Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Bands

Posted by icebird28 Dallas (icebird24@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 17:29

All,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and comments on roses on here. I'm a newbie and have never grown roses before and went a little crazy on bare roots for coming spring, however, I did receive 3 from Heirloom Roses which I think are called bands. I have a U-shaped house with a large deck in the middle where I have these 3 and they are getting several hours of morning sun.

I also have several 1 gallon plastic pots for them. My question is what is the best soil to pot them in or "homemade" recipe? They are growing fantastic putting out new reddish leaves like crazy so its time to graduate them up to a bigger pot.

Also, since I work for a food mfg company I have obtained many 5 gallon pails that I plan to drill holes in for the upcoming roses in spring since I just bought this house and intend on overhauling the yard after the foundation is repaired.

Please be gentle on me; I'd really like to give these 3 babies the best chance by providing them the best potting soil.

Sorry for rambling.

Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Bands

A premium potting mix is usually pretty good. Something with organics and goodies like mycorrhizae for root health. I also mix in a little pumice. Don't forget the names on the sides of the pots. The band ID plastics always seem to fade out on me.

o
RE: Transplanting Bands

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 22:08

Hi Michael! Welcome to roses!

Any good quality potting soil will work, with or without fertilizer and/or moisture crystals. It doesn't really matter as long as it's a good light weight, easily draining soil meant for pots. Never use garden soil or regular ground dirt because it's too heavy and will not drain well enough. Potted roses will need extra watering and fertilizing because they dry out quicker and nutrients get washed out quicker. So even if you buy the potting soil with fertilizer in it you have to feed them through the season anyway.

With the bands it is best to graduate them up in steps to bigger pots. So those 1 gallon pots are perfect. You would not want to put those tiny bands into the bigger 5 gallon buckets right away. Maybe next year though depending on how big they get.

Those 5 gallon buckets sound fine to start your bare roots in as long as you put in enough drainage holes. Bare roots are usually 1 year or older and larger in size then the bands to begin with. As the roses get larger you made need to put them in bigger pots though if it's going to be a while before you can plant them in the ground. For a full size mature (it takes about 3 years for a rose to mature) hybrid tea I go with 15 to 20 gallon pots. It will just depend on how long you have to keep them in the pots before you get your yard ready for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here