Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

. For Kim

Suzy11
10 years ago

Are these leaves okay? I did spray them.

Comments (13)

• roseseek
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Suzy, there aren't any images or links to show the foliage. Kim

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I thought that I sent it

• roseseek
    10 years ago

For the most part, it looks just fine, Suzy. There are two leaflets I can see from your photo which appear to probably be older and perhaps discolored or even damaged by age and/or sprays. Kim

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought that maybe it could have been the spray. Can it return to normal? How do you spray so that does not happen? Is that why a leaves got lighter? How can you tell if it has been overwatered? A lot of questions

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Good questions! And Kim, what kind of program do you use so that you can draw on photos? I would like to be able to do that.
    Susan

• roseseek
    10 years ago

The darkened leaves might be able to return to green depending upon what is making them darker (blackened). If that is simply spray residue which can be wiped or washed off, then they should return to "normal" looking. If it is burn from the chemicals sprayed, then they will remain that discolored "blackened" until they either fall from the plant normally or you remove them. I can't suggest what to spray because it is going to depend upon how "green" you wish to be; what you are spraying for (insects, diseases); your conditions (which will determine what type of product you should use due to heat, aridity, intensity of sun, etc.).

I am fortunate in that my climate and conditions permit me to grow the roses I have chosen without having to spray them with anything other than water. Sounds wonderful, but it also causes many other issues, some rather extreme in comparison to many other climates and individual conditions. Whatever you select to use for whichever problems your rose encounters, follow the label instructions religiously. Take note of any temperature, sun and water issues they advise against using it under. Always keep the plant appropriately watered and fed prior to spraying anything. Never saturate the plant with any sprays. Even the most innocuous products CAN cause discoloration, even burn and other damage under the right conditions or when over applied. Often, the discoloration simply makes the plant unattractive. Sometimes, it can mean there is actual, physical damage. Following the instructions to the letter will result in the best results with the least possible damage and will expose YOU, your pets, friends, family and any birds or other wildlife which may visit to the least amount of the products possible.

Susan, my old lap top with Windows 7 and Windows Photo program, ate its hard drive. It's been replaced with the new "Atari version" Windows 8 (I HATE WINDOWS 8!) with its "Picture Tools." I find it is clunky and useless for massaging large numbers of photos to fix issues with them as each has to be handled individually, then closed before moving on to the next. Other programs allow you to scroll through the library of images from one to the next. This doesn't. It does permit you to be "cute" with your images and makes it much easier to "share them" on social media, which is the entire focus of Windows 8. 7 and prior editions, were actual "working programs" complete with programs. Windows 8 uses apps and "charms" instead of programs and icons. You never have the actual program, you just access them through your "charms", just like smart phones and other "imitation computers." Remember how Office came with many of the previous editions of Windows? Not now. You get to "rent" the use of it for a year for $99.99. It doesn't download to your computer. You access it by clicking on the Office "charm." If you have other editions of Office available to you, they can be installed but they won't access the way you are used to accessing them. You'll have to search for them through the cute "start" search, then open them and open what you want in them. Sorry, end of rant. Did I mention I HATE WINDOWS 8?

There are a number of programs which will permit you to draw on images and insert comments and captions. Windows 8 Picture Tools just makes those the main focus so you can be "cute" when wishing to share images with your closest million friends on social media. I still use Infranview for other corrections. It's shareware and available on line. Kim

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that I may have overdone the spray. Can I just pull the leaf off?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Sure you can! Or, if it doesn't bother you, it can left until the plant chooses to shed it. Personally, as long as the leaf is green, it is making food. If the plant chooses to hang on to it, the leaf is helping support the entire plant, so I leave it alone in my garden. Now, if it was in a client's garden and that sort of thing bothered them, heck yes, I'd pull it off. It all depends upon the desires of the person paying the bill. Kim

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL I actually bought the rosebush for my mother for Mother's Day. I have been taking care of it because she was sick. Over the summer it almost died three times. Now hopefully it is healthy. I may cut the leaves off because she looked at it and thought it was dying. It would be nice to make it look better if I could. I think and I will wash the leaves, see what happens and maybe cut the brown leaves off. How does it look if you give the bush too much water?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

The lower foliage will begin to yellow and continue pushing up to the newer growth. The plant can eventually become "spongy". Remember, too much water can literally drown the plant. Think of old produce in the vegetable crisper...rubbery celery, etc. Way too much water for way too long can turn plants like rubbery celery. Kim

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok Good info. I plucked off the brown leaves. Some leaves are lighter green then others, by any chance will they get darker? No more spray for me. If I use it someday I will go lightly. What confused me was that the instructions said to make sure that all leaves were covered

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Newer foliage can often be lighter green until it matures. Lighter green can also indicate nutrient deficiencies or lack of light. Over watering can leach out nitrogen, making it more difficult to absorb sufficient iron. It all depends upon how the "light green" appears, where it occurs on the plant and how the plant appears in general. Many issues can express the same, or very similar, symptoms. Kim

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Kim, I finally went Mac...but that's an entirely different swindling kettle of fish.
    They just don't make nothing like they used to!
    ; )Susan