Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

When to take Rose cuttings?

canadianplant
10 years ago

Is it possible to take late season now or later) cuttings to root in the ground, in zone 4?

Comments (8)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Only if the rose is absolutely cane hardy there.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WE usually have deep snow and I usually mulch my plants well. This usually makes a difference.

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WE usually have deep snow and I usually mulch my plants well. This usually makes a difference.

• User
    10 years ago

I have played wth rooting cuttings directly in ground at various times of the season. In my experience, early spring is the best time followed by early fall. In early spring, putting the cuttings in full sun is OK, but for early fall, I found I have better luck if I place the cutting in places with a bit shade.

A tip: try not to pull the cuttings out to check how they developed. Most of my fall cuttings do callouse but do not really have a root system by the time winter arrives but do take in the following spring. However, I probably killed each and every one of those that I pulled out to see how they are doing. As long as part of the cuttings remain green/yellowish, you should leave them be.

• blackgavotte
    10 years ago

Okay, this is a wild chance, but a lady who lives near me has the most beautiful older rose bush, seems very healthy and disease free, a lovely soft pink, and she is more than willing to give me a cutting.. however, I have never, ever, had luck getting a rose cutting to take for me. Please anyone, advise me the best time and the best method... can I really just try to stick one in the ground? I tried several cuttings some years ago and not one took... did jars with covers, rooting compound, etc... maybe just sticking it in the ground may actually work... this rose is on its own roots too, it just sprang up on its own from a parent plant about 4 feet away... she doesn't know its name but its lovely. The parent bush is at least 40 years old she says. I'm in Nova Scotia near Yarmouth, currently getting some advice from rose forum people on better Austin or English types which will withstand the damp air here...

• dove_song
    10 years ago

The easiest (& most laziest way, lol :p) I've gotten cuttings to take was to just stick them (pencil thin and not tall) directly into the ground in early spring. Hope this helps you. :)

This post was edited by dove_song on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 12:43

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Blackgavotte and Canadianrose,

Here is an alternative method of propagating roses which may prove to have a much higher success rate than cutting. You need to do it quickly though before the rose becomes dormant. I would also suggest sealing the wound in the cane as soon as you cut the new root system off.

http://jack-rosarian.blogspot.com/2012/09/propagating-roses-by-air-layering-north.html?m=1

Best of luck

Josh

• User
    10 years ago

I missed my window for doing semi-ripe cuttings but will have a go at the old favourite, hardwood cuttings trenched in a nursery bed. I usually wait till leafdrop and winter dormancy, so end of October(ish). Nice quarter inch canes, with 2/3 incipient buds (around 8 inches long), stuck in a slit made with a spade. No cover, north side of house or garden. Can be done in a 5litre pot. Takes a whole year for a good root system to grow (no tugging or 'testing') so you would have a nice little plant, this time next year, ready to lift and transplant during dormancy. Not the most reliable (50% maybe), but certainly the easiest and least stress.