Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs

roseseek
10 years ago

One more "alien" pest to keep an eye out for. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Super Pest found in Sacramento

Comments (15)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

We have lots of stink bugs around here but I never seen them on plants...

10 years ago

Last year there were thousands of these stink bugs in our outside cellar way. They all died from winter and were laying all over the floor...

But I've never seen them on any of our roses/plants...
    Nor on our outside home grown tomatoes etc.....
    Creepy bugs they are though...

Probably more of a pest in your warmer longer Calf. climate....

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Oh great. I'm only 90 miles from Sac. Thanks for the heads up Kim!! Hopefully they won't make it up here anytime soon.

10 years ago

I did find this bit of info about stink bugs in our state....

"This insect is becoming an important agricultural pest in Pennsylvania. In 2010, it produced severe losses in some apple and peach orchards by damaging peaches and apples. It also has been found feeding on blackberry, sweet corn, field corn and soybeans."
    "This true bug has also been reported on many ornamental plants, weeds, soybeans and beans for human consumption."

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Hundreds somehow got in my sunroom for the winter and crawled out of the cracks throughout the spring, where I found them either alive or dead, and collected some each morning. No sign of plant damage. They squeeze into cracks in the exterior siding and enter the house around window frames, electric outlet plates, etc.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

"well-established and reproducing population" sounds ominous.
    Gross!

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

Jim,

Several of the plants you mentioned in your post belong to the Rosacae plant family. I don't know if these bugs will go after roses.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Apparently, they damage mainly fruits, not foliage or flowers. Let them eat hips!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On behalf of my fellow "pollen pimps", Michael, bite your tongue! LOL! Kim

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Well, according to that interesting article, at least they are a pest to that just-as-noxious invader, tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima).

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Well, yes. But what I am curious about is -- does this result in yet-another quarantine? And if so, do we presume it would include roses?

Jeri

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Hate that tree of heaven thing! And this looks like a big box elder year! No damage but I hate bugs.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

A few weeks ago, my fifteen year old granddaughter, the official garden photographer, and I were walking by some flowers when she called out to me "What's this thing?" Then "Here's another and another." She stopped, fascinated to observe that in the center of every coneflower and rudbeckia "Indian Summer" sat an ugly little bug, looking poised and ready for something important in the bug world. Since it was a couple of years short of 50 when I last attended college entomology class, I answered to Clare, "I think it's an assassin bug," and boy, I was dead wrong. On flower after flower, sat a lowly stink bug, probably wishing he were actually something exciting like an assassin bug. So herewith I give you Sir Stink on his throne, courtesy of Clare's photographic skills. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Ok, I'm getting mixed up as I do a little research on this bug. Experts out there, is this bug pictured a spined soldier bug (good guy) or a stink bug (sort of bad guy) of some kind? They did no damage and were gone the next day. But they definitely looked like they were waiting for some prey to happen by. Thanks for any help solving my little garden mystery. Diane

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Like the others here in the east, I've been inundated with stink bugs but have seen no damage from them on my roses. They are a nuisance, and they do stink when you squish or vacuum them or drop them in garbage disposal. People with perfectly clean and tidy houses find them much more offensive than those of us with mud on our shoes and pet hair on the couch.