Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachaellemmon

What is her name?

RachaelLemmon
11 years ago

Hi there everyone . There is the most beautiful rose growing in my garden, it was already here when I bought the house. It looks yellow with red tips as a bud , but the more it opens, it pales to a creme with pink tips. I thought maybe it was Love and Peace but I really am not sure. any help would be great!

Comments (32)

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Another photo

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and lastly

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last one

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Strong, slightly harsh fragrance? 'Double Delight'.

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

light fruity smell. You really have to stick your nose in there :)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

'Secret'????

Jeri

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I'm sure it is not Double Delight, and I doubt it is Love and Peace.

Here is what my Love & Peace looks like, at its best:
    {{gwi:328024}}

Of course, it does change its appearance a lot and sometimes that pinkish-red color "blushes" over a good portion of the flower. Happens sometimes with Double Delight too, but here is a pic of Double Delight at its most distinctive coloring:

{{gwi:297471}}

Does yours ever show the distinctive colorings of either of those?

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

It could be any number of different roses and without seeing pictures of the buds and fresher blooms there isn't much chance of IDing it. And even with more pictures of the bloom stages it could still be a difficult job.

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Definitely not double delight , does look like love and peace in earlier stages. The flowers are huge on this rose. They are distinctly yellow center /red tips at first. When they have completely opened the yellow fades to creme and red to pale pink. I guess I'll never really know :-)

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And also the leaves are quite large. If they're were a bud just opening with a blossom in full bloom , you would swear they weren't the same rose....that's how striking the color change is.

• landlady
    11 years ago

Possibly Circus?

Here is a link that might be useful: more Circus pix at HMF

• rosetom
    11 years ago

Hard to tell - that bloom is way past its prime.

As for the first two suggestions, unfortunately, I've never seen DD pinken like that. Love & Peace has way too much yellow and many more petals. Plus, that bush does not look like Love & Peace. L&P has a Peace-style appearance: shiny, puckered leaves.

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Circus is the closest ive seen yet. The color transformation from bud to full bloom on this rose is unmatched... ive never seen one like it. No matter what it is I do love it. It repeats so well through late summer. And grows non stop. I just wanted to learn more about it. Thanks to all for the help.

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ill take another as it opens. But you can see here the yellow and red ... and it will remain that color until the bloom starts to fade.

• mrskjun
    11 years ago

My Rio Samba fades to that color.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• landlady
    11 years ago

Here's the only other picture I could locate of my Circus....just in case it helps. It was taken at the same time. If I get a chance I will see if I can get some other pictures in the next day or so.

• Kathleen_Z
    11 years ago

My "Double delight" actually looks very much like your first couple pictures. And sometimes the flowers didn't have the strong fragrance.

Since it doesn't look like the pictures in most rose books , which are very similar to Dublinbay's piture, I did check out our local nursery (A fancy nursery sells "double delight" and DA for $39.99!). After comparing its leaves, prickles and flowers, it IS "double delight". :-)

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kathleen. I tried to get another picture but as you can see it has been slow to open. In the 60 degree area during the day and barely 40 at night ....its slowing down a bit .

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally opened up , its been so cold here at night that things have really slowed down

• landlady
    11 years ago

She's gorgeous, but I doubt now that she is Circus. She's a bit too ruffly and her colors are a bit too saturated. Good luck naming her.

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

RIO SAMBA

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

I agree with 'Rio Samba'. Interestingly, from all of the pics on HMF it is obvious that this rose goes through all of the color changes of Mutabilis, and also Rainbow's End. Starts out yellow with orange red edges, then orange, then "fades" to red, then eventually ends up white with red edges. I presume this is some sort of color scheme from the chinas, as Mutabilis does it?

Jackie

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After a bit of searching and many many photos later ...I feel confident that it IS Rio Samba . Thanks so much to everyone for the help ! So sad that the season is coming to a close ...I do enjoy this rose so much.

• merlcat
    11 years ago

I'm glad you identified her. This is my only tree rose and I really do like her.

Just cause I took some pictures of her today... here is my Rio Samba Tree rose this fall, showing several different colors.

She only bloomed for me a couple times last year and then I was a little afraid she didn't make it thru the winter. I think I waited too long to uncover her, and she never really did do much from one side of the graft. I have never had a tree rose and winterizing her was sort of a learning experience.

Overall she actually bloomed her head off this year, way more than I expected her to, and still has several buds to go.

Not the most balanced tree rose, but this is only her second year with me and I am a little more confident that she will do even better next year, hopefully!

I am pretty happy she did as well as she did this year, a bit lopsided or not!

:)

{{gwi:328028}}

{{gwi:328029}}

{{gwi:328030}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Congrats on the ID, Rachel! It's a lovely rose!

Mercat, don't beat yourself up about your lopsided tree rose. It looks lovely! My Baby Blanket tree is the same way and a previous one I had (Picotee) did the same thing too. One side of BB has grown and bloomed well while the other side has slowly just dwindled down to a couple of spindly canes. Picotee finally just died one winter. I think it's the nature of the beast and may have something to do with how they're grafted in the first place. And probably being in a cold climate hasn't helped either.

Is yours potted or planted? How did you end up winterizing yours? Mine is potted and is the only rose that gets wintered in the shed (space constraints) because of the high up graft on it. I stuff the canes with newspaper and then wrap the whole thing, pot and all, with burlap and roll it into the shed. It's made it through 4 winters now.

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I too have taken on a standard (tree rose) this year . And had wondered what I would do to winter it . My garage and basement are heated. Its a double knockout. I thought about trying to use chicken wire and leaves with some burlap and leave it in the ground.....but maybe I better dig it up and find somewhere to put it ...I'd hate to lose it .

• merlcat
    11 years ago

My Rio Samba Tree rose is potted.

We don't have a shed or garage, but the house does have a big wrap around porch . Not exactly warm, but I figured if I wrapped it up and placed it on the porch against the house it would be sheltered (we had a very mild winter, BTW)

We took a bunch of burlap rice sacks that my SO saved from work (he is a chef). The kind you see rice in at places like Costco. We cut them open, bundled/wadded them on and around the pot, and wrapping in a few layers of this.

We did the same with the top portion. I stuffed the burlap in bunches around the canes, wrapped w/ burlap and then placed an uncut bag over the whole lot at the top, and secured with a loose zip tie a little way down under the top graft.

What we did do that was a bit non-conventional was the way we handled the trunk of the tree rose. I used a piece of pipe foam from a big box store to insulate the shaft of the tree. It is the black/gray stuff that is sold to insulate pipes and you can get it in different dimensions and thicknesses. It is slit down one side so you can open it up and slide it right over the pipe. I'd have to go and check what dimension we used, but it comes in several different thicknesses and diameters. We cut to size, fit it around the trunk and closed her up w/ one or two lightweight zip ties.

The bottom of the foam was against the dirt, pretty well tucked in and sealed up by the bottom burlap, and the top was tucked into the burlap we wrapped round the top canes.

The insulation looks like this:
    {{gwi:328031}}

I hadn't read about anyone having done it, but it seemed to work and I think I will do it again. We saved the insulation and all you have to do is slip it back on.

It seemed to work great. The reason I thought I lost her is that although I did water her, I don't think I watered enough. When I unwrapped her, the top was already growing and it looked like one ore two sprigs had actually died back, either from still being covered or lack of water. Maybe both.

There seem to be two grafts at the top. One side is now almost gone. I did prune it back hoping to spawn a new cane but I was reluctant to be too heavy handed when there was still a bit of growth from that side. I waited for signs of more and then felt like I missed the opportunity to prune back so I just left it.

The other side grew quite well, though!

We had a couple really really harsh winters before last year, so I am hoping that if I leave her on the porch she will be okay again if I wrap her like I described.

The only other option is the basement, but with 5 apartments and a huge boiler for heat, and 6 water heaters I thought that it may be too dry down there to support her all winter, even with watering, which would be hard. I am forgetful.

So… that is what I did to winterize her. It was a learning curve, and I think I would do it all the same, just not be as afraid to open her up a bit earlier this coming spring.

I realize that in a very wet climate it may be too moist to use the pipe foam as it may hold too much water, but I can't really comment as it is just speculation. I have no idea if the foam really retains that much moisture. If it did i imagine there could be fungal issues. But, since it remained dry on my porch it worked rather well.

I think it could be possible to use this pipe foam method for winterizing long canes on climbers, thick ones and bundled smaller ones. It can be cut to any length, is relatively inexpensive. Has anyone ever done this? I'm not sure how I came up with it, other than just having used that foam in the past for non-pipe-insulating purposes and remembering that it was good stuff! I don't think I read of anyone doing it on here, but I could be wrong. Has anyone tried this before?

Here is a link that might be useful: Frost King Foam Insulation For 1

• merlcat
    11 years ago

Actually, now that I have posted this, I am pretty sure I slipped two pieces of the foam insulation round the trunk.

One on one side that covered the whole diameter of the trunk, and another facing the opposite way covering the seam of the first piece. That piece didn't go all the way around, but almost met on the other side. then, the zip ties. So, it was actually two layers of the foam pipe insulation.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Rachel, I have a friend that bought a Knock Out tree rose this spring too. The nurseryman assured him it would be hardy in the ground but I'm doubtful. I would pot it up and find some way to protect it for winter.

That foam is a clever idea, Mercat! Although the top graft is the most tender area that needs protection keeping the trunk protected certainly will help. Thanks!

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

With all the raves here for RIo Samba I am thinking of getting it for my mom. Is this rose fragrant? I see it listed as moderate, slight and none.
    She loves the bi color roses-- but loves them fragrant.

• merlcat
    11 years ago

Yes, mine is fragrant. It is potted by my door and when she is blooming I can smell her perfume when I walk by. I do very much like her colors. I can't say how fragrant as compared to other roses. I don't have as many roses to compare to as some of the other people on the forum, but I love her scent.

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine is a very fruity smell. I love it....for fragrance though, I love Royal Amethyst.