Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

RRV Growth?

joshtx
10 years ago

My Pat Austin put out the oddest, ugliest looking growth I have ever seen on a rose. I don't believe it is RRV, because it lacks the extreme thorniness, but I can't help but wonder.

Comments (13)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I have only ever seen RRD/RRV in photos, Josh, (Thank heavens!) but that is definitely one strange looking rose, no matter what the variety. I, too, would greatly suspect it. If that appeared in my garden, I would probably trash can it. It does sort of look like the "witch's broom" type growth, IMHO. Hopefully the plant wasn't all that expensive. Kim

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

That's RRD, says the voice of experience here in Kansas! Definitely RRD. Search out and destroy! Even the roots.

Sorry--I feel so bad every time I have to deal with RRD. Have had it 4 times in 4 years in my garden. : (

Kate

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

Has there been any exposure to herbicides? See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My rose rosette virus information

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic 1

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Photo #2

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And #3

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mr. Kuska,

No herbicides have been used at my house since the roses have been here.

Josh

• Kippy
    10 years ago

What I have noticed in my bosses roses that get over spray by round up rather regularly, is it causes odd growth. But not EXTRA growth. Skinny small canes, no buds/blooms and thin-narrow-oddly spaced leaves. Not extra canes coming from pruning cuts or short buds/blooms.

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

At low doses Round Up stimutates growth (hormesis), see for example:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18293284

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

Just a check I hope your no herbicide answer includes no weed and feed type lawn treatment by you and your nearest neighbors. The video below reported that of the six suspected samples sent to them for PCR testing none tested positive for the actual virus.

If the pictures were of one cane, I recommend cutting off the cane at ground level immediately

Here is a link that might be useful: Mike Dobres video

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Has RRD been confirmed in the DFW area? If not, I would take the whole cane to the ground and bag it and hope Ann TN will chime in on the likelihood. It is either RRD or herbicide.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Collin County Agrilife extension has confirmed cases of RRD.

The plant is potted on the porch, so I am unsure what has caused this but I did cut the cane off the plant.

Josh

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

RRD/RRV has been in and around the DFW area for over a decade.

Generally RRD hits one cane first. It looks as if your rose got visited by a single vagrant mite. Unless there's a source of the vector mites not all that far away....but it's not on other roses, so that argues for the lack of a local vector source.

Also the heat of a Great Plains summer seems to have suppressed the vector mites up in Iowa in published papers; I wouldn't expect Dallas to have cooler temps until later this month (and the mite population surges that go with the non=100F temps). But, again, a single mite can come from anywhere upwind.

Those photos are some of the worst multiple axillary breaks I've ever seen. And the buds are not forming in an orderly fashion.

One other pestilence to check out: chili thrips.

I think you may have saved it by cutting the support cane as low on the plant as possible. Watch where you cut it for odd replacement growth (which would show up in a couple of weeks in the weather you're having now.)