloom Roses, call them and ask. It's listed as "out of stock" on their website, but when I ordered mine, I called them to ask and they had 17 that were actually available, with more scheduled to be available in the fall.

I'm excited for my buds to start blooming!

Kate, thanks for the info and lovely pics!!!

Zachary

• vickysgarden
    7 years ago

I see one person is growing Well Being in zone 5....how does it come through the winter for you?

• Alana8aSC
    7 years ago

Longagoroses sells this rose, but in my opinion it should be a pot pet or grafted. Mine has not done much ownroot in the ground, but that is me, I am certain.

• vickysgarden
    7 years ago

Terryjean, since you are in zone 5,.....or anyone else in a similar zone, how well does this rose survive winter? I am also in zone 5, and am concerned about the zone 6 estimate.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

It has been a long time since I've grown Well Being. One of many that I had to give up when I went no spray. It always came thru winter fine but did have to grow from the ground up again. It sure had beautiful flowers.

• vickysgarden
    7 years ago

My garden is no-spray, too....does that mean Well Being is prone to disease?

• vickysgarden
    7 years ago

I came across this thread while searching for information on this beautiful rose....am just wondering about whether it is likely to survive my zone 5 winters? It is rated zone 6 but I know that is just an estimate.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about the zone 6 rating. That is the default number that many places like helpmefind.com use when they don't have more definitive information on cold hardiness. Listen to Patty W. in zone 5 (Illinois)--it may die to the ground, but will readily grow back again. Any number of my hybrid teas have to be pruned to a few inches from the ground early each spring--due to winter damage. They just start putting out new healthy growth and in another month or so look absolutely healthy and ready to bloom. They just don't get as tall as some roses in warmer zones that suffer no winter problems--but I never wanted an 8 ft hybrid tea anyway and am perfectly happy with 3-4 ft tall hybrid teas.

I say, go for it--and let us know how it works.

Kate

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

I agree with Dublinbay, about it being zoned by default & growth size based on winter dieback, etc. I also wanted to add that when looking into this rose, there are other threads on this forum by people with this rose in zone 5.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

Vickysgarden - Well Being does just fine for me in zone 5, though it's not a tremendously frequent bloomer. It has nice deep colors even in heat though. Few of my roses are cane hardy (meaning the branches survive the winter) but this one grows back fine from dying to the ground over the winters.

Cynthia

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

Bummer. I just lost mine after I dug it out of a shady fence area to put it in more sun. Plus we put the chicken run along that fence so it had to go no matter what. It had just given me its first bloom in yrs too. I was so upset. Was just too hot when I transplanted it.