Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steelskies_gw

Favorite Easy Elegance Rose

steelskies
13 years ago

I have a number of these, different kinds. Are they as easy to take care of as it says on their tags. I see some with blackspot. Do they really bloom non-stop. What are your favorites?

Comments (27)

• Cindy Ehrenreich
    13 years ago

Macy's Pride is my favorite. It does bloom non-stop. Sweet Fragrance is another good one as well as Super Hero. They might blackspot in really bad conditions, but usually the foliage is nice & clean.

• jacquierz5bmi
    13 years ago

I have had 6 Yellow Submarine for 4 years and a Kiss Me that was planted just this summer. Love them. While I do get some blackspot on some of my roses (the worst are the Canadian ones Winnipeg Parks and Hope For Humanity) these never get any. I water them if we don't get rain just as I do all my roses, prune them back in spring, give them a little Rosetone in spring and that is all the pampering they get. They grow disease free and beautiful.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    13 years ago

I have the following EE Roses:

Kashmir
    High Voltage
    Funny Face
    Como Park
    Snow Drift
    Centennial
    Sweet Fragrance
    Tahitian Moon

Have not had any black spot with them but at touch of powdery mildew with all the rain this year. Funny Face & Snowdrift seem to be the hardiest & Tahitian Moon the least hardy. Kashmir, Funny Face & Centennial are my 3 favorites, Sweet Fragrance my least favorite, just doesn't seem to be that vigorous or floriferous but may be its location. Como Park & High Voltage new this year so not much to report yet.

Here is a pic of my Tahitian Moon. I don't take it off the trellis, just put two 5 gal. pails of mulch over the crown. It dies back to the crown but grows to a little better than 3' tall for 1st bloom & then grows to about 6-7' tall for 2nd blooming.

{{gwi:328411}}

• nhmom2four
    13 years ago

Macy's Pride. It is beautiful and has been constantly in bloom. We had a miserably hot and humid summer but this rose hasn't had any black spot- just a small bit of powdery mildew.

• msrose
    13 years ago

Gosh, I've never even heard of these. Does the "easy elegance" mean that they're no care roses as in healthy?

Laurie

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    13 years ago

Disease resistance is one of the characteristics that is looked for in creating the EE rose series. The EE roses may be hard for you to find in TX as they are only sold thru nurseries that do business with Bailey's & Bailey's is primarily a northern plant wholesaler. The EE hybridizer is Ping Lim & I've heard he is no longer directly connected with Bailey's. The link below is to Lim's website & if you click on the homepage link, there is some info on ordering roses directly from him ( I think ????---its not real clear---has anyone tried ordering directly from him?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ping Lim link

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    13 years ago

I have Sunrise Sunset which is completely disease free without spray, had pretty good cane retention over winter and has been covered in bloom non-stop since May. I like the individual bloom appearance much more than say a Knock Out. But just like Buck roses, all EE roses are not created equal. I have Sweet Fragrance and like Wirosarian, I have found it to be far less than a stellar performer. If I could be sure of more EE's like Sunrise Sunset, I would definitely add them to my garden.

• professorroush
    13 years ago

I have three (High Voltage, SuperHero, and Sweet Fragrance). I believe High Voltage is the best performer/repeat bloom, while Sweet Fragrance is my favorite for color and form.

I didn't spray any of the three this year; no blackspot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings Blog

• york_rose
    13 years ago

nhmom2four, if these roses are only available in the Upper Midwest, how did you get ahold of Macy's Pride?

• karenforroses
    13 years ago

Macy's Pride is my favorite - a great almost-always-in-bloom beauty. Quite disease resistant, although it does get some black spot. Yellow Submarine is my second favorite - very hardy and blackspot FREE! for me. I also have Grandma's Blessing and Paint the Town - both got some blackspot this summer (a heavy blackspot summer here and I didn't spray much because we had so many baby birds hatching around the garden). Grandma's Blessing has lovely big blooms.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    13 years ago

Type in your zip code in link below to see if any retail nursery in your area handles Bailey's line

Here is a link that might be useful: Bailey's

• york_rose
    13 years ago

COOL! As it turns out there are a decent number, including Weston Nurseries, which is a big one (& very famous for its breeding of azaleas & rhododendrons - they were the breeders of the now ubiquitous "PJM" rhodendron)!

Thank you!

• Cindy Ehrenreich
    13 years ago

York Rose- what part of the MA coast are you from. On Cape Cod, Snow's in Orleans had a really good selection of Bailey's last season. A lot of smaller nurseries get their supply from Pride's Corner in CT rather than directly from Bailey's so they might not be listed on the Bailey's site.

• nhmom2four
    12 years ago

York Rose,
    Sorry I didn't see your question for me. Wentworth Greenhouse in Rollinsford, NH carries Easy Elegance roses. Macy's Pride looks fantastic this year- huge and covered with buds. I also have Little Mischief and it has been a good performer but Macy's Pride is a showstopper in my garden. Maybe the Easy Elegance retailer locater could help you out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Elegance Locate Retailer

• sandandsun
    11 years ago

I'm not competitive so it stands to reason that I don't like competition. Even so, at the risk of future selections I want being sold out due to competition, I think I should share my discovery which is Gertens. (www.gertens.com)
    If you want to try the Easy Elegance and other northern hardy types (excluding Bucks), you - like me have had difficulty finding them, and you are experienced with or not leary of bare roots or mail order, then they are a source for some of them. I don't want to include the link in case they move the page, but the list of availables is found from the homepage under the paragraph about bare roots. It was a couple of clicks to get to the roses if I remember rightly.
    I usually avoid online ordering when possible and they will take phone orders. Suzanne is as delightful as Catherine at Chamblee's. And they have something in common - I like both their voices.
    I cannot rate the product - not received because I need a late delivery, but the customer service is top notch. Oh I almost forgot, although bare root they are own root!

• sandandsun
    11 years ago

Update:
    I received the roses as scheduled. I had diligently researched bare root on this site and found many recommendations for putting them in soak them upon arrival. One person said that although overnight soaking was traditional one order had gone a whole weekend in soak with no problems. Mine went four nights in soak - also with no problems. I followed the enclosed advise not to improve the planting hole. In zone 4, it really makes sense. One wants the roses to be adjusted to the environment entirely for survival purposes.
    The plants I received must be at least two years old maybe nearly three. We're trying Sven, High Voltage, and Super Hero.
    I gave them the best homes I could and before I left they were all fully leafed out and demonstrating impressive vigor.
    I'll try to update next year with their performance after a real winter.

• predfern
    11 years ago

Which Easy Elegance roses are fragrant?

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Right now I only have Music Box, but I think I may add Super Hero and Macy's Pride in the Spring. Chamblees carries quite a few of them :)

Tammy

• steelskies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think my favorite is Cashmir. Such a pretty deep red and always blooming, with double full flowers. Was wondering how Super Hero is different from Cashmir.

And DARN, I lost one of my Cashmir's, now
    am on the lookout for another. But its late in the season; doubt I'll find one now, (end of July).

I've just about given up on some of my other "non-elegant" roses!!! Veterans Honor hasn't even bloomed yet, very sorry plant with Tropicana, Also Double Delight is not doing well and am getting really sick of trying to prevent all the diseases they get.

I LOVE the Easy Elegance Roses. So pretty and easy to take care of.

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

I love EE roses! I plan to add more next year.
    I have the following EE roses currently in my gardens:

3 Paint the Town (+2 more this year)
    3 Funny Face (planted 2004-2005)
    3 Sunrise Sunset (planted 2006 and +2 more this year)
    1 Music Box (planted this year)
    2 Little Mischief (planted this year)
    2 My Girl (planted last year)

This is a picture of my round bed. In the background (sort of) are 2 My Girl and in front are 2 Paint the Town. I do little winter protection other than rake leaves around them in fall. Usually some cane die back, but not a lot most years. This past winter was warm and I had no die back. As you can see My Girl has gotten quite large! She is in constant bloom.
    {{gwi:328412}}

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Besides 'Sweet Fragrance', which of these are fragrant?

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

All the new roses planted last year came throuh the winter, long though it was, just fine. High Voltage is blooming and I'm pleased with it. I hadn't mentioned them, but I also added, among others, Jude the Obscure and Rosarium Utersen. They are blooming as well. Jude does smell very nice, and Rosarium is fragrant too.

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

Oh my heavens, I just realized that I never mentioned that I planted these roses in my Vermont garden!

No, not selected for Florida - I wouldn't be concerned about winter hardiness there.

I can't believe I didn't make that clear. My posts in this thread should make sense now. The roses I described above were planted in Vermont, zone 4.

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

Super Hero - surviving, healthy, but establishing slowly. It doesn't seem as vigorous as

High Voltage - healthy, seems not to have noticed the severity of the winter. I like it. An old fashioned yellow that opens bright, then gets lighter and lighter - approaching white and is mildly fragrant when nuzzled.

Or

Sven - healthy, seems not to have noticed the severity of the winter. Sprays of medium lilac pink clustered blooms reminiscent of a polyantha.

Note that Gerten's has ended its mail order business. I'm so glad I got 'em while the getting was good.

I believe that some of the EE Roses are available own root from Chamblees.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Kasmir is my favorite so far - the deep red blooms are so beautiful. I also have High Voltage. I love them. Will be planting more next year.

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

A related thread linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Elegance roses