Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pelicanhead

Austin roses question

C Schaffner
12 years ago

Are there any Austin roses that don't droop? The two I have, Pat Austin and Bishops Castle are very droopy and I don't think I like that characteristic. But I love the flower form. I'm in zone 9.

Comments (20)

• stlgal
    12 years ago

Pat has weak stems and large arching growth so I think it is among the most 'droopy' I've tried.

You'd be best looking for one with strong stems and an 'upright' rather than 'arching' shape to the bush.

Among mine where the flowers don't droop (see my post below for other aspects of their growth/features are: Will Shakespeare, Evelyn, Munstead Wood, Countryman, Noble Anthony, Jude the Obscure, Tea Clipper, Harlow Carr. Many others...ask about specific other ones if you're curious.

I'm guessing that in z9 some of the larger varieties (Abe Darby, Golden Celebration, Teasing Georgia, will form even larger more arching shrubs so they might not be what you want.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Both my Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas have nodding blooms.

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Two that don't droop, and which are excellent roses for our climate are Princess Alexandra of Kent and Symphony.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Tamora and Perdita don't 'droop'. They're like more traditional floribundas. Kim

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Queen of Sweden definitely does not droop--and is beautiful and disease-resistant to boot. Delicate pastel pink with a hint of apricot. It's lovely.

Don't think I'd call Molineux a drooper. Perhaps a very slight incline of some of the blooms. Besides Molineux is one of the best rebloomers, even in the heat, and it likes to change colors ranging from yellow/creme to golden/yellow with strong amber centers sometimes. Even almost pinkish highlights occasionally. Quite fun to watch.

Mayflower doesn't droop either. One of Austin's healthiest roses. Pink.

Good luck in your search--so many lovelies to pick from.

Kate

• michaelg
    12 years ago

St. Cecilia has upright flowers on long cutting stems.

I suggest you give Pat a 6' tuteur or tripod and get the flowers up to where they look you in the eye. Plants with nodding flowers can be quite pretty.

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

Munsted Wood, Tamora, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Carding Mill, are some of the non-droopers in my garden.

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the information. I'll have to check them out and put in my order for next spring. I love the idea of the tripod. Pat Austin is one of my favorite flowers. It is right in the front and center of my rose bed and it would look great with a tripod. I'll have to go hunting.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Queen of Sweden, Wisley 2008, Charles Austin, L.D. Braithwaite don't droop for me. Wisley does lose its petals quickly. Queen of Sweden and L.D. B are my favorites!!!

Carol

• Mountie
    9 years ago

Bishop's Castle does droop, and that is exactly why I want him. I would like to plant him at the top of a wall, so that he will dangle over. This way, when I am walking by below, his flower will hang down, close to my nose! I think of droopy roses as "danglers". As with anything else, if used in the right place, or in the right way, it can be very beautiful or useful.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Oh darn!
    I ordered Bishop's Castle. I didn't know it drooped. I'll see if I can get it removed from my order.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Carol

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

The Wedgwood Rose is a drooper. I love her and her fragrance, but I use her as a short climber with support.

I think Teasing Georgia didn't droop. So far The Pilgrim hasn't, but mine's new.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

The Pilgrim doesn't droop so much right at the stem of the bloom, but it grows like a vine and needs support or your flowers will lay in the dirt (if it had flowers, which is almost never).

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

There is no droop in Tamora.

{{gwi:234859}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Oh, so my shy-blooming Pilgrim is just being normal? Too bad--she is a beauty when she (finally) gets around to blooming.

Drooping isn't always bad. In addition to the advantage Mountie pointed out, droopers are also desirable on climbers--since we have to look up at them anyway.

Kate

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Kate, our shy Pilgrims are indeed exquisite so I suppose they're worth all the hoping and waiting.

pelicanhead, I was just looking around the garden and wanted to share that two of my 1st DA year roses are upright bloomers. Boscobel & Heathcliff. Boscobel is a wonderful repeat bloomer, very fragrant, just a really swell rose. Heathcliff has nicely colored and shaped blooms that last a good while, but only fair repeat and not much fragrance.

• nastarana
    9 years ago

The Pilgrim didn't bloom for me either in zone 9 CA. For the same pretty soft yellow color, excellent rebloom, and modest but sturdy growth habit, try Symphony, if you can find it. RVR might have it.

• Mountie
    9 years ago

harryshoe,
    Do you like the fragrance of Tamora? What does she smell like, to you?

• jerijen
    9 years ago

'Prospero' doesn't "nod."

It's a shorter, very upright rose. And unlike many of its larger Austin-bred cousins, it blooms continuously in my mild, coastal SOCAL climate. It's good in a vase, too, and for us is very disease-resistant.

Jeri

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

I bought 3 Tamoras last year and they are all thriving. I find the scent very attractive, but hard to describe in words. If you have Carding Mill, that has a similar scent.